Law School Stats Analysis Blog Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elterrible78

Silver

Law School Stats Analysis Blog

Post by elterrible78 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Hey everyone,

I pop up from time to time here with analysis that I've done based on LSN data, focused mostly on the effect numbers and other factors have on your chances of admission, as well as scholarship rewards. With all the same caveats that go along, I've started a blog to publish stuff that I find, and I'm hoping it will be helpful for people, especially once LSAT scores start coming back and the application cycle kicks off in September. I'll be updating it frequently throughout the summer with different stuff (comparisons, school profiles, "does X matter?", etc.) Right now, the design blows, but I'll work on that as I go along. I'm just interested in any feedback people have now, or in the future. I'm especially interested in ideas for upcoming posts. I've started out simply, but if you want to check it out, it's here:

http://www.admissionsbythenumbers.com/

I honestly hope this will be a somewhat helpful resource, but if any of you consider this spam, feel free to treat it as such. And thanks!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Re: Law School Stats Analysis Blog

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:56 pm

I like the design. It's simple, and the background is what I imagine your kitchen looks like :lol: (Books everywhere!)

Looking forward to reading your findings - it will be useful for future applicants to take a critical look at many of the assertions that TLS makes regarding admissions, whether it verifies them or refutes them.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I like the design. It's simple, and the background is what I imagine your kitchen looks like :lol: (Books everywhere!)

Looking forward to reading your findings - it will be useful for future applicants to take a critical look at many of the assertions that TLS makes regarding admissions, whether it verifies them or refutes them.
You're just saying that because I linked to your site! Seriously, though, thanks for your help. It's definitely my hope that the information will be useful. I think once I have gone through everything, I'll consolidate it into a non-blog site, but for now, it's a way to get input (hopefully) and put out some analysis as I dig through.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed May 29, 2013 2:03 pm

elterrible78 wrote:Hey everyone,

I pop up from time to time here with analysis that I've done based on LSN data, focused mostly on the effect numbers and other factors have on your chances of admission, as well as scholarship rewards. With all the same caveats that go along, I've started a blog to publish stuff that I find, and I'm hoping it will be helpful for people, especially once LSAT scores start coming back and the application cycle kicks off in September. I'll be updating it frequently throughout the summer with different stuff (comparisons, school profiles, "does X matter?", etc.) Right now, the design blows, but I'll work on that as I go along. I'm just interested in any feedback people have now, or in the future. I'm especially interested in ideas for upcoming posts. I've started out simply, but if you want to check it out, it's here:

http://www.admissionsbythenumbers.com/

I honestly hope this will be a somewhat helpful resource, but if any of you consider this spam, feel free to treat it as such. And thanks!
Nice trick, you really got me to click on that link. So two-thousand and LATE.

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:47 pm

Glad that you were able to get the blog set up! I look forward to reading more of your work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed May 29, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm jealous of the incoming 0Ls. Goodwork sir.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:22 pm

sinfiery wrote:I'm jealous of the incoming 0Ls. Goodwork sir.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm working on processing the data now, but I'll try to post something at least every couple days or so. Like I said, I'm definitely open to suggestions about what folks want to see analyzed.

laww

Bronze

Post by laww » Wed May 29, 2013 9:53 pm

I feel like URM is so unfair. Also I'm starting to think that I'm wasting my summer trying to secure a high LSAT because it seems law schools don't care about what you studied in college as long as your GPA is high.

My friend at the firm I work at is from Columbia and he basically told me finding a well paying job is ridiculously tough unless you're from a top school. If I had a time machine I'd go back and switch majors and maybe avoid that surgery!!!

Yay now I'm depressed :(

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Wed May 29, 2013 10:15 pm

laww wrote:I feel like URM is so unfair. Also I'm starting to think that I'm wasting my summer trying to secure a high LSAT because it seems law schools don't care about what you studied in college as long as your GPA is high.

My friend at the firm I work at is from Columbia and he basically told me finding a well paying job is ridiculously tough unless you're from a top school. If I had a time machine I'd go back and switch majors and maybe avoid that surgery!!!

Yay now I'm depressed :(
Banhammer?

Edit: OP, as a not even 0L, I really appreciate the work you're doing here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Good job OP.

You go to to HLS right?

stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Wed May 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Tagging.

