Which of these things should I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which of these things should I do?

Postby SnakySalmon » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:43 pm

I have the opportunity to give a paper at an academic conference. I've attended the same conference before, and gave another paper that time.

It conflicts with a training that looks really good in my field.

I'm planning on taking the fall off to work before applying, and I think the training will help me get a more prestigious job, which seems like it'll help me more on my app than going to a conference I've already been to will. I don't have an actual preference between the two events, so I'm trying to make the decision purely in terms of admissions. I know softs don't matter much, but I think I have a real shot at HYS, and I know YS both care a little bit.

What do you guys think?

Re: Which of these things should I do?

Postby TigerDude » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:22 am

I think you're overthinking it

Postby xmking07 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:31 am

How long do you plan on working in your field before applying to law school? If less thank 2-3 years I don't necessarily see the point of going through training that could lead to a prestigious job if you either won't be around long enough to achieve it or not have it long enough to learn much from it. Granted it will look better than presenting another paper, but by how much will be a function of how long you pursue it and what you get out of it.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:45 pm

Without more context (are you in UG? what are your numbers? do you already have a job in this field? how prestigious are we talking?) we can't give you meaningful advice. But HYS are schools, so in general they're going to care more about academic things than job things. So I'd go with the paper based on what information you've given.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”