Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
highlander1

Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby highlander1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:37 pm

This site gave me a lot of help. So why not return the favor. I kind of waned a thread like this when I was applying so, ask away.
Feel free to PM as well. Other current students are encouraged to join the thread.

steakandchicken

Re: Rutgers-Camden Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby steakandchicken » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:21 pm

1. What kind of job do you have for the summer? Where did you find out about it?
2. Did you do Jump Start? If so, do you think it was worth it?

highlander1

Postby highlander1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:28 pm

steakandchicken wrote:1. What kind of job do you have for the summer? Where did you find out about it?

1. I'm working for the DA's office over the summer. There are plenty of ways to find out about a job. For instance, a friend can get you a paying position at a firm. Or you can read the career services postings via Symplicity and/or Rutgers email. Or just search online/call the agency you're interested. I found out about mine while networking.
2. Jump Start is worth it, especially if you get a professor named Patterson.
However, it's NOT going to make or break your 1L grades (at all) if you don't take Jump Start.
Best thing about taking jumpstart for me was that I had a lot free time over the Fall semester to find a job for the Spring semester / network with attorneys in Philly.
Last edited by highlander1 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

steakandchicken

Postby steakandchicken » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Cool, thanks! When you say you found out about it while networking, did you network at a school sponsored event or do you have existing connections?

highlander1

Postby highlander1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:46 pm

steakandchicken wrote:Cool, thanks! When you say you found out about it while networking, did you network at a school sponsored event or do you have existing connections?

Both. I had a pre-existing network, but this one in specific I went to one of the diversity clubs' banquets and met the attorney there. (Btw, most of the diversity clubs are very close with their respective bar associations in NJ/PA). I also strongly encourage you to join certain bar associations you are interested during your first semester 1L, because events sponsored by them are very nice in terms of networking/ just getting food + drinks.

I think you may be asking this to evaluate what kind of networking opportunities Rutgers offers. If you play your cards right, it's VERY decent.
Last edited by highlander1 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:46 pm

highlander1 wrote:
steakandchicken wrote:1. What kind of job do you have for the summer? Where did you find out about it?

1. I'm working for the Philly DA's office over the summer. There are plenty of ways to find out about a job. For instance, a friend can get you a paying position at a firm.

LOL

highlander1

Postby highlander1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:51 pm

piccolittle wrote:
highlander1 wrote:

1. I'm working for the Philly DA's office over the summer. There are plenty of ways to find out about a job. For instance, a friend can get you a paying position at a firm.

LOL

That's actually a true story for me. Granted that this friend has a lot of political power within the firm.
I turned it down to work for the DAs because I want to be an ADA after graduation.
That and, call it cheesy or w/e I advocate justice.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:14 pm

highlander1 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
highlander1 wrote:

LOL

That's actually a true story for me. Granted that this friend has a lot of political power within the firm.
I turned it down to work for the DAs because I want to be an ADA after graduation.
That and, call it cheesy or w/e I advocate justice.

That's what DAs do?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:22 pm

dr123 wrote:That's what DAs do?

no

highlander1

Postby highlander1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Cool story. I get that we're all bored. But this thread is for prospective Rutgers students / current students to answer couple questions about Rutgers-Camden.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:04 pm

highlander1 wrote:Cool story. I get that we're all bored. But this thread is for prospective Rutgers students / current students to answer couple questions about Rutgers-Camden.

What is your projected cost of attendance for three years?

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:19 pm

highlander1 wrote:Cool story. I get that we're all bored. But this thread is for prospective Rutgers students / current students to answer couple questions about Rutgers-Camden.

+1. People shouldn't be dicks even if that sort of response is lulzy.

highlander1

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:42 am

cahwc12 wrote:

My personal cost of attendance is very low because Rutgers was very generous with me. But I mean, scholarships are always negotiable, and even if you do not receive any financial aid, RU-C made it so that in-state tuition is very easy to get. (Pretty much all you need is a NJ driver's license by your fall semester). And compared to other private schools RU-C has a bargain in-state sticker price.

As for the return on your investment, it really depends how you work toward that job you want to get. Personally I think it's pretty much the same with all the schools around us except Penn.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:09 am

Still lol'ing about the "rising 2L" line even though we haven't finished up 1L.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:13 am

highlander1 wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:

My personal cost of attendance is very low because Rutgers was very generous with me. But I mean, scholarships are always negotiable, and even if you do not receive any financial aid, RU-C made it so that in-state tuition is very easy to get. (Pretty much all you need is a NJ driver's license by your fall semester). And compared to other private schools RU-C has a bargain in-state sticker price.

As for the return on your investment, it really depends how you work toward that job you want to get. Personally I think it's pretty much the same with all the schools around us except Penn.

Would you recommend someone to attend this law school without a very low cost of attendance?

highlander1

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:40 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Still lol'ing about the "rising 2L" line even though we haven't finished up 1L.

This coming from a part time student who bashed Rutgers for a full month or two on TLS. Then ended up attending... okay. Did you replace your previous posts with "." again? I don't really need to get in a debate with you, but the title of this thread REALLY is insignificant than the purpose. And it's very likely that I will be a 2L this coming fall semester. So... just be a nice beta. It's great to trash talk behind the internet.
Last edited by highlander1 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:48 am

Taking the low road as always. I'm disappointed.

highlander1

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:00 am

cahwc12 wrote:
Would you recommend someone to attend this law school without a very low cost of attendance?

