Applying to Law Schools: Transcripts

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lhn5007

Applying to Law Schools: Transcripts

Postby lhn5007 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 am

Delete
Last edited by lhn5007 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRgradBYU

Re: Applying to Law Schools: Transcripts

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:29 pm

lhn5007 wrote:Hey all, I'm thinking about applying to law school for 2014. Since many schools are rolling admission, I want to apply as early as possible. My problem is that although I have my undergraduate transcript where I have my degree in, I still owe money to a university where I took a couple of classes post-undergrad. I owe them about 7ks left, which is a hefty sum and I don't know if I will be able to pay it in order to apply by late fall. Is this transcript necessary for applications? Will my application be considered incomplete and not even looked at? I did disclose to LSAC that I took classes at another university so it does say two transcripts missing. Thank you. Any advice would be appreciated!

Yes, you're required to have transcripts sent to LSAC from all of the undergraduate institutions you attended. You're going to have to fork out the dough and pay the $7k (unless for some strange reason that university will send a transcript in spite of your debt).

RoaringMice

Postby RoaringMice » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:31 pm

Contact that school and see if you can get put on a payment plan. You'll need to pay off this debt before they will release your transcripts, and as others here have said, you'll need that transcript for your law school app process.

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:44 pm

You can list the school that you're missing a transcript from as a "financial obligation" ; LSAC will generate a report that will allow you to apply, but several schools will consider your application incomplete until the bill is cleared.

If you have multiple schools marked as FO, LSAC won't generate anything.

onesmallstep

Postby onesmallstep » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:10 pm

By the way, once I send my transcript to LSAC and they generate a CAS law school report, would I be able to view this report, as well? I'm curious as to what exactly an admissions officer will see in such a report.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:22 am

Maybe this is a dumb question. But is it the school you owe money? Or is it student loans (stafford or private)? Because if it's student loans your school will release your transcripts with no issue. I just want to make sure this incredibly obvious fact is stated just in case this is the situation. Otherwise most universities have some kind of repayment program you can get on that will let them work with you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”