Critique my resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
itachiuchiha

Silver

Critique my resume

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:24 pm

So here is my resume. My soft factors are verry less than mediocre
please let me know how I can improve the formatting and content of this resume.

I would be eternally appreciative of your help

t-14orbust

Gold

Re: Critique my resume

Post by t-14orbust » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:27 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:So here is my resume. My soft factors are verry less than mediocre
please let me know how I can improve the formatting and content of this resume.

I would be eternally appreciative of your help
If you really got a 158 you should stop worrying about this and start studying for an October retake.

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:29 pm

yeah, I've been studying. But In my free time I am taking care of this stuff.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:30 pm

While fasting? Nice. Don't let fasting get in the way of studying for one of the most important tests of your life though (if you are fasting that is).

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:32 pm

t-14orbust wrote:While fasting? Nice. Don't let fasting get in the way of studying for one of the most important tests of your life though (if you are fasting that is).
yeppp! I always fast all 30 days. So far I'm 9 days in. I really find that studying helps the time fly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:35 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:While fasting? Nice. Don't let fasting get in the way of studying for one of the most important tests of your life though (if you are fasting that is).
yeppp! I always fast all 30 days. So far I'm 9 days in. I really find that studying helps the time fly.
Wow, that is pretty admirable. I don't think I would have been able to study while depriving myself of food and water. I trust your suhur is stacked with nutrients. Nonetheless, I'm not too keen on what makes a good law school resume, but as far as I can tell yours looks fine. Did you read through the TLS resume guide?

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Trust me, my mom makes a killer suhoor and an even better iftari lol! I read a book called the Law School Admissions Guide by Manhattan Prep and I based this resume off of that. I was just looking for someone to critique it.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:40 pm

Here's this:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-school-resume.html

It will probably have some of the same advice you got from that book, but may have a few extra pieces of info. Other than that you'll just have to wait for someone with more knowledge to help you out.

politics89

Bronze

Post by politics89 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:43 pm

I have no idea if it matters, but shouldn't it be past tense in jobs you no longer work in? Like managed, not manage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Make sure your bullet points are all the same forms of verbs. You have present and past tense (Manage, Built, Maintain, Achieved) I would switch to all past tense--even on the current job.

Put your leadership and achievement stuff under the education section.

Include a personal interests section (really just one sentence) at the very bottom.

Put the legal job under professional experience. They can see it's legal; no need to separate it from the other jobs.

Put a little bit of space between those horizontal lines and the next line of text.
Make sure your text on the right hand side is all lined up. The years under Achievements are uneven.

Switch the order of "drive sales" and "connect customers with the right product" under the Nike job, because it sounds like you're connecting customers with drive sales.

Also, was the store called Nike, Inc? It was probably a Niketown, right? You could clarify a bit and list the employer as Niketown retail store; Nike, Inc. Otherwise it's a bit unclear how you worked for Nike in Sunrise when the corporate HQ is in Oregon. But that may just be because out here people actually work at HQ, so I don't automatically think of Niketown as an employer.

I assume you've just cut off the header with your name and contact info, right?

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Make sure your bullet points are all the same forms of verbs. You have present and past tense (Manage, Built, Maintain, Achieved) I would switch to all past tense--even on the current job.

Include a personal interests section (really just one sentence) at the very bottom.

Put the legal job under professional experience. They can see it's legal; no need to separate it from the other jobs.

Put a little bit of space between those horizontal lines and the next line of text.
Make sure your text on the right hand side is all lined up. The years under Achievements are uneven.

Switch the order of "drive sales" and "connect customers with the right product" under the Nike job, because it sounds like you're connecting customers with drive sales.

Also, was the store called Nike, Inc? It was probably a Niketown, right? You could clarify a bit and list the employer as Niketown retail store; Nike, Inc. Otherwise it's a bit unclear how you worked for Nike in Sunrise when the corporate HQ is in Oregon. But that may just be because out here people actually work at HQ, so I don't automatically think of Niketown as an employer.

yes I cut off contact stuff. These tips are extremely useful! Thank you so much rinkrat19!!!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:56 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Make sure your bullet points are all the same forms of verbs. You have present and past tense (Manage, Built, Maintain, Achieved) I would switch to all past tense--even on the current job.

yes I cut off contact stuff. These tips are extremely useful! Thank you so much rinkrat19!!!
You might also list the Niketown by its specific location. Looking on the Nike site, I see that the Sunrise location is actually referred to as "Nike Factory Store - Sawgrass Mills"

