Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby moshei24 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Which do I go to?

Brooklyn offered me 45K a year with frozen tuition. Fordham offered me 25K a year without frozen tuition. Both condition are easily maintainable, so I'm not even taking that into consideration.

Can you guys tell me pros and cons you see of each school? I like Fordham's location better. And I'm also going to try to negotiate with Fordham.

Both schools are really awesome and have really nice people.

Hi, admissions officer, if you're reading this.

acappella
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Brooklyn vs. Fordham

Postby acappella » Wed May 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Let me just clarify something. You sent that email to Cardozo and your "end goal came to this fruition" from that email. But you're not considering Cardozo. Did you really send them that nasty email just to make sure you got in so you could reject them?

Just curious.

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Brooklyn vs. Fordham

Postby moshei24 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:53 pm

acappella wrote:Let me just clarify something. You sent that email to Cardozo and your "end goal came to this fruition" from that email. But you're not considering Cardozo. Did you really send them that nasty email just to make sure you got in so you could reject them?

Just curious.



I'm not considering them because they have yet to give me an offer. If they do, I will definitely consider them. I knew I was accepted before writing that email. That email was so that they would explain to me what was going on, which they did.

acappella
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Brooklyn vs. Fordham

Postby acappella » Thu May 23, 2013 12:08 am

moshei24 wrote:
acappella wrote:Let me just clarify something. You sent that email to Cardozo and your "end goal came to this fruition" from that email. But you're not considering Cardozo. Did you really send them that nasty email just to make sure you got in so you could reject them?

Just curious.



I'm not considering them because they have yet to give me an offer. If they do, I will definitely consider them. I knew I was accepted before writing that email. That email was so that they would explain to me what was going on, which they did.


moshei24 wrote:If [Law School] is in the position to make me an offer this week, I would be happy to consider it


Seems like your end goal was really a scholarship offer. Good luck with that.

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Brooklyn vs. Fordham

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:32 am

acappella wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
acappella wrote:Let me just clarify something. You sent that email to Cardozo and your "end goal came to this fruition" from that email. But you're not considering Cardozo. Did you really send them that nasty email just to make sure you got in so you could reject them?

Just curious.



I'm not considering them because they have yet to give me an offer. If they do, I will definitely consider them. I knew I was accepted before writing that email. That email was so that they would explain to me what was going on, which they did.


moshei24 wrote:If [Law School] is in the position to make me an offer this week, I would be happy to consider it


Seems like your end goal was really a scholarship offer. Good luck with that.



End goal, yes. Immediate goal, no. My mistake. My immediate goal came to fruition.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby sublime » Thu May 23, 2013 12:40 am

..
Last edited by sublime on Thu May 23, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

acappella
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 11:36 pm

Re: Brooklyn vs. Fordham

Postby acappella » Thu May 23, 2013 12:43 am

moshei24 wrote:
acappella wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
acappella wrote:Let me just clarify something. You sent that email to Cardozo and your "end goal came to this fruition" from that email. But you're not considering Cardozo. Did you really send them that nasty email just to make sure you got in so you could reject them?

Just curious.



I'm not considering them because they have yet to give me an offer. If they do, I will definitely consider them. I knew I was accepted before writing that email. That email was so that they would explain to me what was going on, which they did.


moshei24 wrote:If [Law School] is in the position to make me an offer this week, I would be happy to consider it


Seems like your end goal was really a scholarship offer. Good luck with that.



End goal, yes. Immediate goal, no. My mistake. My immediate goal came to fruition.


The "end goal" of getting a scholarship offer would have been better served by being less combative. I highly doubt you're going to be seeing any money from them. So, to answer your question from your previous thread: no, that email was not a good idea.

To answer your question on this thread: Enjoy Fordham.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby 20141023 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:40 am

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:05 am

Brooklyn has one of the lowest (full-time) long-term JD required employment ratings in the country; but, if it's only going to cost you around $10k a year for tuition, and you already live in NY, then it's not a bad deal to take.

If you're serious about finding a job, then maybe go to Fordham. If you're interested in going solo, then maybe Brooklyn would be better.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 23, 2013 10:04 am

Before even factoring in interest, we're probably talking 150k+ for Fordham. Fordham is a solid school, but that's probably too much.

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:Before even factoring in interest, we're probably talking 150k+ for Fordham. Fordham is a solid school, but that's probably too much.



How do you come to 150K+??? 75K in tuition doesn't = to 150K. Living doesn't cost 25K a year anywhere.

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:26 pm

moshei24 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Before even factoring in interest, we're probably talking 150k+ for Fordham. Fordham is a solid school, but that's probably too much.



How do you come to 150K+??? 75K in tuition doesn't = to 150K. Living doesn't cost 25K a year anywhere.


Fordham lists their COA as $77,722 per year...

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Tuition and fees is at 51k. So you're at 26k a year after factoring your scholarship in. COL is listed on Fordhams website as over 25k. I'm sure you could do it for cheaper, but even a conservative estimate gets you to 135-140k before we even take into account the tens of thousands in interest you'll accumulate in your three years.

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:Tuition and fees is at 51k. So you're at 26k a year after factoring your scholarship in. COL is listed on Fordhams website as over 25k. I'm sure you could do it for cheaper, but even a conservative estimate gets you to 135-140k before we even take into account the tens of thousands in interest you'll accumulate in your three years.



