(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:23 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jas1503

Re: Cooley Law: Myth-Busting

Postby jas1503 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:27 am

MYTH 10: MOAR LAWYERS!! Cheaper prices!

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:27 am

Cooley wrote:6. MYTH: The current admissions practices among law schools have led to a glut of lawyers.
False, while it is reasonable to debate whether there are too many or too few lawyers, Michigan's experience that the number of new lawyers entering practice has actually declined is likely typical. In fact, admissions to practice in Michigan have decreased in each of the past three decades--from 1973 to 1982 the average annual admission to practice was 1,178, from 1983 to 1992 it was 1,137, from1993 to 2002 it was 1,095, and from 2003 to 2012 it was 1,061 (including an estimated 980 admissions in 2012), a reduction of 10% over forty years.

"Hi, I'm Don LeDuc. You may have heard that there are more lawyers than there are jobs for lawyers. I'd like to disprove that myth by pointing out that a lot fewer people have been able to get jobs as lawyers in recent years."

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:29 am

MYTH: Cooley law is a safe, reliable choice for aspiring lawyers. We will get you a job.

FACT: Yeah not so much. We do have a big library though, that's gotta count for something right?

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:35 am

I stumbled onto the Cooley site and read these and I almost killed myself. I am working so hard to convince my friends and family that I am not a loser because I spend all day studying for the LSAT instead of working and I see that this toilet is trying to make me look like an idiot. I sincerely hope it closes down.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:36 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
Cooley wrote:Myth-Busting
Commentary

Don LeDuc, President and Dean | June 3, 2013

The internet abounds with misstatements about law schools and lawyer employment. The leadership of lawyer, law school, and employment organizations tied to the law has failed to provide any clarification or information countering these misstatements, allowing the all-too-frequent repetition of them to create the impression that they are true. Here, then, is a brief summary of the facts that readily refute these mythical assertions.

5. MYTH: Law school graduates are experiencing alarming default rates because of the student loan debt.
False, default rates among law school graduates are quite low. During the height of the recession, the three-year student loan default rate among Cooley graduates was 5.2% and the two-year default rate was 3.3%, well below the national three-year and two-year default rates of 13.4% and 9.1%, respectively, and far below the Department of Education's minimum 25% default rate standard. The average debt of a 2011-12 law graduate student with loans was $122,395.

Does this say that only 5% of 1000 students defaulted each year?

Surely they're not bragging about that...

I have to be reading this wrong.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 am

phillylaw215

Postby phillylaw215 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:59 am

superbloom wrote:http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/nfl_analogy.html

My favorite Cooley article.

I don't... I don't even know what to say to this. Thank goodness there are only 88 lawyers in the United States vying for jobs.

Jimbo_Jones

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Cooley wrote: The law schools can teach students how to be efficient and innovative in packaging and pricing their services for the huge majority of citizens who cannot afford legal representation.

This may be the worst line of arguing I've ever heard. There is no efficiency/innovation that will solve the problem of a client not having money to pay for legal services. If the client has no money, then the person representing them will have no money. Please explain to me why someone would put themselves through four years of undergrad, the LSAT, three years of law school, the bar exam, and $200,000+ in loans to be......poor. You can be poor for free! Right now! No effort involved!

untar614

Postby untar614 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Where the hell are they getting their unemployment numbers from?

KD35

Postby KD35 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:42 pm

untar614 wrote:Where the hell are they getting their unemployment numbers from?

Dept. of Labor. The unemployment is skewed. Not based on any student who went to law school, but actual lawyers...if you never get a legal/lawyer position, you can't be considered an unemployed lawyer.

SuperCerealBrah

Postby SuperCerealBrah » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:43 pm

This is not funny. This is infuriating on every level imaginable.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Stop spreading internet myths, guys. You're exactly the types President LeDuc was talking about.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stinson

Postby Stinson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 pm

I encountered a Cooley grad only once in real life.

I was in a curio and knick knack store in Lexington, KY. A strange place, fashioned out of an old house and filled to the brim with what everyone imagines the contents of Grandma's attic to be. But for the cashier and ourselves - the three of us, looking for a gift for someone - the place was empty, and dark. Ceramic figurines peered from every corner, and doilies adorned every wooden surface. Like an indoor garage sale, they still used handwritten price tags.

My fiance's cousin - the one searching for the gift - seemed struck by the absurdity of the place. Could such a store function, let alone endure, stocked as it seemed to be with products one could not imagine wanting oneself or, as became increasingly obvious as we rummaged, even giving away? The presence of the cashier, that sad presence, obliged us to spend some time looking about, at least seeming interested before bolting out the door. As if she didn't know better, right? But still, politeness and all.

