Reapplication Decision

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Estro_lema
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Reapplication Decision

Postby Estro_lema » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:23 pm

Hello. I'm fairly new to this, but would appreciate any advice I can get.

My stats: 3.8/171. KJD, average sorts, volunteer work. White male. Top state university.

Out from HYS. In at Chicago ($15k/yr) and Columbia. Should I withdraw and reapply? I would retake the LSAT. Last year, (at the advice of my prelaw advisor, which I now regret...) I rushed and studied like mad for 6 weeks to take the June LSAT. Was still improving on my PT's.

My rationale would be for another shot at HYS and/or to secure a half/full scholarship at Chicago or Columbia (both of which are schools that I already love, though Columbia a bit more).

What are the risks? It seems like a gamble and I might not be willing to accept the worst outcome (which would be...?).

Thanks for your input.
Last edited by Estro_lema on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xylocarp
Posts: 4740
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby xylocarp » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:25 pm

Only one thread per topic please. I'm locking this one because the other has a response, but PM me if you want it the other way around.

Edit: Switched at the request of OP

User avatar
R. Jeeves
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:36 pm

How much $ do you have from other t14s?

Estro_lema
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby Estro_lema » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:39 pm

pulstar wrote:How much $ do you have from other t14s?


$30k/yr at Duke, UVA, Michigan.

User avatar
R. Jeeves
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby R. Jeeves » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:51 pm

I think the worst case scenario is you getting YP'd at the lower T-14s that you've already been accepted to and turned down $ from while also failing to get into HYS or CCN with more $.

But if you're sure you can bump your LSAT by a couple points its worth it IMO. What will you be doing during your year off (besides LSAT prep)? Also is your GPA going to change at all?
Last edited by R. Jeeves on Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Retake reapply and get some WE. Easy

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:10 pm

Congrats on getting into great schools! Since you're k-jd, I'm always supportive of waiting and reapplying (not really to get into a different school at a higher price, but to receive a higher scholarship at schools you're already admitted to). I think Chicago or Columbia with $45k-$50k isn't a bad choice per se, but with your grades, youth and room for improvement, taking another year or two before making this choice is very sensible.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:58 pm

Retake if you feel confident that you can improve. Just 2 more points (173) should substantially enhance your law school options. If you can improve by 3 points to a 174, then you should be admitted everywhere & you should receive a few T-14 full tuition scholarship offers.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15471
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:11 pm

I would try to negotiate one of Duke, UVA or Michigan up to something closer to full tuition. Nothing wrong with waiting though.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11942
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I would try to negotiate one of Duke, UVA or Michigan up to something closer to full tuition. Nothing wrong with waiting though.

This.
What are your career goals, OP?

Estro_lema
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby Estro_lema » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:24 pm

If I wait a year, I would most likely spend it in a small/unknown firm in Germany. I'm bilingual and am interested in international arbitration or even immigration or international human rights (ie wide, international interests). I definitely would not be doing anything related to that if abroad this next year, though. I also don't see my GPA changing by more than .01, max .02.

A note: I'm from the Maryland area and I also like UVA's offer, but pulstar's worst case scenario is something that I have also been thinking about.

User avatar
R. Jeeves
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: Reapplication Decision

Postby R. Jeeves » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:44 am

I'm not sure what the odd's of the previously mentioned worst case scenario occurring actually are. I'm guessing that if you score a 173+, work in Germany for a bit, and blanket the T-14 when you reapply, then you'll probably be in a good spot.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], whodareswins and 3 guests