a VERY strange question... help please

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
southeastlaw
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm

a VERY strange question... help please

Postby southeastlaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:44 pm

My boyfriend and I have been dating since I was 16 and he was 18, met in high school, separarte colleges, so pretty much long-distance going on 6 years now. We are pretty much as serious as it can get, and we are both applying to law school this cycle. We would really like to go to law school together, and we both would be willing to sacrifice going to a better school if it meant being together.

One of us is a lock t-14, maybe top 5. One of us HYP 179/3.91 URM with rhodes-like softs, so I think about as much of a lock as you can be for HYS.

Have you ever heard of anything like a couple writing a joint letter to admissions committes saying somehting like "we've decided to go to law school together, so please consider our applications jointly." Is that crazy, or does it just express to the ad. com where our true priorities lie? Would it be more likely to help the t-14 lock or hurt the HYP student?
Last edited by southeastlaw on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby nickb285 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Your best case scenario if you write something like that will be that the adcomm will think it's sort of adorable, forward it to a friend, and then throw it in the trash. They will most certainly not consider your applications "jointly."

Your much more likely scenario if you write something like that will be that the adcomm will think you are utterly ridiculous and completely immature, and, while your numbers/URM status may keep you under consideration, such a letter would do serious damage to your likelihood of admission.

Don't do it. If going to school together is that important to you, apply to the same schools and attend the best school that both of you get into. Or look at schools that are relatively near each other (your definition of "relatively near" will be the sticking point here). But doing something like this makes you sound like a 15 year old who just told her first boyfriend she loved him.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby Cobretti » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:59 pm

The other one should start looking at schools within an hour or two of HYS

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:01 pm

There have been several posters that have used LOCIs about their SO/fiance/etc being admitted to try to get in off of waitlists. I do not recall it ever being effective. At best, your letter would have no effect; at worst, it would prevent the HYP partner from attending a better school.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:02 pm

nickb285 wrote:look at schools that are relatively near each other


This. There are plenty of schools in New York, Chicago, Boston and the Bay area. New Haven is about 2 hours from either New York or Boston.
One should not turn down HYS (or CCN, as indicated above) to stay near a significant other.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:03 pm

This works for 5 star football recruits deciding among undergraduate schools, but not for law schools.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby Br3v » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Go to schools close to each other, hoping on the train each once a month or so (two visits) wouldn't be that bad for while school is in session would it?

User avatar
ChikaBoom
Posts: 6483
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:16 am

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby ChikaBoom » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:08 pm

Image

Please do not do that. With those numbers, all you guys need to do is submit a nice, professional app to several of the same schools and go with the best one that you both get in to if it's that important to you.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13912
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:09 pm

The letter sounds nauseating.

Enjoy Stanford and Boalt.

(More seriously, apply to ranges of schools in NY, Boston, Bay Area and Chicago, plus HYS. See where you get in. Decide.)
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

washingtondclaw
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby washingtondclaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:09 pm

.
Last edited by washingtondclaw on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
warandpeace
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby warandpeace » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:10 pm

I beg the HYS candidate to not forego that opportunity, no matter the cost. You'll both benefit from it in the long run.

southeastlaw
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby southeastlaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 pm

yeah we've been doing the 4 hour train thing for 5+ years now -- what's most important to us is that we're together, in the same city. and who are we to shun CCN for HYS, right? "What [] snob[s]"


We'd be more than thrilled to attend CCN together.
Last edited by southeastlaw on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Br3v wrote:Go to schools close to each other, hoping on the train each once a month or so (two visits) wouldn't be that bad for while school is in session would it?

capable of living together:
Stanford -> [Berkeley], Hastings
Harvard -> BU/BC
Columbia/NYU -> Fordham (Cardozo)
Chicago -> NU

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:14 pm

southeastlaw wrote:yeah we've been doing the 4 hour train thing for 5+ years now -- what's most important to us is that we're together, in the same city. and who are we to shun CCN for HYS, right? "What [] snob[s]"


We'd be more than thrilled to attend CCN together.

