schools' mean LSAT

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19664
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re:

Postby dailygrind » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:53 pm

underdawg wrote:Rutgers, THE State University of NJ-156

BUT this is for Rutgers College only, the best subdivision of the school. I bet a lot of other state schools have the same thing going on...


Damn. Rutgers Newark - 146. I guess it's not as good a division. At least it's not in Camden.

s5cunliffe
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby s5cunliffe » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Western Michigan University- 163

User avatar
jaudette
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby jaudette » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:57 pm

s5cunliffe wrote:Western Michigan University- 163


Shut up. No its not.

s5cunliffe
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby s5cunliffe » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:58 pm

Haha yeah I was joking... I got a 163 and I'm probably the only person from WMU to ever take it

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:00 pm

Goodbye, data.
Last edited by OperaSoprano on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19664
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby dailygrind » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:03 pm

I feel you on that one...my school had 34% in the 0-19 range.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:04 pm

dailygrind wrote:I feel you on that one...my school had 34% in the 0-19 range.


Do you think it's going to hurt us, though, if we managed to buck the trend?

User avatar
youpiiz
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby youpiiz » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:05 pm

.
Last edited by youpiiz on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:07 pm

youpiiz wrote:so if there is no mean lsat on the report, then my school doesnt have a published mean?


It means your school had too few LSAT takers to compile reliable data. Did LSAC give you a range for your school, as they did for mine? You were international, right?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19664
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby dailygrind » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Probably. In a lot of my classes I didn't have to bust my ass and I was the best, or damn close to it. The curve ensured that. It's valid for a school to guess that I am not as academically prepared as someone with an identical transcript who attended a more rigorous college.

User avatar
youpiiz
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby youpiiz » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:10 pm

.
Last edited by youpiiz on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jaudette
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby jaudette » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:14 pm

They will compare it to your GPA distribution to judge the grade inflation. Thats about it.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:25 pm

dailygrind wrote:Probably. In a lot of my classes I didn't have to bust my ass and I was the best, or damn close to it. The curve ensured that. It's valid for a school to guess that I am not as academically prepared as someone with an identical transcript who attended a more rigorous college.


This is a distinct possibility, but there is also some truth to the notion that the best students will flourish anywhere. My school did not curve, and grading, though inflated, was extremely random and capricious. I did well, though, so I hope my efforts (and yours) will not pass unnoticed.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:26 pm

youpiiz wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
youpiiz wrote:so if there is no mean lsat on the report, then my school doesnt have a published mean?


It means your school had too few LSAT takers to compile reliable data. Did LSAC give you a range for your school, as they did for mine? You were international, right?


oh i foundz it!


Where was yours? I'm convinced that mine was never published, but I would pay good money to see it.

roberts1920
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby roberts1920 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 am

dzf
Last edited by roberts1920 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResIpsaLoquitur
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:07 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby ResIpsaLoquitur » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:37 am

Ithaca College- 154

Tunafizzish
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby Tunafizzish » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:57 pm

tsk.
Last edited by Tunafizzish on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby RVP11 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:02 pm

Tunafizzish wrote:University of Iowa 161


We're not posting our scores, dude.

User avatar
spinsta
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby spinsta » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:07 pm

This thread makes me feel good about my score.

User avatar
Dead Ringer
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby Dead Ringer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:17 pm

spinsta wrote:This thread makes me feel good about my score.


Remember, the average LSAT taker doesn't do very well and probably says "fuck it I guess I am not going to law school." They probably don't spend much time on TLS.

User avatar
spinsta
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby spinsta » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:50 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:
spinsta wrote:This thread makes me feel good about my score.


Remember, the average LSAT taker doesn't do very well and probably says "fuck it I guess I am not going to law school." They probably don't spend much time on TLS.


True, but doing better than Harvard's average has to make you feel good, right?

User avatar
Dead Ringer
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby Dead Ringer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 pm

spinsta wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:
spinsta wrote:This thread makes me feel good about my score.


Remember, the average LSAT taker doesn't do very well and probably says "fuck it I guess I am not going to law school." They probably don't spend much time on TLS.


True, but doing better than Harvard's average has to make you feel good, right?


Yes it does, but they really deserve some credit. I know there were a lot of 170 pluses combined into that average. Harvard can really pick 'em.

Colton
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby Colton » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:23 pm

Northern Michigan University - 149 :(

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby rayiner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:32 pm

Dead Ringer wrote:
spinsta wrote:
Dead Ringer wrote:
spinsta wrote:This thread makes me feel good about my score.


Remember, the average LSAT taker doesn't do very well and probably says "fuck it I guess I am not going to law school." They probably don't spend much time on TLS.


True, but doing better than Harvard's average has to make you feel good, right?


Yes it does, but they really deserve some credit. I know there were a lot of 170 pluses combined into that average. Harvard can really pick 'em.


Picking them isn't really that hard. They just take the people with the highest SAT scores. The ordering of the schools by SAT scores is pretty much exactly the same as the ordering by LSAT score.

schween
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:00 am

Re: schools' mean LSAT

Postby schween » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:33 am

...
Last edited by schween on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests