An addendum for a low LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
twhy77

An addendum for a low LSAT

Postby twhy77 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:08 am

Was wondering if anyone could give this a read through. I don't want it to come off too whiny, but I think they should know how my testing conditions were.

Addendum for a Low LSAT

In my current profession, I often must perform an equity analysis upon a home to know how pursuing a foreclosure will affect our company. The equity analysis consists of a comparison of two numerical values that represent our estimated sales performance in the market of the property in question. In markets that are performing well, we will often base our decisions off of the higher value, and vice versa for the lower performing markets. I bring this up because it correlates well with my LSAT scores.

You will be presented with two LSAT scores. The first, a mediocre ***, is indicative of unsatisfactory testing conditions and my reaction to them. During the first section of the test, the proctors were an obvious distraction for all as they set and reset their beeping timers (in the middle of the section), carried on a conversation with each other, and left the room nearly every two to three minutes. I should have done a better job of ignoring them, but nonetheless my concentration was broken and the damage done. I have taken the test a second time, and am confident my second score will be higher. I ask that the admissions council view this second score as closer to my true performance on the LSAT.

I know historically the average of a candidate’s LSAT scores have been the best indicator of how that student will fare in law school. I can only hope that my resume and academic success will provide the basis for viewing my performance on the second test as closer to my true ability to succeed as a student at Notre Dame.

doctorgonzo

Postby doctorgonzo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:13 am

Doing an addendum because of bad testing conditions is almost always a bad idea. If the testing conditions were bad, complain to LSAC. If they agree, they will try to make amends in some way. If they don't agree or you don't complain, telling the adcomms about it won't do any good. They aren't going to be able to investigate the circumstances surrounding your test, and no matter what you say, you are going to come off as whiny or trying to find an excuse for your score. It's best to just leave it alone.

YogaAddict

Postby YogaAddict » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:20 am

Also, some school do take the higher of two scores. There is a thread related to this, although I am not sure where. Look at specific schools to see if they consider the highest and disregard the lowest LSAT score. In these cases, I feel they assume bad conditions or another circumstance contributing to the mediocre performance.

twhy77

Postby twhy77 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:42 am

Well, I had a meeting with the adcomm from Notre Dame, and she said they do take the higher of the two scores, but that they also consider both scores as a major factor. She said adding an addendum would be an excellent idea, and gave me ideas to spruce it up, like attach a copy of the scoring section showing the first section's performance.

It is not really a question of whether I should add one or not, just a question of how this one reads. Might be a good template for anybody else wanting to add an addendum.

finger

Postby finger » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:19 am

You'd better be absolutely certain that your second score will be higher if you're going to submit that. I wouldn't bother either way. It sounds like you're whining...

doctorgonzo

Postby doctorgonzo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:10 am

If you are wondering how your current addendum reads, it doesn't read well, especially the first paragraph.

You are basically implying that you are the expert when it comes to interpreting numerical data. Since it is the job of adcomms to interpret LSAT scores and they have been doing so for a very long time, anything that implies that you know more (or even as much) about the subject is going to come off really bad. It's their job to interpret the scores of thousands of applicants. You have experience with one LSAT score that you know and another score that could be just as bad as the first one for all you know at this point. You really don't have a leg to stand on, your experience in your current profession notwithstanding.

I see this addendum as sounding pretty whiny and arrogant. Writing an addendum to try to justify your low LSAT score without sounding whiny and arrogant is going to be a tough sell.

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:27 am

DELETED

twhy77

Postby twhy77 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:43 am

Thank you for the advice. The fact still remains she told me writing an addendum about the testing conditions would be a good idea.

Can anyone point out to me where it sounds arrogant? Is it just the tone...because all I'm trying to do is draw a comparison between the situations. I tried to make the part about the poor testing conditions as short as possible to avoid sounding whiny...should I leave it out all together?

I'm just looking for some constructive crit considering I was told by the adcomm to write one, and even pitched this idea to her and she liked it.

PS- I also had verification from other testers that the same proctor was going into every other room and doing the same thing and how their section one was completely skewed because of it...

And I don't think I blame it all on the proctor, I also blame myself for losing my concentration because of it.

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:51 am

DELETED

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:52 am

DELETED

doctorgonzo

Postby doctorgonzo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:53 am

I would agree with Erin. It's kind of hard to give good advice on what you would say when none of us here would dream of writing such an addendum in the first place. Frankly, I'm surprised that somebody from an adcomm would even suggest such a thing. Anna Ivey uses an addendum like this as an example of precisely when you should NOT write an addendum.

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:57 am

DELETED

twhy77

Postby twhy77 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:57 am

Well, you guys are obviously the experts. Thanks.

doctorgonzo

Postby doctorgonzo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:59 am

She is the former Dean of Admissions at the Chicago Law School who wrote a great book called The Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions which basically taught me everything I know about the admissions process that I didn't learn here on TLS. I would highly recommend it.

westvirginia

Postby westvirginia » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:00 am

twhy - don't take it personally! I think mostly everyone on here just wants each other to do well, and so they get a little verklempt when they see someone doing something they might consider a bad idea. We want you to succeed!!

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:06 am

DELETED

twhy77

Postby twhy77 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:07 am

Uzmanti that is exactly the kind of help I'm looking for...that sounds much better. Only problem is I don't know what score #2 is. But its, higher, trust me on this one...

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:08 am

DELETED

doctorgonzo

Postby doctorgonzo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:10 am

I would at least wait until you have the new score. If it is just a few points higher, you are going to look pretty silly writing an addendum.

If I did have to write an addendum like that, Uzu's paragraph is what I would write.

twhy77

Postby twhy77 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:10 am

I got my diagnostic on the first test...here's my thread describing the day http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... highlight=

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:13 am

DELETED

twhy77

Postby twhy77 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:23 am

I estimating 7-8 points higher...

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:25 am

DELETED

doctorgonzo

Postby doctorgonzo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:30 am

I estimating 7-8 points higher...

Better to be sure, though. If you are assuming 7-8 points higher based on your practice tests, that's not enough to go on.

DELETED

Postby DELETED » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:36 am

DELETED

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”