Application advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crye108

Application advice

Postby crye108 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:01 pm

Hey everyone I need some advice, I messed up the December LSAT, I scored a 159. I was scoring well above this the weeks before the test 163-167. I feel like I let my nerves get the best of me on test day. My goal is around BC/Fordham and I am also applying to Pepperdine. I have a 3.74 GPA and solid extras like senior class president, student paper, and a bunch of internships (still in undergrad). Now I am planning on taking the February test, and I know I can do a lot better because I know exactly what to expect (the December test was my first LSAT). Do I send in my applications now with the 159 and state that I am planning on taking the February test? Or wait? Will these schools maybe waitlist me to see what I get on February? Not sure on what happens, thanks!

rinkrat19

Re: Application advice

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:31 pm

You study for the next 6 months, take the June LSAT, get a 170+, and apply next cycle. Even wasting that GPA on a mid-160s score and BC is a terrible idea. Why would you settle for anything less than T14?

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:53 pm

Generally, if schools see that you're registered for another LSAT, they'll wait to receive that score before they make a decision on your app. If the rest of your application materials are perfect and ready to go, there's no harm in submitting the application now, although you may want to add a note that they shouldn't consider your application complete until they receive that February score.

astinkytoilet

Postby astinkytoilet » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Would applying this cycle while being registered for the June test be considered a hindrance to your app?

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:17 pm

[quote="rinkrat19"]You study for the next 6 months, take the June LSAT, get a 170+, and apply next cycle. [quote]

This is good advice in my opinion. Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but if your scoring mid 160's on your practice tests, I think a 159 is about what to expect on the actual test. There are exceptions, but it seems like most people score a few points lower on test day that they do on most PT's.

Knowing that, you should retake in June and try to get your PT's up into the 169-172 range consistently so you can hopefully score at least in the mid to high 160's on test day. This will get you into the schools you mentioned with a nice scholarship to boot. T14 is great but if you really like BC or Fordham, then by all means go there, just do so with large scholarship, they aren't worth sticker.

I know sitting out the cycle isn't what you want to hear, but you don't have enough time to prepare for the February test and rinkrat19 is right, even with a 4-6 point improvement, BC and Fordham aren't worth attending. Sit the cycle, study for the June LSAT like crazy, and if need be take it again in October, and apply next cycle.

Good luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”