GW IP: what makes it so strong? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
townizm

New

GW IP: what makes it so strong?

Post by townizm » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:34 pm

GW IP program places very well among all law schools in the US.

Personally, I like GW, but what makes it so strong?

DC placement and lots of alum makes that strong?

FredTheFish

New

Re: GW IP: what makes it so strong?

Post by FredTheFish » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:13 pm

I'm going to go off on a limb and say it's because prior to Obama, the only U.S. patent office was located in Virginia. I don't know if that is a good enough reason why GW's program is so highly regarded but it might be relevant.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:57 am

There's a very active IP club which plans a lot of networking events for students. And a wide selection of class offerings.

WhyYaCryin

New

Post by WhyYaCryin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:30 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:There's a very active IP club which plans a lot of networking events for students. And a wide selection of class offerings.
So would you say that employment statistics are skewed by students going into IP law? Do you think it's tough for a non-IP student to get biglaw at GW?

jewkidontheblock

Bronze

Post by jewkidontheblock » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:38 am

WhyYaCryin wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:There's a very active IP club which plans a lot of networking events for students. And a wide selection of class offerings.
So would you say that employment statistics are skewed by students going into IP law? Do you think it's tough for a non-IP student to get biglaw at GW?
The numbers are definitely skewed because of all the IP people. Objectively it's tough, but it depends on what other schools you're considering.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhyYaCryin

New

Post by WhyYaCryin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:54 am

Out of all the schools I'm considering, GW probably has the best biglaw numbers, but it's also the most expensive one. So I don't want to go there thinking I'd have a decent chance compared to Emory for example, when in reality it would be about the same thing.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:03 am

WhyYaCryin wrote:Out of all the schools I'm considering, GW probably has the best biglaw numbers, but it's also the most expensive one. So I don't want to go there thinking I'd have a decent chance compared to Emory for example, when in reality it would be about the same thing.
Be wary of going into either of those schools hoping for a decent chance at big law. Grades are a crap shoot, and 1 in 4 ain't great
considering opportunity cost alone—let alone whatever your loans will be.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:25 am

WhyYaCryin: not sure how skewed as I'm not really into IP myself. My IP friends have said firms come to GW for IP specifically. I was also told it's not too hard to get a job. IP club also holds sessions to train students for the interviews I believe.

I do not think it is incredibly hard to get biglaw outside of IP. As long as you are in the top of the class, I think you'll get something. I know many friends who are headed to firms.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:30 am

WhyYaCryin wrote:Out of all the schools I'm considering, GW probably has the best biglaw numbers, but it's also the most expensive one. So I don't want to go there thinking I'd have a decent chance compared to Emory for example, when in reality it would be about the same thing.
Where do you want to end up? I heard Atlanta is hard for outsiders; that's why I didn't go to Emory. GW has people from all over so connections are less important. Plus, lots of opportunities to intern/network that I do not think you'd have in Georgia. That's how I've seen people get a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:33 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:As long as you are in the top of the class
Yeah, so like I said: About 1 in 4 chance at biglaw, at best.

WhyYaCryin

New

Post by WhyYaCryin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:39 am

SMP, gotcha. The biglaw #s are not like a T14, and I know that. I was just curious what your chances are if, for example, the top 25% get biglaw and you're top 20% non IP - Would you have a decent chance or no? Because not all schools deal with this issue as heavily as GW does.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:42 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:WhyYaCryin: not sure how skewed as I'm not really into IP myself. My IP friends have said firms come to GW for IP specifically. I was also told it's not too hard to get a job. IP club also holds sessions to train students for the interviews I believe.
If you had to guess, I'm curious what would guess the percentage of each class has a technical background. I've always wondered this, but it's something you can't really look up.
Last edited by SplitMyPants on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:44 am

As a GW applicant, I'm interested in this as well... I work in biglaw now as a patent agent, and am wondering whether paying sticker at GW is worth it as opposed to a lower ranking school if I already have a job lined up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhyYaCryin

New

Post by WhyYaCryin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:46 am

SplitMyPants wrote: it's something you can really look up.
How?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:52 am

WhyYaCryin wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote: it's something you can really look up.
How?
sorry: can't***

WhyYaCryin

New

Post by WhyYaCryin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:54 am

Lol damn. Thought you were about to enlighten me.

OutOfTheQuestion

Bronze

Post by OutOfTheQuestion » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:52 pm

trmckenz wrote:As a GW applicant, I'm interested in this as well... I work in biglaw now as a patent agent, and am wondering whether paying sticker at GW is worth it as opposed to a lower ranking school if I already have a job lined up.
I definitely would not pay sticker at GW. That's an expensive sticker, and GW gives a ton of scholarship money if you have the right numbers. Consider retaking the LSAT if that's a possibility for you, a couple point boost seems to go a looong way for them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:36 pm

trmckenz wrote:As a GW applicant, I'm interested in this as well... I work in biglaw now as a patent agent, and am wondering whether paying sticker at GW is worth it as opposed to a lower ranking school if I already have a job lined up.
I know a guy who was interested in IP (had engineering background). He got into better ranked schools, but chose GW. They threw some money at him though. So try and leverage other acceptances if you want GW, but not at sticker. Since you already have a job, you may not care about rank and the GW networking; which is totally fine. Just weigh your priorities.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:39 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:If you had to guess, I'm curious what would guess the percentage of each class has a technical background. I've always wondered this, but it's something you can't really look up.
Can't really even guess a solid number, sorry. I looked up the entering class profile; it did not break-down the students by degree. Due to self-selection, GW probably has a higher percentage than other schools (since they come to study IP).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”