Yield Protected Email

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NonLawSchooler

Yield Protected Email

Postby NonLawSchooler » Wed May 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Here is an email that a prospective student, who believed that he/she was being yield protected by his/her own university, is thinking of sending an admissions officer. [The student's Lsat scores/GPA are 165, 170/3.49, and the school's 75th for LSAT/GPA are 165, 3.67] He/She is looking for some advice on how to improve the email and what your general thoughts are etc. I am not a past, present or future law student so I was not able to advise the student very well, but I had heard of this forum before. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

"Dear [Admissions Officer],

I hope all is well.

Exactly four weeks ago I received an email from [Law School] informing me that they were unable to act on my application, and that I was put on hold. (Before I continue, I want to apologize if anything I write sounds in any way rude, as it is not my intention.) That email didn't really make sense to me given my numbers and given the fact that I'm a [University] alumnus who was very involved in leadership programs and groups while in their undergraduate program. After speaking to [University Representatives] (I tried to speak to [Law School representatives] to no avail), I found out that [Law School] had run out of scholarship money, and for that reason put me on hold. I was also told that I could be admitted and attend [Law School] without scholarship money, if I so desired. As you might understand, that would not be an intelligent decision on my part.

This whole series of events really tainted the [University] name for me. Being put on hold really felt like a slap in the face, especially after I had waited an extremely long period time to hear back from [Law School]. Even given all of these events, I would still consider attending [Law School]. At this point, I have placed deposits at [School A] and [School B] , two schools that have offered me generous scholarships. [School A] : $25K a year, and [School B]: $45K a year. If [Law School] is in the position to make me an offer this week, I would be happy to consider it, and hopefully be able to continue my stay under the [University] umbrella.

If you would like to discuss any of this over the phone, I would be happy to do so.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
[0L]"

t-14orbust

Re: Yield Protected Email

Postby t-14orbust » Wed May 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Last edited by t-14orbust on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 pm

I cannot imagine an adcom responding positively to this email. Make it more positive and less indignant, IMO. But I'm also just an 0L and have not written one of these emails, so maybe seething resentment is what they're looking for...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Entitled, elitist whining directly to the people making the decision about her file? I can't possibly see how this could go wrong.

If she wants to go to Cardozo so bad, she should write a convincing Why X essay/LOCI.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:16 pm

I'd just send an email (LOCI, or letter of continued interest) saying you remain extremely interested in attending, especially given your previous affiliation with the university. When you get your foot in the door start hassling them for money. This email doesn't come off very well. If you want to know by the end of this week, add that, due to your particular circumstances, you would appreciate it if they could give you a final decision by the end of the week.
Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Wed May 22, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Douche chill...

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:17 pm

The problem with this email is you're asking for admission after being denied (and assuming that you've been YP) while simultaneously bragging about other offers and trying to use them to negotiate.

There's two steps to law school admissions:

1. Get Accepted
2. Bargain

In phase one they have the power, in phase two you do. Right now you're below phase one, so if you really want to get accepted don't even mention the other schools or scholarship just beg for an acceptance, then try bargaining for money.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Wed May 22, 2013 7:20 pm

NonLawSchooler wrote:Here is an email that a prospective student,

130 poast bro

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 pm

I'd be really interested in seeing the response.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Wow this email is horrendous.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 pm

NonLawSchooler wrote:Here is an email that a prospective student, who believed that he/she was being yield protected by his/her own university, is thinking of sending an admissions officer. [The student's Lsat scores/GPA are 165, 170/3.49, and the school's 75th for LSAT/GPA are 165, 3.67] He/She is looking for some advice on how to improve the email and what your general thoughts are etc. I am not a past, present or future law student so I was not able to advise the student very well, but I had heard of this forum before. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

I hope all is well.

Exactly four weeks ago I received an email from [Law School] informing me that they were unable to act on my application, and that I was put on hold. (Before I continue, I want to apologize if anything I write sounds in any way rude, as it is not my intention.) That email didn't really make sense to me given my numbers and given the fact that I'm a [University] alumnus who was very involved in leadership programs and groups while in their undergraduate program. After speaking to [University Representatives] (I tried to speak to [Law School representatives] to no avail), I found out that [Law School] had run out of scholarship money, and for that reason put me on hold. I was also told that I could be admitted and attend [Law School] without scholarship money, if I so desired. As you might understand, that would not be an intelligent decision on my part.

