Applying while holding a seat? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sco1726

New

Applying while holding a seat?

Post by sco1726 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:11 pm

I accepted a seat at a T-14 school but deferred to the fall of 2013 to work for a year. I'd like to apply to a slightly higher ranked school in the upcoming cycle, though. I know that the seat deposit form that I signed said that I wouldn't do this, but does anybody know if this is something that schools actively police for their deferred students? That is, would holding a seat at another school create problems for me in the upcoming cycle, or would I just stand to lose my seat deposit? Thanks!

Yeshia90

Silver

Re: Applying while holding a seat?

Post by Yeshia90 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:23 pm

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 pm

sco1726 wrote:I accepted a seat at a T-14 school but deferred to the fall of 2013 to work for a year. I'd like to apply to a slightly higher ranked school in the upcoming cycle, though. I know that the seat deposit form that I signed said that I wouldn't do this, but does anybody know if this is something that schools actively police for their deferred students? That is, would holding a seat at another school create problems for me in the upcoming cycle, or would I just stand to lose my seat deposit? Thanks!
Please, go ahead and free up a spot for someone else

if you get caught violating the agreement that you signed, you will not get into any law school. If somehow you get in, but this gets noticed during C&F, you might have a tough time explaining the matter (and there's a good chance you won't get admitted)

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Are you kidding me?

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:55 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:[img]picardfacepalm.jpg[/img]

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:01 am

Yeshia90 wrote:Image

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 am

sco1726 wrote:I accepted a seat at a T-14 school but deferred to the fall of 2013 to work for a year. I'd like to apply to a slightly higher ranked school in the upcoming cycle, though. I know that the seat deposit form that I signed said that I wouldn't do this, but does anybody know if this is something that schools actively police for their deferred students? That is, would holding a seat at another school create problems for me in the upcoming cycle, or would I just stand to lose my seat deposit? Thanks!
If you're caught, you will not be accepted at any respectable school. You need to fix this, yesterday, if you can.

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Hello sco1726,
Unfortunately you made a binding agreement with the school that you WOULD not start applying other places.

IF for some reason you have decided that you do not want to go to that school / would like to apply other places you can attempt to try to explain your situation to XXXX school and ask if you can get out of this agreement BEFORE you apply anywhere. Who knows, they might be understanding, but they might not be.

You cannot continue to "hold unto a seat" as a backup plan in-case your other applications don't work out. It won't end well.

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”