Married Students in the summer Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
wbaseball4ever

New

Married Students in the summer

Post by wbaseball4ever » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:49 am

How does this work at a top school (say Duke, for instance)?

*Do you leave your spouse and go intern in a big market (NY, DC, CA) or your home market?
*Do you both move to a big market and just pay two rents?
*Do you both sell your contract and move to a new market and then move back after the summer? I mean honestly, you furnish an apartment and get all settled and make it your home. It just doesn't make too much sense to sell it all, move away for a few months, and then have to do it all again the next year.
*Do you stay semi-local and just make it work? (i.e. local judge, local small firm, etc.)

Any married students out there or any insight? Thanks!

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Re: Married Students in the summer

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:56 am

wbaseball4ever wrote:How does this work at a top school (say Duke, for instance)?

*Do you leave your spouse and go intern in a big market (NY, DC, CA) or your home market?
*Do you both sell your contract and move to a new market and then move back after the summer? I mean honestly, you furnish an apartment and get all settled and make it your home. It just doesn't make too much sense to sell it all, move away for a few months, and then have to do it all again the next year.
*Do you stay semi-local and just make it work? (i.e. local judge, local small firm, etc.)

Do what you have to do. Grow the fuck up.

moralsentiments

Bronze

Post by moralsentiments » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:56 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
wbaseball4ever wrote:How does this work at a top school (say Duke, for instance)?

That's rude. It's a legitimate question.
Last edited by moralsentiments on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:58 am

moralsentiments wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:

That's whiny. It's a legitimate answer from the target audience.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:58 am

Harsh, but the sentiment is correct. You need to have a dialogue with your spouse and find out what works for both of you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moralsentiments

Bronze

Post by moralsentiments » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:01 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
moralsentiments wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:

Be an adult. If you think it's a dumb question…don't answer it. Don't be an asshole.
Last edited by moralsentiments on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:01 am

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:14 am

moralsentiments wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
moralsentiments wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:
Be an adult. If you think it's a dumb question…don't answer it. Don't be an asshole.
Be an adult. If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question. The world needs more "asshole." My objective is not to hurt anyone's feelings. My objective is to help.

moralsentiments

Bronze

Post by moralsentiments » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:25 am

Be an adult. If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question. The world needs more "asshole." My objective is not to hurt anyone's feelings. My objective is to help.

"Helping" is what the other people in this thread did…you went out of your way to be rude. Don't pretend you're doing the right thing by being a douchebag…It's not about hurt feelings…I doubt the poster could care less what you think of him. It's about civility so you don't come off looking like an asshole. But if douchebaggery is your prerogative, then mission accomplished.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:21 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:05 pm

Yeah, just talk to your spouse to figure out what you want. There are plenty of options.

Get an internship where you want to work / where you get a job. Either spend the summer long distance or bring your spouse with you, depending on his or her mobility.
If your spouse comes with you for the summer, sublet your apartment to a summer student or something and then find a furnished sublet in the other market. If you're going to NY, there will be plenty of furnished places for rent on craigslist. If you're going someplace with fewer rentals, airbnb might be the way to go (usually more pricey, but on the upside, you only have to pay for 10 weeks instead of 3 months if you like).
If you're doing something unpaid for your 1L summer, it seems like it would make sense to stay local.

capt_slow

Bronze

Post by capt_slow » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:11 pm

FattyMcFatFat wrote:

Troll.

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:Do what you have to do. Grow the fuck up.
The irony is strong in this one

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Poopface

New

Post by Poopface » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:

Aight tough guy. It's douchefucks like you on here that piss me off so much. There is absolutely no need for this response. The guy is just looking for some insight on how others might have handled a similar situation, and here you come with your fucking internet muscles sitting behind your computer telling this guy to grow up as if you've never asked anyone for advice before

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:11 am

Poopface wrote:Aight tough guy. It's douchefucks like you on here that piss me off so much. There is absolutely no need for this response. The guy is just looking for some insight on how others might have handled a similar situation, and here you come with your fucking internet muscles sitting behind your computer telling this guy to grow up as if you've never asked anyone for advice before
(calls out internet bullies)

(is named after a playground insult)

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:11 am

there's no way "Poopface" and "FattyMcFatFat" aren't the same person right?

Poopface

New

Post by Poopface » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:12 am

That's whiny. It's a legitimate answer from the target audience.[/quote]

Be an adult. If you think it's a dumb question…don't answer it. Don't be an asshole.[/quote]

Be an adult. If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question. The world needs more "asshole." My objective is not to hurt anyone's feelings. My objective is to help.[/quote]

Yea you've been really helpful you fuckin prick

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:45 am

Poopface wrote:That's whiny. It's a legitimate answer from the target audience.
Be an adult. If you think it's a dumb question…don't answer it. Don't be an asshole.[/quote]

Be an adult. If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question. The world needs more "asshole." My objective is not to hurt anyone's feelings. My objective is to help.[/quote]

Yea you've been really helpful you fuckin prick[/quote]

You're right. I don't give a shit about helping this individual.

Puffin

Bronze

Post by Puffin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:51 am

FattyMcFatFat wrote:

You're right. I don't give a shit about helping this individual.[/quote]

And who says honesty isn't the most virtuous of traits :lol:

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:53 am

Puffin wrote:
FattyMcFatFat wrote:

You're right. I don't give a shit about helping this individual.[/quote]

And who says honesty isn't the most virtuous of traits :lol:[/quote]

See you in heaven.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”