What should I do? 171/4.0 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lurker1919

New

What should I do? 171/4.0

Post by Lurker1919 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:35 pm

I have a 171 lsat and a 4.0 from an ivy league school. Really want Harvard or Columbia. Thoughts?

$alty

New

Re: What should I do? 171/4.0

Post by $alty » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:38 pm

you should be fine.

AnMzungu

Bronze

Post by AnMzungu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:23 pm

If was in your position I would retake for the big money at Columbia.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:53 pm

AnMzungu wrote:If was in your position I would retake for the big money at Columbia.
Agreed, a few more points on the LSAT would be huge for you unless you're someone who would take sticker at HY over a full ride at CCN.

Lurker1919

New

Post by Lurker1919 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:17 am

hoos89 wrote:
AnMzungu wrote:If was in your position I would retake for the big money at Columbia.
Agreed, a few more points on the LSAT would be huge for you unless you're someone who would take sticker at HY over a full ride at CCN.
If I would be someone to take the former, would it not be worth to retake then?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UpandDown97

Bronze

Post by UpandDown97 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:35 am

Last edited by UpandDown97 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:38 am

Were you scoring consistently higher on PTs? If so, retake because it can only help. Otherwise enjoy raking in the money with those numbers.

Lurker1919

New

Post by Lurker1919 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:41 am

malleus discentium wrote:Were you scoring consistently higher on PTs? If so, retake because it can only help. Otherwise enjoy raking in the money with those numbers.
Where do you think I can get money with those numbers?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:42 am

You have a 4.0 from an Ivy League school and want to go into law? Wtf. Get a job now. You don't need to go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:47 am

JohannDeMann wrote:You have a 4.0 from an Ivy League school and want to go into law? Wtf. Get a job now. You don't need to go to law school.
This

If you must go then retake

everton125

New

Post by everton125 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:06 am

UpandDown97 wrote:
Lurker1919 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
Having already scored a 171, it is going to be very very difficult to get any higher points. You could save yourself time, effort, money and pain and not retake. Or you could retake, maybe get a higher score, and more surely secure Columbia.
Having been someone who retook a 170 and scored a 173 after two months of studying, I could not disprove more of this guy's attitude. I was working 70 hours a week when I retook, so I don't really have any sympathy for people who don't at least try (albeit, I understand there may be extenuating circumstances for some people). I am not sure where this guy gets off saying a 171 is going to be so difficult for you to improve upon....

If you actually have a 4.0 from a top ivy league school, then it is my opinion that you probably underperformed on the LSAT. Make of that what you will, but I hope it pushes you to study more and try again.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:46 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:You have a 4.0 from an Ivy League school and want to go into law? Wtf. Get a job now. You don't need to go to law school.
This

Also a good point. What was your major in? Seriously most people hate being lawyers even if they're successful.

Lurker1919

New

Post by Lurker1919 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:26 pm

hoos89 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
This

Also a good point. What was your major in? Seriously most people hate being lawyers even if they're successful.
Studied religious studies

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UpandDown97

Bronze

Post by UpandDown97 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:22 pm

Last edited by UpandDown97 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JusPassItToWill

New

Post by JusPassItToWill » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:50 pm

UpandDown97 wrote:
everton125 wrote:
UpandDown97 wrote:
Lurker1919 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
Having already scored a 171, it is going to be very very difficult to get any higher points. You could save yourself time, effort, money and pain and not retake. Or you could retake, maybe get a higher score, and more surely secure Columbia.
Having been someone who retook a 170 and scored a 173 after two months of studying, I could not disprove more of this guy's attitude. I was working 70 hours a week when I retook, so I don't really have any sympathy for people who don't at least try (albeit, I understand there may be extenuating circumstances for some people). I am not sure where this guy gets off saying a 171 is going to be so difficult for you to improve upon....

If you actually have a 4.0 from a top ivy league school, then it is my opinion that you probably underperformed on the LSAT. Make of that what you will, but I hope it pushes you to study more and try again.
Jeez, "my attitude." That's stupid and a low blow. It's been studied and shown that after 167, the returns on retaking are very low. There's even a high likelihood you'll go down.