Ruby?

southeastlaw
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby southeastlaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Some of those situations don't involve t14s... and as for the NY example, I think we both have a good shot at getting into CN. I do appreciate the advice on the letter, which after hearing scathing reactions we will not do. I understand that there are those who would give up several limbs for HYS, but I'm just not that person, especially when CCN/MVP stand waiting. I think many of us forget that getting into law school is only half the battle. Thanks again all!
Last edited by southeastlaw on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:18 pm

southeastlaw wrote:yeah we've been doing the 4 hour train thing for 5+ years now -- what's most important to us is that we're together, in the same city. and who are we to shun CCN for HYS, right? "What [] snob[s]"


We'd be more than thrilled to attend CCN together.

Did you really make an alt for this thread?

southeastlaw
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby southeastlaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:19 pm

alt?

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby Br3v » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:21 pm

southeastlaw wrote:Some of those situations don't involve t14s... and as for the NY example, I think we both have a good shot at getting into CN. I do appreciate the advice on the letter, which after hearing scathing reactions we will not do. I understand that there are those who would give up several limbs for HYS, but I'm just not that person, especially when CCN/MVP stand waiting. I think many of us forget that getting into law school is only half the battle. Thanks again all!


Yeah ppl saying stuff like "H and BU/BC" isn't really answering the question (sorry dingbat, I hope we are still friends lol)

OP, for real, whether its you or your SO, don't give up HYS. And the other, don't give up CCN. Best bet I think is Harvard or Yale, CCN, ride the train.

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Considering this is TLS and we are talking about two people in their early 20s who have been dating since their teens and are both future lawyers, I'm shocked nobody has suggested just breaking up.

Stanford/Cal sounds like a good combo to me.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Br3v wrote:
southeastlaw wrote:Some of those situations don't involve t14s... and as for the NY example, I think we both have a good shot at getting into CN. I do appreciate the advice on the letter, which after hearing scathing reactions we will not do. I understand that there are those who would give up several limbs for HYS, but I'm just not that person, especially when CCN/MVP stand waiting. I think many of us forget that getting into law school is only half the battle. Thanks again all!


Yeah ppl saying stuff like "H and BU/BC" isn't really answering the question (sorry dingbat, I hope we are still friends lol)

OP, for real, whether its you or your SO, don't give up HYS. And the other, don't give up CCN. Best bet I think is Harvard or Yale, CCN, ride the train.

I have a friend? WOOHOO!

I'd actually misread that part. Columbia with a ruby and the partner either there or NYU seems credited.
As is Yale and C/N, either living together with a reasonable commute or a 2 hour train ride on weekends.
Stanford-Berkeley is an excellent match
Harvard -> New York is doable (I had a friend who drove NYC-Boston every weekend for a few years)
Chicago with a hefty scholarship gives NU as an option

(am I repeating myself)?

southeastlaw
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby southeastlaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:31 pm

I just don't get it, all of you seem like you would give up an arm for HYS. I would be more than honored to attend CCN even after getting into HYS, no regrets. Anyways, I think I've got more than what I needed with this thread, so I'm out but you all may continue! Thanks again.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:33 pm

southeastlaw wrote:I just don't get it, all of you seem like you would give up an arm for HYS. I would be more than honored to attend CCN even after getting into HYS, no regrets. Anyways, I think I've got more than what I needed with this thread, so I'm out but you all may continue! Thanks again.

That's because there's a noticable difference between HYS and CCN. Just as there's a noticeable difference between T14 and everyone else

BigZuck
Posts: 10852
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:33 pm

Btw for my post above, I wasn't saying break up is TCR just that I was surprised no one else had said it because that usually happens in posts like this.

Where do you both want to work?

User avatar
warandpeace
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby warandpeace » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:34 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: a VERY strange question... help please

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:35 pm

BigZuck wrote:Btw for my post above, I wasn't saying break up is TCR just that I was surprised no one else had said it because that usually happens in posts like this.

Where do you both want to work?

That's because they'll probably realize that they only lasted this long when they're actually forced to live with and spend time together so no need to suggest breaking up now. Plus, it will be lulzier when the HYP student realizes they flushed what could have been enormous earning potential or the ability to secure dream jobs by sticking with the same snatch they've had since high school.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamcohen3, geoffreym and 9 guests