Applying to the T14. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DSD2013

New

Applying to the T14.

Post by DSD2013 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:52 pm

Hey everyone,

I am currently preparing for the October 2014 LSAT. I am finishing my third year in college with a 3.7 GPA and it looks like it is still rising. If I do well on my LSAT would it be considered somewhat late (would I be at a disadvantage) to apply for the 2015-2016 cycle? I should get my score back in three weeks after the test and have already been notifying my professors to write me letters of recommendation. Also, am I able to apply to law school even though my major is still in progress and won;t be completed until Spring of next year?

Thanks.

Biglawsurvivor25

New

Re: Applying to the T14.

Post by Biglawsurvivor25 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:53 pm

SPAM

chizzy

Silver

Post by chizzy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:55 pm

DSD2013 wrote:Hey everyone,

I am currently preparing for the October 2014 LSAT. I am finishing my third year in college with a 3.7 GPA and it looks like it is still rising. If I do well on my LSAT would it be considered somewhat late (would I be at a disadvantage) to apply for the 2015-2016 cycle? I should get my score back in three weeks after the test and have already been notifying my professors to write me letters of recommendation. Also, am I able to apply to law school even though my major is still in progress and won;t be completed until Spring of next year?

Thanks.

yes, you can still apply even though your major is in progress.
Just make sure to take your time and study for the LSAT. Aim for a 170+
And no you wont be disadvantaged

coffeeandtoast

New

Post by coffeeandtoast » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:58 pm

chizzy wrote:
DSD2013 wrote:Hey everyone,

Thanks.

yes, you can still apply even though your major is in progress.
Just make sure to take your time and study for the LSAT. Aim for a 170+
And no you wont be disadvantaged
The only disadvantage you have is having to juggle all your apps, school work, and the LSAT on top of all that, but your can do it!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:59 pm

What a useless response to the OP. Has to be a troll.

Real response: If you take the October 2014 LSAT (which is actually in September this year) you will not be at a disadvantage to apply for the 2014-2015 cycle. It is still on the early end if you apply as soon you get your score in October. You are able to apply to law school without completing your major and schools will just ask you for updated transcripts after each semester.

ETA: troll comment obviously references the Carolina prep guy who "survived" big law to start a crappy prep company.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:08 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:23 pm

You will be fine using the September LSAT for the upcoming cycle. However, I HIGHLY recommend you have everything more or less ready to go when scores come out. The main thing to worry about is having your Letters of Rec submitted to LSAC. Everything else on the application is really in your hands in regards to getting it in on time. Letters of Rec can take an unexpectedly long time to get done by professors. You seem to already be on top of this but just keep on it because professors are busy and even the ones that really like you can take a while to write the letter.

I basically waited until I got my October score back before getting on other parts of the application because I figured if my score wasn't where I wanted it I wouldn't apply. In the end that came back to bite me because I had everything ready to go by mid-November except one letter of rec. That letter of rec took until mid December due to a car accident in the professor's family. If you can have those letters of rec submitted and ready to go on LSAC by the time scores come out then you will be in a great position.

Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to have your school send in your transcripts to LSAC once you get your grades for this semester back. My school was good about this and it only took 5-6 days from when I ordered them to when LSAC processed them but your school may take longer.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:25 pm

drevo wrote:You will be fine using the September LSAT for the upcoming cycle. However, I HIGHLY recommend you have everything more or less ready to go when scores come out. The main thing to worry about is having your Letters of Rec submitted to LSAC. Everything else on the application is really in your hands in regards to getting it in on time. Letters of Rec can take an unexpectedly long time to get done by professors. You seem to already be on top of this but just keep on it because professors are busy and even the ones that really like you can take a while to write the letter.

I basically waited until I got my October score back before getting on other parts of the application because I figured if my score wasn't where I wanted it I wouldn't apply. In the end that came back to bite me because I had everything ready to go by mid-November except one letter of rec. That letter of rec took until mid December due to a car accident in the professor's family. If you can have those letters of rec submitted and ready to go on LSAC by the time scores come out then you will be in a great position.

Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to have your school send in your transcripts to LSAC once you get your grades for this semester back. My school was good about this and it only took 5-6 days from when I ordered them to when LSAC processed them but your school may take longer.
great advice, also transcripts can take awhile

chizzy

Silver

Post by chizzy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:34 pm

i highly advice you send in your transcript to lsac over the summer once you get your grades. Its so much faster than sending it in the fall and would make your life easier.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”