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:12 pm

No offense, but how did you get a 3.97 and then a 158? Did you not study at all?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:33 pm

Regulus wrote:1) If you are going to include a description of the companies at which you worked (which you don't need to), don't put that information under the same bullet points that are being used to designate your responsibilities at those companies. For example, instead of:
Law Clerk & Legal Intern----------------October 2012 - Present
??????----------------------------------------Plantation, FL
・????? is a real estate law firm in South Florida representing over 100 homeowner associations
・Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, and constitutions
・Shadow associate attorneys while assisting in drafting legal documents of case law for pleadings being filed to the court
・Assist attorneys, administrative assistants, and legal assistants with cases and pleadings
Do something like:
Law Clerk & Legal Intern----------------October 2012 - Present
??????----------------------------------------Plantation, FL
????? is a real estate law firm in South Florida representing over 100 homeowner associations
・Research and analyze law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, and constitutions
・Shadow associate attorneys while assisting in drafting legal documents of case law for pleadings being filed to the court
・Assist attorneys, administrative assistants, and legal assistants with cases and pleadings
2) I would reverse the order that you have the name of the companies you worked at with your title at those companies.
3) I guess if you don't have any other achievements you can list dean's list and all that jazz, but I personally left it off of mine; that is kind of self-explanatory if you have a GPA anywhere close to 4.0. I'd instead put "summa cum laude" or whatever next to your GPA (or even leave your GPA off it you wanted to if you have summa cum laude in most normal circumstances, but for law applications I'd leave the number on there just as a reminder you have a 3.97).
4) As rinkrat said, you shouldn't differentiate "legal" and "professional" experience; put it all under "professional" experience.
5) Only include the personal interests section that rinkrat mentioned if it fits; I personally don't have one on my resume because I've filled up the entire 1 page with "more important" stuff.
6) This might sound like a douchey comment, but I am not sure I would mention the amount you assisted in gathering to donate; after all, you only assisted in organizing banquets where a mere $1,000 was collected. If it were me, I personally would see that and think "only $1,000?"
You WILL have an interests section for legal hiring, so you might as well fit it now. Believe me, it fits. I have a 10 year career plus volunteer work and my law school and 1L job info on there.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Pick either "law clerk" or "legal intern"

Writing both looks silly because there's no substantive difference between the two

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm surprised nobody noticed this -- you misspelled achievements (the title) in the last section.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jn7

Bronze

Post by jn7 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:42 pm

I don't say this with any nitpicky sarcasm, but make sure your dashes on the dates are consistent. I caught that on mine during undergrad. Sometimes MS Word can be goofy with the dashes.

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm loving all of the feedback! Everything is very constructive and will help me perfect this resume. Keep em comin!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Under "Professional Experience", I would hyphenate "day-to-day" and "5-star".

Under "Academic Integrity Commission", I would use "assist" rather than "assisted", since the job continues into the present, and also because you used "commit" rather than "committed". Either that, or put everything in the past tense as suggested earlier.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:02 am

I have a question and didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully someone here has the answer.

Is it acceptable to remove your address from your resume? I read somewhere that it is, and it would save me a lot of space on mine, but I'm not sure what TCR is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:25 am

lastsamurai wrote:I have a question and didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully someone here has the answer.

Is it acceptable to remove your address from your resume? I read somewhere that it is, and it would save me a lot of space on mine, but I'm not sure what TCR is.
No.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:30 am

Lincoln wrote:
lastsamurai wrote:I have a question and didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully someone here has the answer.

No.
+1

There are ways to present your contact information that put your entire address on one line, or at most two. Getting rid of it shouldn't be saving you that much space, unless you're writing your address like it's going onto an envelope.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

No.
+1

There are ways to present your contact information that put your entire address on one line, or at most two. Getting rid of it shouldn't be saving you that much space, unless you're writing your address like it's going onto an envelope.
Thanks for the advice - I appreciate it. Another question:

Should I keep my "Computer Skills" section? This has been required for all of my professional jobs (very finance heavy), but I don't know how relevant it is for adcomms.

lastsamurai

Silver

Post by lastsamurai » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:08 am

For the OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. My pet peeve is having only 1 bullet point under something, so I might play around with the Leadership Experience section. Also, I'd list your Dean's Scholarship and Dean's List Recognition as 2011-Present, and under Education, I'd make it "Expected Graduation: May 2014" or "Anticipated Graduation Date: May 2014"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”