1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Misdirected
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm

1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby Misdirected » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:47 pm

My gpa was actually 3.93 when I graduated, but I spoke with pretty much everyone at my university, and they do NOT change old fs to Ws or Rs they post both. I did some calculations as lsac would and came up with 1.7. This includes some bad grades in art school (it was accredited so they count) my gpa there ranged from 0.5-1.5 which I factored in. Hell even if the Fs I turned into As were changed, they would only bump me up a few tenths of a point here and there to maybe a 1.8. The art school won't do an expungement, I'm basically stuck, and have exhausted all possibilities.

I'm sure I can get into CUNY or something, but I want to get into a place that will mean something. The lsac predictor won't even take a gpa below 2.0 so I don't know who will take me. I was thinking of retaking the LSAT to shoot for 170+ but that may not matter, and I wasted money on these powerscore books.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Your best bet is shooting for a 170+, but even that won't guarantee a good outcome. There is not much precedent for your situation on LSN.

Misdirected
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby Misdirected » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:24 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Your best bet is shooting for a 170+, but even that won't guarantee a good outcome. There is not much precedent for your situation on LSN.


What do you think my chances are at Pace, or Rutgers, Texas A&M?

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby jas1503 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Misdirected wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Your best bet is shooting for a 170+, but even that won't guarantee a good outcome. There is not much precedent for your situation on LSN.


What do you think my chances are at Pace, or Rutgers, Texas A&M?

You should ask the Texas Tech dean to consider your application.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby StylinNProfilin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:35 pm

you should definitely go to Texas A&M

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby hephaestus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:40 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:you should definitely go to Texas A&M

Stop trolling. OP, I think you may have to get an extremely high LSAT score and even then, as an above poster said, there's not many people like you on LSN. High LSATs are becoming valuable enough that they may help you.
However, I'd deeply consider options outside of law school.

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby 06102016 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:42 pm

..

Misdirected
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby Misdirected » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:51 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:you should definitely go to Texas A&M

Stop trolling. OP, I think you may have to get an extremely high LSAT score and even then, as an above poster said, there's not many people like you on LSN. High LSATs are becoming valuable enough that they may help you.
However, I'd deeply consider options outside of law school.


Why is it that if you make a post someone doesn't like. You're suddenly a troll? I have legit questions, sorry if the boyfriend didn't give you a proper ass ramming last night.

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby 06102016 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:53 pm

..
Last edited by 06102016 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:53 pm

jas1503 wrote:You should ask the Texas Tech dean to consider your application.


lol

User avatar
kryptik
Posts: 1512
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 am

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby kryptik » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Misdirected wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:you should definitely go to Texas A&M

Stop trolling. OP, I think you may have to get an extremely high LSAT score and even then, as an above poster said, there's not many people like you on LSN. High LSATs are becoming valuable enough that they may help you.
However, I'd deeply consider options outside of law school.


Why is it that if you make a post someone doesn't like. You're suddenly a troll? I have legit questions, sorry if the boyfriend didn't give you a proper ass ramming last night.


He answered you.

Stop trying to prove you are as stupid as your 1.7 indicates.

kckool7
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby kckool7 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:00 pm

I doubt any top 100 school is going to consider someone below a 2.0 without extensive (ie: a decade or more) work experience. Just too risky that the student has 0 clue whatsoever how to pass a challenging class. And a clear record of quitting on things quickly that don't interest them. I say this as a low GPA splitter myself, but a 1.7 is really off the charts atrocious.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby StylinNProfilin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Asking for chances at a school that doesnt exist isnt helping his case

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:05 pm

I honestly think there will be some good schools that will bite on that LSAT. I predict Indiana.

PRgradBYU
Posts: 1419
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 pm

ImNoScar wrote:However, I'd deeply consider options outside of law school.


+1. Alternatively, you could retake the LSAT and score 170+.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby 20141023 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:58 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wohast
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby Wohast » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm

jas1503 wrote:You should ask the Texas Tech dean to consider your application.

