Application Race Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Application Race Question

Postby uf58161 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Hello All,

I am a bit confused about the ethnicity/race section of the application process. I am Hispanic (Cuban) and I have checked that for ethnicity on all of my apps, but I do not know what to put for race. I do not consider myself "white" but it is the only option for me considering that I am not any of the other choices. I am completely done with the application process except I do not know what to put! If I leave it blank, do I need to check "decline to respond" or can I just leave the race question blank and just put an ethnicity. I am not a URM, I understand that. I just wanted to know if I should put "WHITE"

I just do not want it to hurt me by leaving it blank. Thanks in advance for the help. You guys have been awesome in this whole process!

Re: Application Race Question

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:36 pm

I've read that if you check "decline to respond" they'll just assume you're white or asian (if anyone actually looks at it), so you can check "white" or "decline" and it will have the exact same effect on your application, that is, none at all.

Postby LoganCouture » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:00 am

There are white Cubans (and black Cubans and indigenous Cubans and mixed Cubans) so if you're white mark that.

I'm a mestiza Mexican American so I would check "white," for example.

It won't hurt you to mark it.

Postby AlexandraHope » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:53 am

If you are white put that.

This is why I have a problem with the whole Hispanic category...But that's a topic for another day.

Postby peger » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:49 pm

Well, what do most people think you are upon meeting you? My impression is that most Cuban-Americans fall into the white box.

As mentioned above though, if you decline to respond you will be assumed to be white, so it doesn't make much of a difference either way.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”