Much difference between 176 and 179? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
armysgt

New

Much difference between 176 and 179?

Post by armysgt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Is there any truth in the reasoning that because 176 hits the 75% quartile at any school (maybe except yale??) scores 176+ hold pretty much equal weight in the admissions process?

Ok, I took the LSAT for the first time in October and got a 176. I am really, really happy with my score, and it falls right on the 75% quartile of Harvard, which is the school that I am aiming for. (Ok, I would love Yale as well but I left them out of this discussion since soft factors in much more heavily in their admissions process).

However, I am an international student (studying in a T10 UG in the US), and while nowhere on the admissions websites mention a different criteria for international students, it must affect the "holistic" decisions process somehow. With regards to LSAT scores, I see international students around me getting admitted to H only with scores significantly above the median (like 178-180). So even with my good score, I am not completely at ease...and I want to hear from people who probably know infinitely more about the admissions process than I do.

I know this all sounds incredibly douchey and I would have punched whoever said all this before my scores came out...but a man's greed knows no end... :(

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Much difference between 176 and 179?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Only if your GPA is near the GPA floor. So for you, no.

EDIT: Not many LSN data points, but your score shouldn't be a problem at Harvard:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/darkflag
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/poultry

armysgt

New

Post by armysgt » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:11 am

Okay, thanks! The profiles you provided are pretty unusual though...one already has an LLM from an MVP law school and the other person got accept to H and Y but waitlisted at Chicago and Columbia?? wonder why...

Rock4321

New

Post by Rock4321 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:09 pm

It's unlikely to make a difference. Both scores will be about the same in terms of their benefit to a law school's ranking, and both show you to have a very good aptitude for the skills the LSAT measures. Keep this in mind though: if you do decide that getting something better than a 176 would be advantageous to you, and you retake the LSAT, there's always a chance that you will under perform and get below your original score. THAT would probably look bad on your application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”