A Message to Incoming T-14 Students Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Clearly

Gold

Re: A Message to Incoming T-14 Students

Post by Clearly » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:50 am

thesealocust wrote:Preaching to TLS about its behavior is a little odd. This website isn't centrally planned - it's just a bunch of random people (often hyper-analytical and socially maladjusted people) mouthing off about this crazy educational system and industry of ours.

People here can absolutely be snarky to a fault, but I'm not sure what grounds you have to expect them to do anything differently. Somebody made a cheap joke about starting your own law school discussion forum, but it's a good point that there are other places you can have these discussions if you don't like it here. Autoadmit is a wretched hive of scum and villainy, law school discussion at least used to exist, reddit.com/r/lawschool seems a little like TLS used to be back when it was cute and innocent, etc.

I think the general attitude of TLS is doing the world a huge favor by partially correcting the otherwise catastrophic market failure brought about by the combination of unlimited guaranteed student loans, unregulated school marketing materials, a recession, and a generation of people raised by watching Law & Order.
lol at r/lawschool description. They are so adorable over there.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:52 am

yea

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:53 am

Ron Howard wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Preaching to TLS about its behavior is a little odd. This website isn't centrally planned - it's just a bunch of random people (often hyper-analytical and socially maladjusted people) mouthing off about this crazy educational system and industry of ours.

People here can absolutely be snarky to a fault, but I'm not sure what grounds you have to expect them to do anything differently. Somebody made a cheap joke about starting your own law school discussion forum, but it's a good point that there are other places you can have these discussions if you don't like it here. Autoadmit is a wretched hive of scum and villainy, law school discussion at least used to exist, reddit.com/r/lawschool seems a little like TLS used to be back when it was cute and innocent, etc.

I think the general attitude of TLS is doing the world a huge favor by partially correcting the otherwise catastrophic market failure brought about by the combination of unlimited guaranteed student loans, unregulated school marketing materials, a recession, and a generation of people raised by watching Law & Order.
I just checked out those websites, and I was thoroughly disgusted with each and every one of them. Some of the advice given was truly abhorrent. For all its shortcomings, TLS is a great community. I just believe it could benefit from some posters putting a little more care into their posts. You, for instance, rarely, if ever, phrase things in an unnecessarily coarse fashion.
I do agree with the sentiment here. TLS offers great advice and there's a lot of knowledge here. But I do wish that people would be more mindful of their tone and phrasing. There are a lot of insulting and condescending posts towards people that are naive or ignorant through no fault of their own. The type of knowledge that is considered commonplace here is pretty rare in the real world (especially at undergraduate institutions).

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:15 am

lawman84 wrote:
Ron Howard wrote:

I just checked out those websites, and I was thoroughly disgusted with each and every one of them. Some of the advice given was truly abhorrent. For all its shortcomings, TLS is a great community. I just believe it could benefit from some posters putting a little more care into their posts. You, for instance, rarely, if ever, phrase things in an unnecessarily coarse fashion.
I do agree with the sentiment here. TLS offers great advice and there's a lot of knowledge here. But I do wish that people would be more mindful of their tone and phrasing. There are a lot of insulting and condescending posts towards people that are naive or ignorant through no fault of their own. The type of knowledge that is considered commonplace here is pretty rare in the real world (especially at undergraduate institutions).
I agree mostly with your point, but stick around for several years and see how any people ask the same dumb thing every single day before judging those that get a little pissy sometimes. I try to maintain my composure, and usually do, but I could see how some people get short.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:22 am

Clearly wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Ron Howard wrote:

I agree mostly with your point, but stick around for several years and see how any people ask the same dumb thing every single day before judging those that get a little pissy sometimes. I try to maintain my composure, and usually do, but I could see how some people get short.
Just don't answer the question if it annoys you. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:25 am

lawman84 wrote:Just don't answer the question if it annoys you. :wink:
See, that was actually a huge problem in the early days. Nobody stuck around after the LSAT - TLS had a thriving population of not-yet-law-students foaming at the mouth and discussing things, but basically nobody who had even finished the first year of law school. Many of the forum's boards came years after TLS became popular (legal employment, forum for graduates, bar exam studying, etc.). So for quite a while, it was actually just clueless people doing their best to give advice to other clueless people, and I think it had a lot to do with the hivemind developing the 'attitude' under discussion in this thread.

For a long time TLS had a reputation for being overly optimistic and sunny, until the group of people who had been to the mountain top could return with the stone tablets of debt, unemployment, anxiety disorders, etc.

Now, none of that means venomous replies to dumb questions as necessary or appropriate - it's just interesting historical context.
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:41 am

chimp wrote:your congratulatory masturbation is misguided, overinclusive, and, at the same time, underinclusive.
Thread should have ended here really.

Up yours TSL I'm socially angelic.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:54 pm

why does everyone butcher my moniker

Ron Howard

Bronze

Post by Ron Howard » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:40 pm

jbagelboy wrote:why does everyone butcher my moniker
My sincerest apologizes, jbagelboy. You deserve better than that. Yet in the heat of this thread, I hit a wrong key. That is really no excuse, but I am sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Ron Howard wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:why does everyone butcher my moniker
My sincerest apologizes, jbagelboy. You deserve better than that. Yet in the heat of this thread, I hit a wrong key. That is really no excuse, but I am sorry.
no worries i just never foresaw so many variations

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:50 am

Elston Gunn wrote:
spleenworship wrote: The thing is that if you have a pulse, a brain, and a BA, chances are you are getting into at least one T14. T
what?
The LSAT is learnable. So, if you have brains, you have a good chance of getting into at least one T14, even if it is one of the lower ones. I'm assuming, thanks to grade inflation, that we're also talking about a 3.0 or better UGPA.

In any case, my point is it isn't that big a deal to get into a T14, certainly not these days.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”