Applying to Law School and taking the LSAT a second time

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
C-line

Applying to Law School and taking the LSAT a second time

Postby C-line » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:29 am

I took the LSAT in June and didn't get the score I wanted of 154. I do feel I can increase my score. I have a 3.86 GPA with a double major and just plan to move forward to apply to the schools of choice in the Fall. Due to an athletic scholarship commitment and limited time to prepare, it will be hard to take the LSAT again in October so December is my goal.
Questions:
Will my second score automatically be sent to the schools I have applied to earlier in the Fall?
Will my December score be too late to be reviewed with my applications?

The schools I'm looking at seem to take the highest of the scores, from what I'm reading On line.

A Parliment of Owls

Re: Applying to Law School and taking the LSAT a second time

Postby A Parliment of Owls » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:15 pm

1.) Schools you've applied to that cycle will automatically receive your updated score

2.) You have two options here. If you're feeling confident you can apply and send the schools a note asking them to hold your application pending your new score. Or, you can roll the dice and then if the retake is better it will significantly help you get off wait lists/get scholarship $$

On a side note, almost all schools look only at the highest score and all of TLS will agree that you should study like hell and retake.

The most valuable thing TLS taught me was that the LSAT is 100% learn-able if you take the time and go about it the right way. If you have that large of an athletic commitment you should strongly consider taking a year off to study and work part time before applying.

Finally, unless you're URM or have a very specific niche plan most people here (including myself) will recommend staying away from almost any school you can get into with a 154.

Source: I saved six figures by taking a year off, re-studying with TLS methods and retaking.

Best of Luck

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”