The cousin asked me something or other about law school; I was a rising 2L at the time. The cashier leapt at the unexpected chance for interaction with something other than a Hummel figurine. "I went to law school!" she volunteered. And as quickly as her face had lit, it dimmed. "You've probably never heard of it though." Dark as the store was, it grew still darker, as if we'd all witnessed a great snuffing out.

Stupidly polite, I asked, "Oh, where? I know a lot about law schools."

Still dour. "It's in Michigan. Cooley?"

What was I to say? I was silly enough to ask, after all. I beat a shameful retreat, the best I could do: "Oh, I've heard of Cooley. I don't know a lot about it but I've definitely heard the name." Out we went.

And that's the story of a employed Cooley grad.

superbloom

Postby superbloom » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Spooky story.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, doctoral programs usually provide a stipend for their students right? I don't understand part of myth 4's reasoning. I know medical school cost the same, but myth 4 seems to be a blatant lie.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Stinson wrote:I encountered a Cooley grad only once in real life.

I was in a curio and knick knack store in Lexington, KY. A strange place, fashioned out of an old house and filled to the brim with what everyone imagines the contents of Grandma's attic to be. But for the cashier and ourselves - the three of us, looking for a gift for someone - the place was empty, and dark. Ceramic figurines peered from every corner, and doilies adorned every wooden surface. Like an indoor garage sale, they still used handwritten price tags.

My fiance's cousin - the one searching for the gift - seemed struck by the absurdity of the place. Could such a store function, let alone endure, stocked as it seemed to be with products one could not imagine wanting oneself or, as became increasingly obvious as we rummaged, even giving away? The presence of the cashier, that sad presence, obliged us to spend some time looking about, at least seeming interested before bolting out the door. As if she didn't know better, right? But still, politeness and all.

The cousin asked me something or other about law school; I was a rising 2L at the time. The cashier leapt at the unexpected chance for interaction with something other than a Hummel figurine. "I went to law school!" she volunteered. And as quickly as her face had lit, it dimmed. "You've probably never heard of it though." Dark as the store was, it grew still darker, as if we'd all witnessed a great snuffing out.

Stupidly polite, I asked, "Oh, where? I know a lot about law schools."

Still dour. "It's in Michigan. Cooley?"

What was I to say? I was silly enough to ask, after all. I beat a shameful retreat, the best I could do: "Oh, I've heard of Cooley. I don't know a lot about it but I've definitely heard the name." Out we went.

And that's the story of a employed Cooley grad.

Hahahahahahahhahaha

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:23 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, doctoral programs usually provide a stipend for their students right? I don't understand part of myth 4's reasoning. I know medical school cost the same, but myth 4everything on Cooley's website seems to be a blatant lie.

FTFY

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:24 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, doctoral programs usually provide a stipend for their students right? I don't understand part of myth 4's reasoning. I know medical school cost the same, but myth 4everything on Cooley's website seems to be a blatant lie.

FTFY

:lol: Thank you for the correction!

Jimbo_Jones

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, doctoral programs usually provide a stipend for their students right? I don't understand part of myth 4's reasoning. I know medical school cost the same, but myth 4 seems to be a blatant lie.

Research doctorate (PhD) programs might but I don't think that's the case for professional doctorates (MD, PharmD, JD, etc.)

jselson

Postby jselson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, doctoral programs usually provide a stipend for their students right? I don't understand part of myth 4's reasoning. I know medical school cost the same, but myth 4 seems to be a blatant lie.

Correct. Over 5 years, if you're able to teach/be a research assistant, you will earn more than Cooley costs. And you will have better job prospects, even considering how poor the market is for PhDs.

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:19 pm

As others said, it depends on the field. And also on the program/school.

For example, a PhD student in English at a lower tier program is possibly not fully funded, if they are funded at all. However, an engineering PhD student at many programs, even the non-elites, often is fully funded. An MD student almost never is, no matter where they go. And etc. So it very much varies.

And the job market for doctorates varies depending on the field. In some fields, such as nursing, you'll probably get a job tenure track. The demand is very high, and there aren't enough qualified teachers. In others, such as many of the liberal arts, you'll be lucky to be able to adjunct.

bandenjamin

Postby bandenjamin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:38 pm

superbloom wrote:http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/nfl_analogy.html

My favorite Cooley article.

When was the last time Notre Dame (Joe Montana?) or USC (um.....maybe Carson Palmer) or Oregon (i'm a huge fan, trust me never) had a reputation for producing quality quarterbacks?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”