Merit-based $$$ Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
patienunderstanding

Bronze

Merit-based $$$

Post by patienunderstanding » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Quick question. Anyone knows about LS that are "famous" for giving a lot of $$$? I'm not talking about the top T schools, but rather about TT or TTT or TTTT? I'm just curious. Thanks :D

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Re: Merit-based $$$

Post by hichvichwoh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:54 pm

patienunderstanding wrote:Quick question. Anyone knows about LS that are "famous" for giving a lot of $$$? I'm not talking about the top T schools, but rather about TT or TTT or TTTT? I'm just curious. Thanks :D
They will all give $$$ if your numbers are good enough. They might even let you keep it if you can stay in the top 25%

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:58 pm

^TITCR. Although I hear rutgers-camden has been really generous with their offers to people who have not applied.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:10 am

hichvichwoh wrote:
patienunderstanding wrote:Quick question. Anyone knows about LS that are "famous" for giving a lot of $$$? I'm not talking about the top T schools, but rather about TT or TTT or TTTT? I'm just curious. Thanks :D
They will all give $$$ if your numbers are good enough. They might even let you keep it if you can stay in the top 25%
This. Don't forget to investigate the stipulations when you look into scholarships. However, anyone going to a TTT whose grades aren't good enough to meet the scholarship stipulation should probably drop out anyway.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 am

Below T1, most law schools are run to make a profit. Universities use some of the tuition money their law schools charge (and their students will never be able to repay) to fund other projects. The few TT and below law schools that aren't used as cash cows at least have to remain solvent.

So none of these schools have enormous amount of scholarship money to hand out every year. Usually, the most generous schools are the ones that are trying to rise in the rankings, or trying to avoid a drop -- like Rutgers-Camden last year. That tends to change from year to year, though, since none of the schools below the top of T1 can affford to lose money in the long-term.

As everyone else has already said, the more important question is which TT and below schools offer scholarship money that you will be able to keep, since most have stipulations and other tricks (like stacking sections) to make sure you get no more than one year of scholarship money.

Here's a good list of scholarship stipulations:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=189178

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:39 am

SMU gives up to around 75% scholarship, based almost entirely on your LSAT. Only stipulation is to "remain in good standing," which means better than a 2.0. Curve is about a 3.0.

patienunderstanding

Bronze

Post by patienunderstanding » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 pm

kalvano wrote:SMU gives up to around 75% scholarship, based almost entirely on your LSAT. Only stipulation is to "remain in good standing," which means better than a 2.0. Curve is about a 3.0.
Thanks. SMU= St. Mary's Univ. ?

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:54 pm

patienunderstanding wrote:
kalvano wrote:SMU gives up to around 75% scholarship, based almost entirely on your LSAT. Only stipulation is to "remain in good standing," which means better than a 2.0. Curve is about a 3.0.
Thanks. SMU= St. Mary's Univ. ?
Southern Methodist

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:56 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Below T1, mostlaw schools are run to make a profit. Universities use some of the tuition money their law schools charge (and their students will never be able to repay) to fund other projects. The few TT and below law schools that aren't used as cash cows at least have to remain solvent.

So none of these schools have enormous amount of scholarship money to hand out every year. Usually, the most generous schools are the ones that are trying to rise in the rankings, or trying to avoid a drop -- like Rutgers-Camden last year. That tends to change from year to year, though, since none of the schools below the top of T1can affford to lose money in the long-term.

As everyone else has already said, the more important question is which TT and below schools offer scholarship money that you will be able to keep, since most have stipulations and other tricks (like stacking sections) to make sure you get no more than one year of scholarship money.

Here's a good list of scholarship stipulations:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=189178
FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

northerniowan

Bronze

Post by northerniowan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Michigan State gives big scholarships to mediocre numbers and they are very transparent about what gpa and lsat scores get which scholarships. Its all posted on their website.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Look! I found the perfect school for you.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:09 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Look! I found the perfect school for you.
And hey! All you need to do is remain in the top 5% to keep them!

patienunderstanding

Bronze

Post by patienunderstanding » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:53 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Look! I found the perfect school for you.

Cooley still exists? lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”