I never knew this website was so agency focused. "If you try, try, try, you'll succeed. Never mind the limits of imperfect test taking"
He was kinda harsh about it, but it's true. I was a similar case as OP (lower GPA, but a 170 on the first take and from an Ivy), and though I considered not retaking, I did it anyways, and went up 10 points after studying for just 4 more months. I know those are probably not indicative, but considering just 3 points more can put him above the medians for all law schools, I really think that retaking has immense value, and is not impossible.

OP, your scores are stellar, but if you are willing to do so, retaking is a pretty great option too.

UpandDown97

Bronze

Post by UpandDown97 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:05 pm

JusPassItToWill wrote:
UpandDown97 wrote:
everton125 wrote:
UpandDown97 wrote:
Lurker1919 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

Jeez, "my attitude." That's stupid and a low blow. It's been studied and shown that after 167, the returns on retaking are very low. There's even a high likelihood you'll go down.

I never knew this website was so agency focused. "If you try, try, try, you'll succeed. Never mind the limits of imperfect test taking"
He was kinda harsh about it, but it's true. I was a similar case as OP (lower GPA, but a 170 on the first take and from an Ivy), and though I considered not retaking, I did it anyways, and went up 10 points after studying for just 4 more months. I know those are probably not indicative, but considering just 3 points more can put him above the medians for all law schools, I really think that retaking has immense value, and is not impossible.

OP, your scores are stellar, but if you are willing to do so, retaking is a pretty great option too.
It's awesome that you went up, and for my argument, even more awesome you recognize that your experience is probably not indicative.

As I mentioned, yeah, OP might go up. OP might not. It's a risk, and the downside is a lot of lost time, effort, money, etc. If that downside is too great for the marginally possible increase in score, then he's' not making a foolish decision since he's sitting pretty at a 170.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:13 pm

I think malleus' question about PTs is key here. Someone PTing 175-189 who gets a 171 may reasonably consider retaking. Someone who was PTing 167-169 after really thorough and dedicated study may reasonably choose not to, especially depending on their goals. Lost time/effort/money completely depends on the person; retaking isn't automatically some kind of horrific torture to no end.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JusPassItToWill

New

Post by JusPassItToWill » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think malleus' question about PTs is key here. Someone PTing 175-189 who gets a 171 may reasonably consider retaking. Someone who was PTing 167-169 after really thorough and dedicated study may reasonably choose not to, especially depending on their goals. Lost time/effort/money completely depends on the person; retaking isn't automatically some kind of horrific torture to no end.
I wish I were PTing at 189 :cry:

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:24 pm

JusPassItToWill wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think malleus' question about PTs is key here. Someone PTing 175-189 who gets a 171 may reasonably consider retaking. Someone who was PTing 167-169 after really thorough and dedicated study may reasonably choose not to, especially depending on their goals. Lost time/effort/money completely depends on the person; retaking isn't automatically some kind of horrific torture to no end.
I wish I were PTing at 189 :cry:
Ha! Oops. Phone posting.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:25 am

Lurker1919 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
This

You aren't considering graduate school? Wow

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:40 am

PrezRand wrote:
Lurker1919 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
This

I mean, people crap all over law school and the legal market, but it's still wayyyyyyyy better than the academic job market, especially in religious studies.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:49 am

I had the exact same number as OP, right down to the unmarketable Ivy League humanities degree. I re-took to maximize chances at HYS and increase potential merit aid from CCN. Went from 171 to 173 on retake. It wasn't as big an increase as I had hoped, but I'd say it was still worth the effort. I ended up with offers from H + S and a half-tuition scholarship from Chicago.

And Anony is right about the job market for newly-minted humanities PhDs. My original career plan had been to become an academic, but I changed my mind after my thesis advisor told me how tough it was to even break into academia with a full-time job. Sure, everyone talks about how draining biglaw is, but I'd rather be employed than jobless.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:48 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Lurker1919 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
This

I mean, people crap all over law school and the legal market, but it's still wayyyyyyyy better than the academic job market, especially in religious studies.
I know that, but if he went to a top 5 or 10 grad school, his chances for a job would be good.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:05 pm

PrezRand wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Lurker1919 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
This

I know that, but if he went to a top 5 or 10 grad school, his chances for a job would be good.
It's not really that simple.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:28 pm

The most recent stats show that people with a 171 who repeated increased their score by an average of 1.4 points. The standard deviation was four points, which translates to around a 20% chance of getting a 175 or better. Since every point of increase in this situation would result in far better offers, and since a lower score doesn't hurt applicants . . .

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”