Convince me not to go to a T4

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ellewoodz
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:26 pm

Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby ellewoodz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi all, I'm currently a college senior applying to law schools for this cycle. I have a 2.9 and 153 LSAT from October and retook in December (hopefully I get a 155-160 tomorrow). It is my goal to go to either Ole Miss, Charleston, Charlotte or a similarly ranked law school. My father will be paying for my tuition and expenses and in addition will be my employer upon graduation if I choose this route.

However, at this point I am somewhat uncertain that I want to be a lawyer but feel as if I have no other options seeing as this has been my plan for as long as I can remember. I am well aware of the advice others have received on these forums but I feel because I will be without loans and have guaranteed employment I am in a somewhat different situation.

Can anyone help me out with their thoughts? Thanks a lot

P.S. Legally blond is based on a true story right? :P

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby dowu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Since you already know what you should do, there is no point in us convincing you to do anything.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:39 pm

Your plan isn't bad

but if you want to do literally anything else than work for your dad it will be very difficult

That's about it really.

User avatar
Louis1127
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby Louis1127 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:42 pm

If your employment is absolutely guaranteed in the way that you say it is, then go where you get the most money with the least stips.

Important note: with your GPA, this may involve retaking the LSAT (no offense, obviously).

User avatar
unodostres
Posts: 551
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby unodostres » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:46 pm

why do you even post such a question when you basically answered it yourself?

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby 03152016 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:57 pm

Don't go to law school if you're uncertain about becoming a lawyer. Going because you have "no other options" is an especially terrible reason. There are plenty of disgruntled lawyers who went to law school without a clear conception of what legal work entails, and end up hating their careers.

If I were you, I'd sit out this cycle. I'd go work for a firm; maybe your father can help you land a paralegal position. Talk to a few lawyers about their job, what they like and dislike, how they ended up in their practice area. Retake the LSAT so you can go to a decent school, and maybe get a nice scholarship (why burden your father with tuition costs if you don't have to?).

Then, if you've determined law is really the right career path for you, apply in the 2014-2015 cycle.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:37 pm

Live your own life. YOLO.

User avatar
Dingo Starr
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:50 am

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby Dingo Starr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:51 pm

ellewoodz wrote:However, at this point I am somewhat uncertain that I want to be a lawyer but feel as if I have no other options seeing as this has been my plan for as long as I can remember.


How uncertain is "somewhat uncertain"? Have you had a few fleeting ideas of alternative employment? Are you breaking away from the track set in front of you, though you may return to it?

Far be it from me to dissuade you from your lifelong plan. However, is it really your plan? Do you want to have your father shoulder that much debt for you if you will not be ultimately working as an attorney?

Law school will be there for you, including your father paying the bills, at a later date. Try something else first, if you are not sure. There are worse things than inheriting a family firm. Make sure it is the right fit for you, as best you can.

User avatar
Dingo Starr
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:50 am

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby Dingo Starr » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Also, how in the heck did you make rad lulz and BigZuck act like total sweet-hearts?
With those kinds of persuasion skills, maybe you should be an attorney.

notalobbyist
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby notalobbyist » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 am

You will probably still inherit the money that would have been spent on law school, and that money will compound at a rate of whatever, or the loan payments your dad makes will leave that much less in assets.

If you dont know what to do at all with your life, maybe ask him to give you the money so you can buy a bunch of vending machines, houses to rent out, or something else thats relatively hard to completely mess up.

If you take the job from your dad, you're kind of more stuck than most. If you don't like it you either stick it out just like somebody with debt payments or else risk feelings of resentment that he dropped $200kish to get you into the family business that you hate.

This is not magic money that can only be used for law school, and family businesses can cause weird tensions if the next generation isn't into it. Figure out what you want before making a decision. If law school is for you its not a terrible plan but you should still try to minimize your costs.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:19 am

Dingo Starr wrote:Also, how in the heck did you make rad lulz and BigZuck act like total sweet-hearts?
With those kinds of persuasion skills, maybe you should be an attorney.


?

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:00 am

came in here thinking somebody wanted to be convinced to not go to HYSC
would have been much more interesting

----

don't go to law school if you don't want to go to law school or be a lawyer

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:38 am

Max324 wrote:Don't go to law school if you're uncertain about becoming a lawyer. Going because you have "no other options" is an especially terrible reason. There are plenty of disgruntled lawyers who went to law school without a clear conception of what legal work entails, and end up hating their careers.

If I were you, I'd sit out this cycle. I'd go work for a firm; maybe your father can help you land a paralegal position. Talk to a few lawyers about their job, what they like and dislike, how they ended up in their practice area. Retake the LSAT so you can go to a decent school, and maybe get a nice scholarship (why burden your father with tuition costs if you don't have to?).

Then, if you've determined law is really the right career path for you, apply in the 2014-2015 cycle.


I think this is great advice. Even if you have no debt, it's still three years of your life and a lot of dad's money. He's going to (rightfully) be pissed if, after he spent 200k on your legal education, you decide you hate being a lawyer and want to do something else.

Work as a paralegal for a year. Talk to lawyers other than your dad. See if the work actually interests you. If it doesn't, better to find that out BEFORE your dad writes a huge check.

User avatar
Young Marino
Posts: 826
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby Young Marino » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:19 am

Dingo Starr wrote:Also, how in the heck did you make rad lulz and BigZuck act like total sweet-hearts?
With those kinds of persuasion skills, maybe you should be an attorney.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Young Marino wrote:
Dingo Starr wrote:Also, how in the heck did you make rad lulz and BigZuck act like total sweet-hearts?
With those kinds of persuasion skills, maybe you should be an attorney.


?

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Convince me not to go to a T4

Postby chem! » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Nothing here but a troll. Move along.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, studyingeveryday, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests