Application Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Clearly

Gold

Application Question

Post by Clearly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:21 am

My plan all along has been to apply in Sept, early next cycle. I'm a super splitter shooting for a splitter friendly t-14; UVA, NW, Gtwn. I'm still leaning towards just holding off, sticking with the plan, and applying in Sept. Recently the thought has crept in my head to shoot off an app or two just to see if anything sticks. I'd literally be applying at the closing deadline. I'd do so knowing that nearly all seats are full, and I'd likely get dinged, but I'd like the opinions of the masses on the risks/reward.

The main question: There are two mentalities on reapplying. The one I lean towards is if a university dings me for applying so late in a cycle, when I apply in Sept with a nearly identical app, they'd be more inclined to deny me again...Not good enough last year, not good enough this year attitude. The other school of thought claims reapplying to the same school shows dedication to that school, and would either have no effect or a positive effect on outcome. Which of these do you believe and why?

The only reason I'm even considering something as ill-advised as applying in late Feb is because of how this cycle has played out thus far, apps are down etc. While there are more seats available early on, I suspect (esp in splitter cases) that we might get lucky in filling a niche or altering the entering class late in the cycle. If my school is one 75th+% away from pushing the 75th up a whole number, a late splitter could be desirable etc

The answer to the first question is key. If getting dinged this cycle would have any negative effect on next cycle, I wouldn't consider trying; if on the other hand, it doesn't, I have nothing to lose, as I have fee waivers and always stand a small chance of getting in a year early. If I did apply this late, I would likely only apply to UVA ED, and if it doesn't work reapply next year blanketing.

bp shinners

Gold

Re: Application Question

Post by bp shinners » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Whenever I've talked with admissions officers about reapplicants, they've always said they take a look at the old application and see if anything's changed. So if you decide to go through with this plan, make sure something changes when you reapply.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Thats the thing, little will change. I've already finished my lsat and gpa and am not eligible to retake (nor would I). I could spend a few months writing different a different PS, but that's all that could change. Apply or don't bother?

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:don't bother

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:32 am

Can I get another opinion or two? I'm inclined to say just forget it myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:36 am

What is the point? You will have a better chance next cycle. The best case outcome is the same, unless you are just really impatient.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:04 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:just forget it

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:54 am

You've listed a lot of good reasons about why you should wait, and haven't said much beyond "eh why not" about applying this cycle. If you're really a super super splitter this late is too late.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”