Non-TLS Resources/Guides for LORs, Resumes, Addenda, etc. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
theycallmefoes

Bronze

Non-TLS Resources/Guides for LORs, Resumes, Addenda, etc.

Post by theycallmefoes » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:31 pm

The pre-law office at my undergrad institution is pretty sub-par in terms of resources, primarily because the school is a highly mediocre, highly over-priced university shilling for their own mediocre over-priced law school. The advisors are students currently attending the law school, and whatever advice they provide is based on their own experiences of applying to said school and/or the admission requirements/process for that particular school. Those that I have spoken to know nothing about applying to T1, or even most T2, schools and cannot give me any dependable advice on how to develop a cohesive, competitive application for my top choices. [An example: I've seen quite a few TLSers make the argument that only academic LORs are relevant (especially for those who haven't spent significant time in the work force); the advisor at my school said that, as a general rule, you never want to send only academic LORs and that it is always better if you can send at least one from an internship or an employer.]

I know TLS has a lot of information about this, and while I have a tendency to take TLS as Gospel on most matters, I also prefer to get my information from a variety of reputable sources (à la Powerscore+Manhattan=winning). With that in mind, what other sites/blogs/companies do you think provide great resources (samples, templates, guides, etc.)? What do you think of the material from blogs like The Girl's Guide to Law School or companies like jdMission?

Thanks!

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Re: Non-TLS Resources/Guides for LORs, Resumes, Addenda, etc.

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Check out the books by Anna Ivey and Richard Montauk.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Dr.Zer0 wrote:Check out the books by Anna Ivey and Richard Montauk.
These are the 2 resources I used outside of TLS.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:33 pm

I can't stand the Girls' Guide to Law School, but I don't know that it has bad advice, I just find it annoying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”