Will my work experience count for anything? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
redfox7

New

Will my work experience count for anything?

Post by redfox7 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:05 pm

I have two years experience working in call centers for two relatively large companies in health care/ health insurance. I have some decent knowledge about the industry and have spoke to countless people but would this type of work experience mean anything to an admissions board? It's obviously not legal work or a prestigious internship but it's not bagging groceries either...

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:06 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

urbanist11

Silver

Post removed.

Post by urbanist11 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by urbanist11 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redfox7

New

Re: Will my work experience count for anything?

Post by redfox7 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
redfox7 wrote:I have two years experience working in call centers for two relatively large companies in health care/ health insurance. I have some decent knowledge about the industry and have spoke to countless people but would this type of work experience mean anything to an admissions board? It's obviously not legal work or a prestigious internship but it's not bagging groceries either...
lol call center work is worse than bagging groceries. At least the bagger gets to solve how to best bag the stuff.
I won't argue that one bit...

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:43 pm

redfox7 wrote: I won't argue that one bit...
I'm not sure if you took offense to DF, and even if you didn't, I would suggest to search through the different forums and threads, because your question has been answered in numerous others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redfox7

New

Post by redfox7 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:15 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
redfox7 wrote: I won't argue that one bit...
I'm not sure if you took offense to DF, and even if you didn't, I would suggest to search through the different forums and threads, because your question has been answered in numerous others.
I didn't take any offense, I should've included an "lol."

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:46 pm

6 year call center vet here. The WE isn't going to do much for you for admissions purposes. But in the future it can help you with jobs as long as you don't tell people it's call center work. Just say things like "assisted clients with XYZ" on your resume.

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:6 year call center vet here. The WE isn't going to do much for you for admissions purposes. But in the future it can help you with jobs as long as you don't tell people it's call center work. Just say things like "assisted clients with XYZ" on your resume.
How do you expect them to keep people from knowing what it was? People will ask, especially if it's really vague on your resume.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:19 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Companion Cube wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:6 year call center vet here. The WE isn't going to do much for you for admissions purposes. But in the future it can help you with jobs as long as you don't tell people it's call center work. Just say things like "assisted clients with XYZ" on your resume.
How do you expect them to keep people from knowing what it was? People will ask, especially if it's really vague on your resume.
By the time they ask you're already in good shape. At that point you can fashion a nuanced answer that explains what you learned.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:53 pm

It may matter a bit to some schools who want to say they admitted only x% of K-JDs.

However, I doubt this kind of experience will be much of a boost for employment--and that's not entirely unrelated to whether a school will see it as a plus for admissions purposes. You need something at least tangentially important to understanding law in a particular area. GPA and your school's OCI connections (loosely correlated with US News rank, but there are some differences) are like 85% of the battle, and beyond that your interviewing skills make up most of the remaining 15%. The only exceptions I've seen that make a significant difference beyond this is URM status (though to a lesser degree than admissions), IP-eligible, and combat veteran status.

Non-patent w/e is more of a tie-breaker with other, equally school/class ranked people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”