Withdraw ED app BEFORE the decision comes out? HELP

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nkime
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:49 am

Withdraw ED app BEFORE the decision comes out? HELP

Postby nkime » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:13 am

I applied to a school with ED and was waiting for the decision, but yesterday I was admitted to a different school with a decent scholarship.
I thought money was not a big issue to me because my parents agreed to pay the tuition, but now the scholarship really attracts me.
If the school I applied with ED admits me, I'll probably have no chance to get the scholarship- so I'm in the dilemma.


Here is the question:
If I withdraw the ED application right away, BEFORE the decision comes out, is it okay to enroll another school and am I free from the binding contract?

User avatar
Sheffield
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:07 am

Re: Withdraw ED app BEFORE the decision comes out? HELP

Postby Sheffield » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:33 am

My undersanding is that once you ED you have to withdraw your app to every school you applied to (explaining that you have an ED pending. . . as per your ED contract). If you are not accepted into your ED school, then it should not be a problem. Best thing is to phone the ED school and explain your situation.

senorhosh
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am

Re: Withdraw ED app BEFORE the decision comes out? HELP

Postby senorhosh » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:43 am

Sheffield wrote:My undersanding is that once you ED you have to withdraw your app to every school you applied to (explaining that you have an ED pending. . . as per your ED contract). If you are not accepted into your ED school, then it should not be a problem. Best thing is to phone the ED school and explain your situation.


No. I don't think that's it.
Well depends on the contract. OP should read his contract. But I think most schools allow you to have multiple applications even with ED, but you have to withdraw once you are accepted.
The ED contract only holds for AFTER acceptance to that school (well for the schools I've looked at).

Read your contract. I'm pretty sure you can withdraw your application or even change to RD (which might not look good).

nkime
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:49 am

Re: Withdraw ED app BEFORE the decision comes out? HELP

Postby nkime » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:48 am

senorhosh wrote:
Sheffield wrote:My undersanding is that once you ED you have to withdraw your app to every school you applied to (explaining that you have an ED pending. . . as per your ED contract). If you are not accepted into your ED school, then it should not be a problem. Best thing is to phone the ED school and explain your situation.


No. I don't think that's it.
Well depends on the contract. OP should read his contract. But I think most schools allow you to have multiple applications even with ED, but you have to withdraw once you are accepted.
The ED contract only holds for AFTER acceptance to that school (well for the schools I've looked at).

Read your contract. I'm pretty sure you can withdraw your application or even change to RD (which might not look good).


According to my contract, I can apply to other schools while waiting for the ED decision, but I'm not sure if I can withdraw my application or change it to RD. I think I have to ask to the admissions office.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Withdraw ED app BEFORE the decision comes out? HELP

Postby Tanicius » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:11 am

Uh, yes, you can absolutely withdraw your ED application. You can do that at any time and for any reason prior to their admission decision.

kckool7
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Withdraw ED app BEFORE the decision comes out? HELP

Postby kckool7 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Tanicius wrote:Uh, yes, you can absolutely withdraw your ED application. You can do that at any time and for any reason prior to their admission decision.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin and 2 guests