LOR, Ethics Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

LOR, Ethics Question

Postby Favre4Prez » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:28 pm

I am fortunate enough that my father is a partner at a local firm. I feel a bit guilty because I do not like having things handed to me. He is not a founding partner so his name doesn't appear in the firm's name. For a few summers during undergrad, I worked there and really busted my ass, learned a lot, etc., and genuinely feel as if I helped some of the attorneys out. I worked in a different department than my dad. Is it unethical if the founding partner in charge of the department where I worked writes me a letter of recommendation? My other three letters are from two professors I had undergrad and a legal aid attorney I volunteered for undergrad in a position I had to interview for.

Re: LOR, Ethics Question

Postby nickb285 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 pm

As long as your dad isn't involved in the recommendation process, you're fine. The founding partner was both your direct supervisor and has no familial relation; it's perfectly acceptable to have him write a letter. Just because your father works for the same company doesn't mean it's nepotistic.

Especially considering that you have three other letters of recommendation, it's not like they'll be looking at it that closely anyway.

Re: LOR, Ethics Question

Postby soj » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:52 am

You're fine. Does the partner know you well and have nice, specific things to say about you? If not, it seems excessive.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”