180

Misdirected
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby Misdirected » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:36 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:I think the real question here is not whether you can go to law school, but rather how you managed to get a 1.7 GPA. That is actually sort of impressive in a backwards sort of way. How many classes did you withdraw from??


Again, I got a solid gpa, but the fs I got count because they are on the transcript. I also attended an art school before going to college and never attended class, I got all Fs there. I mean I never went to class. Perhaps 5-8 classes. This is also my own calculation it may not be that bad. I added all my GPAs from each semester then divided by the total number. My actual GPA was 3.9.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby hephaestus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:44 pm

What are your options outside of law school? I would think about grad programs that aren't tabulated like the LSAC system. If a school looks at your transcript for a grad program and sees a 3.9, it'll be a huge boost obviously. What about a MPA (if you are interested in policy) or an MAcc (if you're after money)?

ninjaunderwear
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby ninjaunderwear » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 am

Misdirected wrote:Again, I got a solid gpa, but the fs I got count because they are on the transcript. I also attended an art school before going to college and never attended class, I got all Fs there. I mean I never went to class. Perhaps 5-8 classes. This is also my own calculation it may not be that bad. I added all my GPAs from each semester then divided by the total number. My actual GPA was 3.9.

How can you not be sure about the math?

User avatar
BerkeleyBear
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby BerkeleyBear » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:24 am

ninjaunderwear wrote:
Misdirected wrote:Again, I got a solid gpa, but the fs I got count because they are on the transcript. I also attended an art school before going to college and never attended class, I got all Fs there. I mean I never went to class. Perhaps 5-8 classes. This is also my own calculation it may not be that bad. I added all my GPAs from each semester then divided by the total number. My actual GPA was 3.9.

How can you not be sure about the math?

Just to make sure here's a link if you need it OP. Hopefully it isn't as bad as you think.

http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby Cobretti » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:37 am

ImNoScar wrote:What are your options outside of law school? I would think about grad programs that aren't tabulated like the LSAC system. If a school looks at your transcript for a grad program and sees a 3.9, it'll be a huge boost obviously. What about a MPA (if you are interested in policy) or an MAcc (if you're after money)?

This is the best advice right here. Find somewhere that will consider you a 3.9 in another career and you'll be set.

User avatar
dsb83
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: 1.7 GPA with a 165 LSAT, can I get in anywhere?

Postby dsb83 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 pm

You need to either 1)petition to have the Fs removed 2) contact the "art school" or the school where you gradated from if it is the same, and see if there is any option for an retroactive withdrawal to have the Fs changed to Ws. For 2) did you have any reason for signing up and not attending classes? Depressed? Other sickness? Have documentation? I have known someone that has gotten prior Fs change to a medical withdrawal under such circumstances, but I am sure it depends a lot on the schools. Assuming you have exhausted all avenues of getting the grades changed or dropped, you need to craft a really well written addendum explaining the circumstances that produced the Fs. If all that happened was you started school, didn't go and then failed to stay on top of making sure the grades didn't count, I do not see why law schools would focus on that. It's not like you made and effort and failed, or otherwise messed around and ended up with bad grades. Your LSAT score and GPA following the failed start at art school are the true indicators of your past performance and future potential.

The typical rules and GPA floors shouldn't apply to you...but you need to explain why that is. Explain this to law schools, and I don't see why they won't make an exception and evaluate you based on your GPA from when you were a committed student and your LSAT. I was in a similar situation with a low GPA(2.7) due to Fs when I basically had withdrawn for the semester but just the classes go. I wrote a solid addendum and my admissions results were pretty much in line with what my GPA would have been without the Fs. 1.7 is trickier than 2.7 but I think you have a good shot at adequately explaining the GPA. Again, if you have some sort of documented extenuating circumstances, this will be much easier.

Also I think you would do better talking to admissions departments than soliciting advice on here but hope this helps.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests