Need some TLS wisdom on negotiating scholarship (at Cardozo) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CallMeMaybee

New

Need some TLS wisdom on negotiating scholarship (at Cardozo)

Post by CallMeMaybee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Long time lurker, but this is my first post because I'm in dire need of some TLS wisdom.

I've been accepted to Cardozo with 40k. It's my first choice. I'm not trying be greedy, but I REALLY would like a full ride. 40k is soooooo close. The only other acceptance I have is to a local TTT with 75% tuition. I'm waiting to hear back from 2 T14 but not expecting much from them (GPA is 3.19/ LSAT is 169). If it matters, I have a Master's, legal work experience, and am a registered patent agent. I'm not from NY.

So... should I even bother asking for more $$$? Do I have any chance? And, how do I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance!

teachmehowtoraji

Bronze

Re: Need some TLS wisdom on negotiating scholarship (at Cardozo)

Post by teachmehowtoraji » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm sure you'll hear this from a ton of people on this thread, but your 169 should open up a lot of doors at schools with much better employment stats than Cardozo, probably even with a fair amount of $ this cycle. Where else did you apply other than the two T14s you mentioned/where do you want to end up working in the long run?

CallMeMaybee

New

Post by CallMeMaybee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks for your response- I'm really not interested in living/ working anywhere that isn't NYC or my home state, so that's why I really only applied to those 4 schools. I have ties/ connections in both places that I think will help at least a little bit in getting a job once I graduate. And, I'm very hesitant to take out substantial loans to compound what I already have from grad school.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 am

CallMeMaybee wrote:Thanks for your response- I'm really not interested in living/ working anywhere that isn't NYC or my home state, so that's why I really only applied to those 4 schools. I have ties/ connections in both places that I think will help at least a little bit in getting a job once I graduate. And, I'm very hesitant to take out substantial loans to compound what I already have from grad school.
Then don't go to Cardozo. Even with a full-ride, how are you going to pay for COL? You're not from NYC, so I'm guessing you aren't going to live with family. Nothing below Fordham is worth borrowing NYC COL for (and Fordham's probably a tenuous prospect ITT).

As far as getting more dough, it's probably unlikely. You're a splitter, and school's will pay for your LSAT, but they're not going to completely roll out the red carpet unless you bring both their LSAT and UGPA numbers up. It's not that helpful to have one stat that's way above their 75th percentile versus merely at their 75th percentile.

Then again, I applied to schools before the ITE apocalypse hit the law schools themselves. Now that they are more desperate for applicants, maybe your mileage will vary.

CallMeMaybee

New

Post by CallMeMaybee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks, TTH. I have enough savings to cover about a year and a half worth of living expenses and I have another job that I will continue to do remotely (it is an online deal with very flexible hours), so I was not planning in taking any loans out to cover cost of living, just tuition.

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Why not take what you have, go try to negotiate part time with Fordham (might even get some money, just walk up to Dean Brown's office and knock on the door). Your stats, patent agent etc fits the evening program at Fordham (GPA a bit low but LSAT might make up for it). I think that working full time with a lesser scholarship at Fordham will be a better deal for your career prospects than going to Cardozo but a bit of that is personal experience which is skewed by results...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”