Deferred at Cornell (2012 EA Applicants) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dream Weave

Bronze

Re: Deferred at Cornell (2012 EA Applicants)

Post by Dream Weave » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:33 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:I don't really understand why they're waiting to get back to us, but continue to get back to RD kids. I am definitely feeling that applying EA was a terrible choice.
I'm really questioning the whole apply as early as possible argument ITE and especially this cycle of admissions desperation.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Dream Weave wrote:
T20hopeful89 wrote:I don't really understand why they're waiting to get back to us, but continue to get back to RD kids. I am definitely feeling that applying EA was a terrible choice.
I'm really questioning the whole apply as early as possible argument ITE and especially this cycle of admissions desperation.
:( :( :( :( :(

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:02 pm

They are waitllisting 3.7/167s as well as 168 splitters. I feel like I'm on death row - shit takes forever, you may get teased a couple times, but in the end you know what's going to happen.

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Dream Weave wrote:They are waitllisting 3.7/167s as well as 168 splitters. I feel like I'm on death row - shit takes forever, you may get teased a couple times, but in the end you know what's going to happen.

To be fair, there is only one 167/3.7, it looks like and we don't know whether that person has work experience, any negative softs, etc....

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:49 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:They are waitllisting 3.7/167s as well as 168 splitters. I feel like I'm on death row - shit takes forever, you may get teased a couple times, but in the end you know what's going to happen.

To be fair, there is only one 167/3.7, it looks like and we don't know whether that person has work experience, any negative softs, etc....
Thank you for keeping the positivity in the room!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 pm

Tso nervous. I think getting skipped out on reserve today was the beginning of the end for me.

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:53 am

dproduct wrote:Tso nervous. I think getting skipped out on reserve today was the beginning of the end for me.
I wasn't put on reserve either - was anyone who was deferred from EA? I think it would be strange to be outright rejected at cornell with my numbers, work experience and a why cornell, but you never know...

It doesn't really look like they have dealt with any of our applications yet, aside from the few deferred kids who heard in January.

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:36 am

It does not appear that anyone who was deferred heard back yesterday. A few people with numbers better than mine we're put on the list though.

On a side note, I appreciate how Cornell selects their students. They don't game the rankings by accepting the super splitters. They actually accept people on the merit of their academic record while taking into consideration undergrad prestige ect. I could have gone to the state u and undoubtedly gotten a higher gpa, I feel like the rankings to a certain extent punish kids who went to undergrads that don't have major grade inflation. For instance, I went to a top liberal arts school that is notorious for their massive grade deflation.

It is complaining, but true nonetheless.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:42 am

Dream Weave wrote:It does not appear that anyone who was deferred heard back yesterday. A few people with numbers better than mine we're put on the list though.

On a side note, I appreciate how Cornell selects their students. They don't game the rankings by accepting the super splitters. They actually accept people on the merit of their academic record while taking into consideration undergrad prestige ect. I could have gone to the state u and undoubtedly gotten a higher gpa, I feel like the rankings to a certain extent punish kids who went to undergrads that don't have major grade inflation. For instance, I went to a top liberal arts school that is notorious for their massive grade deflation.

It is complaining, but true nonetheless.
Just heard back from GULC on my held status... but I'm still in sheer held purgatory as I am also held at Cornell and UT :x

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cornelius10

New

Post by cornelius10 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:50 pm

looks like admissions is sending out interview requests for auto admit RD applicants as part of yield protect. we probably wont be hearing from cornell for awhile, since they still need to figure out what their total actual applicant pool is like...

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:54 am

cornelius10 wrote:looks like admissions is sending out interview requests for auto admit RD applicants as part of yield protect. we probably wont be hearing from cornell for awhile, since they still need to figure out what their total actual applicant pool is like...
:( :( :( :(

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:53 pm

dproduct wrote:
cornelius10 wrote:looks like admissions is sending out interview requests for auto admit RD applicants as part of yield protect. we probably wont be hearing from cornell for awhile, since they still need to figure out what their total actual applicant pool is like...
:( :( :( :(
Jesus, this party is going to last a while.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:33 am

I think I'm going to send in another LOCI this week. It's worth a shot I think. I want Cornell to know I'm serious.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cornelius10

New

Post by cornelius10 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:44 am

dproduct wrote:I think I'm going to send in another LOCI this week. It's worth a shot I think. I want Cornell to know I'm serious.
when was the most recent one? i thought about this too but decided against it because i didnt know what else to say other than "hey.. so just letting you know youre STILL my top choice.."
i didnt want to come across as neurotic

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:55 am

cornelius10 wrote:
dproduct wrote:I think I'm going to send in another LOCI this week. It's worth a shot I think. I want Cornell to know I'm serious.
when was the most recent one? i thought about this too but decided against it because i didnt know what else to say other than "hey.. so just letting you know youre STILL my top choice.."
i didnt want to come across as neurotic
I think I sent one in January with a few updates to my app. It's been over a month... I'll sleep on it, but it may be worth reminding them.

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:48 am

FWIW, I spoke to someone in admissions who was super helpful. I was contemplating making the drive-up to show interest. She said that the admissions committee would not be given any additional information to consider after the Feb 1st deadline. She was basically telling me don't waste your time coming up untill you are accepted because it won't do anything. I would assume the same applies to an LOCI at this late hour, but its obviously your call.

In any event, I'm rooting for you. Anyone who shows this much passion for a school would only be an asset to their community.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Dream Weave wrote:FWIW, I spoke to someone in admissions who was super helpful. I was contemplating making the drive-up to show interest. She said that the admissions committee would not be given any additional information to consider after the Feb 1st deadline. She was basically telling me don't waste your time coming up untill you are accepted because it won't do anything. I would assume the same applies to an LOCI at this late hour, but its obviously your call.
I just wanted to second this. Since I didn't really want to write a second LOCI if it was going to be tossed into the trash, I politely called them and asked. I was given the same response, nothing else would be added to your file for consideration after February 1st (which stinks because I have some updates for the ole' resume). This pretty much reflects what the status checker says, but they confirmed it via phone-call as well. Not trying to discourage anyone, just sharing some knowledge.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cornelius10

New

Post by cornelius10 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:16 am

well looks like its officially out of our hands 100%. so many months of waiting... my t14 dream comes down to this

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:44 am

cornelius10 wrote:well looks like its officially out of our hands 100%. so many months of waiting... my t14 dream comes down to this
GULP

Dream Weave

Bronze

Post by Dream Weave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:02 am

Does anyone here think any of us out of the 3.7 or 167 realm have a chance? Going the same way, can anyone explain to me why schools waitlist people who are below both medians? I was going through the Cornell and Vanderbilt waitlist threads and it seemed like the only ppl that were taken off waitlists were above at least one median.

willio

New

Post by willio » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Well this is annoying. I applied 4 months ago. I'D JUST LIKE AN ANSWER, CORNELL! Please?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:21 pm

willio wrote:Well this is annoying. I applied 4 months ago. I'D JUST LIKE AN ANSWER, CORNELL! Please?
Honestly. Though if the response is an acceptance, I guess I'd be willing to make it 5 months...

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Welp after today's WL bonanza... Cornell... you're my only hope now.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:44 pm

I'm not even checking my status checker daily anymore. I don't know if that's a good sign, or just me being broken. :lol:

lp72

New

Post by lp72 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Joining the deferral party! :D
Getting more nervous everyday as more people are getting accepted..... :cry:
I also don't check the status checker anymore haha!
Do you guys think not being put on the reserve list at this point is good news or bad news?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”