That first post was pretty interesting.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed May 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Basic ideas I guess could be what questions we always see on TLS. Differences in retaking, majors, UG school.

The one I'd be interested in is applying early vs really early vs mid vs late. I have a feeling some schools like Berkeley really reward applying early.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Wed May 29, 2013 11:14 pm

sinfiery wrote:Basic ideas I guess could be what questions we always see on TLS. Differences in retaking, majors, UG school.

The one I'd be interested in is applying early vs really early vs mid vs late. I have a feeling some schools like Berkeley really reward applying early.
Yeah, a more detailed/specific look at the importance of timing would be awesome.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:14 pm

sinfiery wrote:Basic ideas I guess could be what questions we always see on TLS. Differences in retaking, majors, UG school.

First, thanks to everyone for the kind words and the enthusiasm! It'll be a while before I can really look at some meaty comparisons among schools, as I'm going through alphabetically to compile results on a school-by-school basis.

And to the poster who asked if I am at HLS: nope, 0L starting at Chicago this fall (with fellow stats nerds LSATSCORES2012 and Regulus). Coincidentally, it was getting WLed by Harvard that initially inspired me to start looking at this stuff. On TLS you hear a lot of "it's all about numbers, it's all about numbers." Yet, with a 178 and a 3.95, I got waitlisted, so this is clearly not entirely true. I don't claim to have any idea of why I got WLed at Harvard, but the initial curiosity about how important numbers really are sparked the idea to do this analysis at all.

And Sinfiery: some of that stuff (major, UG, etc) I just won't be able to do, because there are not enough datapoints. The earlier application stuff I definitely can do, but I'm going through the schools alphabetically so, just for you, I'll post a "school profile" on Berkeley ASAP (preview: you're right! ;-) )

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed May 29, 2013 11:19 pm

Good stuff elterrible, I always enjoy your insight.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed May 29, 2013 11:21 pm

elterrible78 wrote:Coincidentally, it was getting WLed by Harvard that initially inspired me to start looking at this stuff. On TLS you hear a lot of "it's all about numbers, it's all about numbers." Yet, with a 178 and a 3.95, I got waitlisted, so this is clearly not entirely true. I don't claim to have any idea of why I got WLed at Harvard, but the initial curiosity about how important numbers really are sparked the idea to do this analysis at all.
I'm glad something good came out of that.

This blog looks great. I'll be keeping an eye on it. :wink:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed May 29, 2013 11:28 pm

El (and Lavitz), could you give more insight as to why H or S could've WL'd you? Letters of rec, any red flags, C+F, etc?

Both of your cycles are really confusing with respect to those two schools.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:31 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:El (and Lavitz), could you give more insight as to why H or S could've WL'd you? Letters of rec, any red flags, C+F, etc?

I really have no idea, to be totally honest. I applied pretty late in the game to S, so I'd like to think that's the problem there. No C+F ever, and although I suspect one of my letters of rec may not have been all I was hoping for, it was enough to get pretty sweet deals at a lot of other schools. I didn't think my interview was bad, but I guess it could have been that?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed May 29, 2013 11:42 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:El (and Lavitz), could you give more insight as to why H or S could've WL'd you? Letters of rec, any red flags, C+F, etc?

I added a "no C&F issues" line in my LSN for this very reason. :lol:

I don't know. I guess I'm just not a very interesting person.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed May 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Lavitz wrote: I added a "no C&F issues" line in my LSN for this very reason. :lol:

Not to be a dick bro, but your GPA is way lower than OP's.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Wed May 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Lavitz wrote:

I added a "no C&F issues" line in my LSN for this very reason. :lol:

I don't know. I guess I'm just not a very interesting person.
Dude, I cannot believe you're not off the Columbia or Chicago waitlists. I'm sure you'll kill it wherever you go but your cycle is kind of an aberration.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu May 30, 2013 12:10 am

Dr. Dre wrote:Not to be a dick bro, but your GPA is way lower than OP's.
Yes, my GPA is below median for both Harvard and Chicago, and I've said before that I wasn't really surprised by the Harvard and Chicago WL's. But people (including rizzy) keep asking me about my app so I think it's warranted.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:58 am

Okay, just posted the Berkeley stuff. I want to maybe mess with some of the formatting stuff, but the info is there for anyone who is interested. As always, I'm all about the feedback and input. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”