What is Diversity Statement?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ask Me Not

What is Diversity Statement?

Postby Ask Me Not » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Hello, everybody, got a question: what exactly is a diversity statement?

It asks for your racial, social, and economical differences, obsticles overcame, or discrimination experienced. I might have taken this wrong, but is it asking us to whine? Or, in order to present my diversified background, can I just send in an autobiography?

Please help.

Thank you!

Re: What is Diversity Statement?

Postby 20141023 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:01 pm

^ what he said

Ask Me Not

Postby Ask Me Not » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:04 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
Ask Me Not wrote:Hello, everybody, got a question: what exactly is a diversity statement?

It asks for your racial, social, and economical differences, obsticles overcame, or discrimination experienced. I might have taken this wrong, but is it asking us to whine? Or, in order to present my diversified background, can I just send in an autobiography?

Please help.

Thank you!

lol... no, do not whine in your diversity statement. I am a white male, but I wrote one because I've spent a lot of time abroad and speak a foreign language (and am married to a native of that country); accordingly, I wrote my diversity statement about how this has made me a more "well-rounded" individual despite the fact that a glace at my ethnicity, location, and age on my application might not suggest that.

Even if you went through economic hardship, don't ever write about that in a negative manner. Instead, talk about how you've overcome those obstacles and become a better person from it. Nobody wants to hear someone blaming their inability to perform well in school or on the LSAT on their circumstances.

Thank you! I don't like whining, so I really appreciate your clarification. I know exactly what to write about now.

Which country did you go?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”