This whole series of events really tainted the [University] name for me. Being put on hold really felt like a slap in the face, especially after I had waited an extremely long period time to hear back from [Law School]. Even given all of these events, I would still consider attending [Law School]. At this point, I have placed deposits at [School A] and [School B] , two schools that have offered me generous scholarships. [School A] : $25K a year, and [School B]: $45K a year. If [Law School] is in the position to make me an offer this week, I would be happy to consider it, and hopefully be able to continue my stay under the [University] umbrella.

If you would like to discuss any of this over the phone, I would be happy to do so.

Sincerely,
[0L]"

top lel

Postby 20141023 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Wed May 22, 2013 9:51 pm

I am completely serious when I say this is the worst thing I've ever read. There is no way you could have sounded more like an awful, spoiled, demanding prick.

My money is on a rejection after that.

Postby 20141023 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:23 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu May 23, 2013 1:04 am

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:44 am

It's actually two different people on two different accounts. One is a 1L and one is a 0L. I'm the 0L.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu May 23, 2013 4:57 am

Hat.trick

Postby Hat.trick » Thu May 23, 2013 11:38 am

no wonder you didn't get in. Your personal statement probably just said "see LSAT score" and asked how soon they were going to accept you. tone it down dude, you dont hold any cards, they do.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Thu May 23, 2013 11:55 am

NonLawSchooler wrote:Here is an email that a prospective student, who believed that he/she was being yield protected by his/her own university, is thinking of sending an admissions officer. [The student's Lsat scores/GPA are 165, 170/3.49, and the school's 75th for LSAT/GPA are 165, 3.67] He/She is looking for some advice on how to improve the email and what your general thoughts are etc. I am not a past, present or future law student so I was not able to advise the student very well, but I had heard of this forum before. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

I hope all is well.

Sincerely,
[0L]"

A "prospective student" wrote this? You're not fooling anyone. This email makes you sound like a pompous prick with an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm

You aren't going to send this are you? It sounds like you applied very late. And your GPA is low. Did you think they should just admit you as an alum? This was poor planning on your part.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:09 pm

In the end, they called me up and were very apologetic about the whole situation. They explained to me that I was, what us 0L's call, yield protected, as they had run out of scholarship money.

I reposted the email elsewhere to provide more background information.

FYI, at most law schools, your LSAT score counts 4x as much as your GPA.

Thanks for all your wonderful feedback, guys! :)

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 pm

NYstate wrote:You aren't going to send this are you? It sounds like you applied very late. And your GPA is low. Did you think they should just admit you as an alum? This was poor planning on your part.

Let me reiterate what was written in the post: I already knew I was able to be accepted if I wanted to from my source; I just wanted everything to be cleared up with the school, and I wanted them to understand that I was very annoyed, and rightfully so, given the situation. They understood that and called me. Please see the other thread for more details, which explains all of this.

It felt like a slap in the face because I was an alum who was very involved on campus throughout my time in their Undergrad. Being an alum has nothing to do with why I thought I should be accepted. That was based purely on merits.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:14 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:

I hope all is well.

Sincerely,
[0L]"

A "prospective student" wrote this? You're not fooling anyone. This email makes you sound like a pompous prick with an unwarranted sense of entitlement.

I don't want to fool anyone. This is an email that I wrote. The person who posted this happens to be a 1L at a top school. We made a bet. He won.

moshei24

Postby moshei24 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Hat.trick wrote:no wonder you didn't get in. Your personal statement probably just said "see LSAT score" and asked how soon they were going to accept you. tone it down dude, you dont hold any cards, they do.

I'm not in the least bit desperate to attend this school, so actually, no one holds any cards. Certain situations call for certain emails. This situation called for this one, and it was very successful. Other situations call for other ones.

And actually, wrong. My personal statement just said, "see LSAT score" repeated over two pages. ;)

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Thu May 23, 2013 4:15 pm

moshei24 wrote:
NYstate wrote:You aren't going to send this are you? It sounds like you applied very late. And your GPA is low. Did you think they should just admit you as an alum? This was poor planning on your part.

Let me reiterate what was written in the post: I already knew I was able to be accepted if I wanted to from my source; I just wanted everything to be cleared up with the school, and I wanted them to understand that I was very annoyed, and rightfully so, given the situation. They understood that and called me. Please see the other thread for more details, which explains all of this.

It felt like a slap in the face because I was an alum who was very involved on campus throughout my time in their Undergrad. Being an alum has nothing to do with why I thought I should be accepted. That was based purely on merits.

Just how entitled are you? This might be the douchiest thread ever.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”