Could June retake help get more scholly this cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Micdiddy

Could June retake help get more scholly this cycle?

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Hello all, basically I am somewhat, but not fully, committed to going to school this fall, and after teaching the LSAT for a year I am confident I can retake for a 178+. If I put down deposits on a school, or more likely multiple schools, then take the LSAT in June, is it possible to negotiate for more money when scores come out in July before I fully commit to a school? Basically just wondering if this is "a thing." Feel free to flame :)
Last edited by Micdiddy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Re: Could June retake help get more scholly this cycle?

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Yep

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Yep

Cool. Any advice on how I should go about it? Like should I email them beforehand asking if they will consider raising scholly based on a new score, or spring it on them when scores come out?
Also, is it taboo/douchey to deposit at multiple schools knowing you'll withdraw from some/all of them or is this standard practice?
While we're at it, if I did withdraw from all in July or so, would they hold it against me when I just turn around and apply again in Sept.?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:44 pm

I really wouldn't mind more thoughts on this. Anyone do this? Have other suggestions?

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I really wouldn't mind more thoughts on this. Anyone do this? Have other suggestions?

I'm not an expert, but I do know that if you double deposit school's are informed of this information and will possibly contact you to see if you're planning on attending (for their median data). This would be a great time to negotiate for more money, although I'm not sure if having a few points higher on the LSAT will help.

For example, if you're at a 175 and the school's median is 170, to them it will not matter if you increase to a 178 as their reporting data would be unaffected (unless you were able to increase the 75th percentile or something). HTH

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Even if their numbers were set, if it could get you into a better school, you could leverage that for more money as they would feel that they have to offer you more money to come to their school instead

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Even if their numbers were set, if it could get you into a better school, you could leverage that for more money as they would feel that they have to offer you more money to come to their school instead

Two good points. Since I am above 75 for the schools that have admitted me so far, it's true getting a better LSAT won't change their numbers. However, If I am willing to sit out a cycle, I could double deposit, or even single deposit, and threaten to sit out and apply to better schools next cycle.
This all seems to be very fringe techniques for more money, but getting a better LSAT is the only leverage I have at this point and I simply cannot except 100k+ debt.

kdog1147

Postby kdog1147 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:02 am

Micdiddy wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Even if their numbers were set, if it could get you into a better school, you could leverage that for more money as they would feel that they have to offer you more money to come to their school instead

Two good points. Since I am above 75 for the schools that have admitted me so far, it's true getting a better LSAT won't change their numbers. However, If I am willing to sit out a cycle, I could double deposit, or even single deposit, and threaten to sit out and apply to better schools next cycle.
This all seems to be very fringe techniques for more money, but getting a better LSAT is the only leverage I have at this point and I simply cannot except 100k+ debt.

Good luck I'll be doing the same thing

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I really wouldn't mind more thoughts on this. Anyone do this? Have other suggestions?

i posted a thread just like this and was more curious too

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”