Applying ED to Two Schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Krush

New

Applying ED to Two Schools?

Post by Krush » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Before I'm crucified, let me explain.

My numbers are weak: 164 (can't retake, I'm just this dumb), 3.65-3.70 GPA. Good softs, but nothing differentiating. Minority/diversity, but not underrepresented. Thus, I am not competitive for any of the T14 schools.

Considering that UPenn has an ED deadline of January 7th with a decision sent by January 31st, and Georgetown guarantees a decision within 3 weeks if you apply by February 1st (although they do accept later submissions), I am wondering whether anyone sees/knows of a conflict in applying to UPenn ED, and assuming rejection then applying to Gerogetown ED immediately afterward. Only thing I could see is if I'm waitlisted to UPenn, am I still bound to enroll if a spot opens up?

Although I am going to apply to several other T14s because I have a ton of fee waivers and so the opportunity cost is low, I don't expect admission to any. As such, I would (in order of preference), attend either UPenn or Georgetown at sticker, given that I have family/would practice in either area and the financial blow would be softened by help from parents.

Thanks in advance!

banjo

Silver

Re: Applying ED to Two Schools?

Post by banjo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:37 pm

I don't think that strategy breaks any rules, but don't ED anywhere. Neither Penn nor GULC is worth its non-discounted cost.

Why can't you retake? I retook that exact score and improved 12 points. Don't settle for a 164.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:41 pm

The strategy breaks no rules. I did something similar and it was fine.

Krush

New

Post by Krush » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:43 pm

banjo wrote:I don't think that strategy breaks any rules, but don't ED anywhere. Neither Penn nor GULC is worth its non-discounted cost.

Why can't you retake? I retook that exact score and improved 12 points. What are your current study methods?
Thanks for the reply.

Maxed out LSAT attempts (3 takes in 2014). Next opportunity would be February 2016, but more likely June 2016 for 2017 enrollment. So far away it seems irrelevant.

I PT'd (timed, full sections) high 160s/low 170s, but couldn't perform on test day.

This considered, my non-UPenn/GULC options are probably schools like BC, BU, GW with token $ if I'm even admitted. Otherwise I'm looking at W&M types, I think. Considering financial assistance from parents, wouldn't however marginal a shot at UPenn at least be worth it?

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Krush wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

Maxed out LSAT attempts (3 takes in 2014). Next opportunity would be February 2016, but more likely June 2016 for 2017 enrollment. So far away it seems irrelevant.

I PT'd (timed, full sections) high 160s/low 170s, but couldn't perform on test day.

This considered, my non-UPenn/GULC options are probably schools like BC, BU, GW with token $ if I'm even admitted. Otherwise I'm looking at W&M types, I think. Considering financial assistance from parents, wouldn't however marginal a shot at UPenn at least be worth it?
Sure. It's your $$. Not gonna lie, if I could attend the highest ranked LS I was accepted to (due to parental backing), I would in a heart beat. Instead, I'm limited by where I get significant schollys.

Others, however, will tell you it's still a waste of $$. It's truly your decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:56 pm

If you're above Cornell's GPA median, I might ED there instead of Penn. Penn is almost a waste of an application fee with those numbers. You have until, like, tomorrow to get that in though.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:56 pm

Krush wrote:
banjo wrote:I don't think that strategy breaks any rules, but don't ED anywhere. Neither Penn nor GULC is worth its non-discounted cost.

Why can't you retake? I retook that exact score and improved 12 points. What are your current study methods?
Thanks for the reply.

Why not take a few years off to work and retake in 2016? How many years out of college are you? You could end up saving your parents hundreds of thousands of dollars. That money probably goes to you after they die anyway, so you're essentially borrowing the money from your future self.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:57 pm

twenty wrote:If you're above Cornell's GPA median, I might ED there instead of Penn. Penn is almost a waste of an application fee with those numbers. You have until, like, tomorrow to get that in though.
Yea this or GULC if all you care about is getting into a T14. Penn would be a waste of money/time.

Krush

New

Post by Krush » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:06 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
twenty wrote:If you're above Cornell's GPA median, I might ED there instead of Penn. Penn is almost a waste of an application fee with those numbers. You have until, like, tomorrow to get that in though.
Yea this or GULC if all you care about is getting into a T14. Penn would be a waste of money/time.
It's not that I'm solely interested in a T14. UPenn and GULC are the only schools I would go to regardless of other realistic options (again BC, BU etc. which even Georgetown is better than) considering geography/my connections etc. I might take BC with some $ over Cornell with no $, again given geography/connections.
banjo wrote:Why not take a few years off to work and retake in 2016? How many years out of college are you? You could end up saving your parents hundreds of thousands of dollars. That money probably goes to you after they die anyway, so you're essentially borrowing the money from your future self.
I graduated undergrad in 2013, so about a year and a half out of undergrad. This is probably true, and I've considered, but I might as well complete a cycle now as that shouldn't really have an affect upon retaking in 2016 if I feel like it, no?

Thanks all for the help!
Last edited by Krush on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Krush

New

Post by Krush » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Krush wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
It's not that I'm solely interested in a T14. UPenn and GULC are the only schools I would go to regardless of other realistic options (again BC, BU etc. which even Georgetown is better than) considering geography/my connections etc. I might take BC with some $ over Cornell with no $, again given geography/connections.
To clarify and for anyone who cares, I want to live in an area during law school that has job options for my girlfriend. We've lived in DC/Philly/Boston, have family in all three and they're obviously major markets where she can work an office job. Ithaca, not so much, on all three counts.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Well then retake.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:44 pm

You are probably looking at some major $$ from BU/BC with those numbers this cycle. Particularly BC.

mickey_mouse

Bronze

Post by mickey_mouse » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:07 pm

If you look at the BU thread for this cycle, people with similar numbers have gotten decent scholly $$ already and it's barely even Jan. FWIW, I ED'd with very similar numbers to Duke last year and got WL'd, so to echo what others said, UPenn is probably a waste of time/ money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”