Permanent Residency

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Permanent Residency

Postby GDC91 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:02 am

Does your permanent residency affect your chances at certain schools?

I'm currently working/living in Madison, WI (for over half a year now) but I'm still listed as a Massachusetts resident (and have a MA driver's license). My question is if it would it be beneficial for me to get residency in Wisconsin? If I'm planning on sending out apps this weekend, would it be worth it to wait until after changing my residency?

Re: Permanent Residency

Postby McGruff » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 am

According to Wisconsin's LST profile, the difference between in-state and out-of-state is 72k. According to their residency/tuition page, it's whether or not you're a resident when you enroll that matters(which would lead me to believe that you don't need to sort it out before this weekend, but you also should look into it sooner rather than later).

They say here that 55% of the entering class in 2012 was in-state, but (although I was unable to verify this, it's my hunch that) they probably aren't setting aside a certain %age for residents (like UVA does), since that number changed in the past (57%, 62%, 60% in 2011, 2010, 2009 respectively). In any case, if that's where you really wanna go, (and you can't get into a T14) the big bump for out-of-state makes it obviously worth it to become a resident before enrolling.

also, LOL @ their website referring to "students of color".

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”