This is a tough question to be honest. I'm not going to tell you that a degree from Rutgers will easily get you a job. We don't have the prestige that UPenn offers. Regardless, our network is strong in the Philly/South Jersey legal community. And the education here is solid. So.. if you're confident that you can either get a GPA that will place you in the top 5% (even after that I recommend you read books about how to do well in legal interviews), or if you're willing to do some leg work and network with attorneys, then yes I would recommend sticker instate price. If your other alternatives are expensive private schools.

Through the diversity clubs, I met bunch of other students from Nova, Temple and Drexel. And, they're pretty much on the same boat with us. It's tough out there. So again, I would choose Rutgers over a more expensive alternative.

Those who do get jobs, generally get them through connections. Generally from attorneys/judges you see over and over again. It is possible get into a decent firms from Rutgers. I know several upperclassmen / alumni who had GPAs around 3.3s and still got into Drinker Biddle, Archer Greiner, and Blank Rome (To name a few- if this is something you're interested in).

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:07 am

highlander1 wrote:

1. I'm working for the Philly DA's office over the summer. There are plenty of ways to find out about a job. For instance, a friend can get you a paying position at a firm. Or you can read the career services postings via Symplicity and/or Rutgers email. Or just search online/call the agency you're interested. I found out about mine while networking.

You really ought to edit this to make it clear that getting a paying position at a decent firm (whether small or big) is pretty unlikely after your first-year (and, frankly, your second year or after graduation at Rutgers-Camden).

I was just looking at Rutgers-Camden's employment stats when I was writing this post and I noticed their salary data, and I was super confused that the 50th and 25th percentiles were both listed as exactly $43,437 but then I realized it is probably the salary for state court clerkships. The 75th percentile of the 50% of the class that reported was $57,000. Since it is with only 50% of the class reporting, it is more like $43,437 is the 75th percentile for recent grads and 57K is the 88th percentile. This means that very few grads are getting good private sector work since most good private sector work pays more than 57K.

Anyway, I agree with you that RU-C can be a good choice if you are paying basically nothing and you want to do government or maybe PI work (ideally you also have ties to NJ). But don't make it sound like it's easy to get into desirable private sector work without being like top 5% + LR.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:11 am

The hilarious thing is, he even admits that:

highlander1 wrote:if you're confident that you can either get a GPA that will place you in the top 5%

So folks reading this, realize that means there's a 95% chance you WON'T be able to do this. The NLJ data that just came out looks optimistic for RU-C, but it was still only 8% of the class getting biglaw.

highlander1

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:13 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Taking the low road as always. I'm disappointed.

InGoodFaith wrote:You're a low life piece of shit. Don't know why you think I would ever tell you more about myself, when the whole reason you asked is so that you could out me.

I know who you are because you outted yourself on Facebook. Don't make this get ugly.

Yup. I'm the one taking the low road lol. I think you're mad.... bro.
Last edited by highlander1 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:15 am

Hooray for posting things without any context!

highlander1 wrote:I don't actually believe any of the stuff I posted, just enjoy trolling for our prestigious state school.

highlander1

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:20 am

highlander1 wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:

This is a tough question to be honest. I'm not going to tell you that a degree from Rutgers will easily get you a job. We don't have the prestige that UPenn offers. Regardless, our network is strong in the Philly/South Jersey legal community. And the education here is solid. So.. if you're confident that you can either get a GPA that will place you in the top 5% (even after that I recommend you read books about how to do well in legal interviews), or if you're willing to do some leg work and network with attorneys, then yes I would recommend sticker instate price. If your other alternatives are expensive private schools.

Through the diversity clubs, I met bunch of other students from Nova, Temple and Drexel. And, they're pretty much on the same boat with us. It's tough out there. So again, I would choose Rutgers over a more expensive alternative.

Those who do get jobs, generally get them through connections. Generally from attorneys/judges you see over and over again. It is possible get into a decent firms from Rutgers. I know several upperclassmen / alumni who had GPAs around 3.3s and still got into Drinker Biddle, Archer Greiner, and Blank Rome (To name a few- if this is something you're interested in).

Never said it was easy. You have to work for it. Either network hard or get in the top 5% to get a firm job.
And I did receive a firm offer after the first semester of my 1L. Granted that I was one of the lucky ones.
But yes, it's not a cake-walk from Rutgers. However, again. Temple, Nova, Drexel are pretty much on the same boat because the economy is tough.
So I recommend it if Rutgers is a cheaper alternative than it's peers.
Last edited by highlander1 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

highlander1

Postby highlander1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:22 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Hooray for posting things without any context!

highlander1 wrote:I don't actually believe any of the stuff I posted, just enjoy trolling for our prestigious state school.

You're so mature.. lol. To the extent that you have to manufacture a quote. Difference between yours and mine is that you actually PMed me that.
And don't make this thread about us, it's for the prospective 1Ls.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:24 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Hooray for posting things without any context!

Hey man, I get that there's animosity between the both of you, but talk shit about the dude's answers or apparent belief in hustle being everything if you want to make a statement.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”