What you're saying is scarily unaccurate. I suggest you do more research. I'll say it again - I'm a native NYer; I know what cost of living is here. 500-600 a month will give you a decent sized room in a nice apartment. Plus 100-150 for food each month comes to let's say 750/month food and shelter. That's 9K a year plus whatever books you need. Like I said 10-15K is a good estimate.

And really?? Tens of thousands of interest over three years? Let's say loans are on the high side at 120K over three years and not the low side of 105K, that's maybe 15-20K, tops, if even. Plus, I'd try to get loans from relatives where I don't have interest or maybe get help with cost of living. But tens of thousands? What, do you think loans are at 30% interest or something? LOL.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby beepboopbeep » Thu May 23, 2013 1:49 pm

moshei24 wrote:What you're saying is scarily unaccurate. I suggest you do more research. I'll say it again - I'm a native NYer; I know what cost of living is here. 500-600 a month will give you a decent sized room in a nice apartment. Plus 100-150 for food each month comes to let's say 750/month food and shelter. That's 9K a year plus whatever books you need. Like I said 10-15K is a good estimate.


qfp

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:53 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
moshei24 wrote:What you're saying is scarily unaccurate. I suggest you do more research. I'll say it again - I'm a native NYer; I know what cost of living is here. 500-600 a month will give you a decent sized room in a nice apartment. Plus 100-150 for food each month comes to let's say 750/month food and shelter. That's 9K a year plus whatever books you need. Like I said 10-15K is a good estimate.


qfp

Hope OP starts a video blog that details every law school related move for the next three years...This could be one of the greatest mockumentaries of all time.

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:54 pm

jas1503 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
moshei24 wrote:What you're saying is scarily unaccurate. I suggest you do more research. I'll say it again - I'm a native NYer; I know what cost of living is here. 500-600 a month will give you a decent sized room in a nice apartment. Plus 100-150 for food each month comes to let's say 750/month food and shelter. That's 9K a year plus whatever books you need. Like I said 10-15K is a good estimate.


qfp

Hope OP starts a video blog that details every law school related move for the next three years...This could be one of the greatest mockumentaries of all time.



You could find me on YouTube. ;)

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby 20141023 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:54 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

fractalalchemy
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby fractalalchemy » Thu May 23, 2013 1:57 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Ugh... Do you understand how compounding interest at 6.8%~7.9% works?

Also, $150 a month for food? Do you eat nothing but cereal and ramen?


I would guess that the OP is a freegan who occasionally splurges.

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby jas1503 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:59 pm

moshei24 wrote:
jas1503 wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
moshei24 wrote:What you're saying is scarily unaccurate. I suggest you do more research. I'll say it again - I'm a native NYer; I know what cost of living is here. 500-600 a month will give you a decent sized room in a nice apartment. Plus 100-150 for food each month comes to let's say 750/month food and shelter. That's 9K a year plus whatever books you need. Like I said 10-15K is a good estimate.


qfp

Hope OP starts a video blog that details every law school related move for the next three years...This could be one of the greatest mockumentaries of all time.



You could find me on YouTube. ;)


So OP, you're Moshei24 of the "Seeing the Success in Failure" youtube fame?

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:59 pm

fractalalchemy wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:Ugh... Do you understand how compounding interest at 6.8%~7.9% works?

Also, $150 a month for food? Do you eat nothing but cereal and ramen?


I would guess that the OP is a freegan who occasionally splurges.


When you're family lives nearby, it's not hard to have food. I made clear that I'm from NY many times. Read, buddy, read.

kferden
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby kferden » Thu May 23, 2013 2:02 pm

moshei24 wrote:Read, buddy, read.


moshei24 wrote:you're family lives nearby


Awesome.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby 20141023 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:03 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

moshei24
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:05 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
moshei24 wrote:
fractalalchemy wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:Ugh... Do you understand how compounding interest at 6.8%~7.9% works?

Also, $150 a month for food? Do you eat nothing but cereal and ramen?


I would guess that the OP is a freegan who occasionally splurges.


When you're family lives nearby, it's not hard to have food. I made clear that I'm from NY many times. Read, buddy, read.

lol... Being from a place and relying your your parents to pay for you as a graduate student are two completely different things. Nowhere in your statements above was it clear that your family was going to be paying for you. Write, buddy, write.



Pretty sure it's assumed that when your family lives nearby, you have a place to mooch food from. Unless, of course, your experience has been that family makes you pay to eat or take their food. If so, my sincerest apologies. :)

fractalalchemy
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Brooklyn $$$$ vs. Fordham $$

Postby fractalalchemy » Thu May 23, 2013 2:05 pm

moshei24 wrote:
fractalalchemy wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:Ugh... Do you understand how compounding interest at 6.8%~7.9% works?

Also, $150 a month for food? Do you eat nothing but cereal and ramen?


I would guess that the OP is a freegan who occasionally splurges.


When you're family lives nearby, it's not hard to have food. I made clear that I'm from NY many times. Read, buddy, read.


Why was I supposed to assume that you eat a bulk of your meals with your family? I live in NY and I have family nearby but I pay for my own food.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests