Applying ED several times consecutively? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laura2011

New

Applying ED several times consecutively?

Post by laura2011 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some confirmation that I understood Early Decision rules right or else some correction of my understanding:

I read that some ED schools promise to give a reply within a few weeks. Say I apply ED at one of those schools in early September and get a rejection by late September, shouldn't that mean I can apply ED to another school in early October? In other words, as long as I am denied and do them consecutively, I can actually apply ED to several schools in one cycle?

Would be grateful for thoughts on this! Thanks!

SnapSnapSnap

New

Re: Applying ED several times consecutively?

Post by SnapSnapSnap » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:49 pm

If you get rejected or WL'd, you're no longer bound to that school's ED. Good luck!

laura2011

New

Post by laura2011 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 pm

great, thanks. same to you!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 pm

SnapSnapSnap wrote:If you get rejected or WL'd, you're no longer bound to that school's ED. Good luck!
Not always. Read the ED contract before you try this. I know for a fact that Northwestern had worded theirs in such a way last year that this was not possible.

laura2011

New

Post by laura2011 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:34 am

ok, good to know. thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geoffrey

New

Post by Geoffrey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 am

Some schools will allow it, but LSAC won't recognize the validity of any ED contract after your first of the cycle (so you can get out of the agreement without a misconduct ruling) - probably why some schools don't allow it

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Geoffrey wrote:Some schools will allow it, but LSAC won't recognize the validity of any ED contract after your first of the cycle (so you can get out of the agreement without a misconduct ruling) - probably why some schools don't allow it
what? source?

Geoffrey

New

Post by Geoffrey » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:22 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:Some schools will allow it, but LSAC won't recognize the validity of any ED contract after your first of the cycle (so you can get out of the agreement without a misconduct ruling) - probably why some schools don't allow it
what? source?
Sorry, I was a little off. ED agreements that are made after the initial point of application violate the LSAC's Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practice. So if one ED app falls through, and you then switch an existing app to ED, the LSAC will not hold you to the agreement.

Other schools might think you're sleazy if they find out about it, and the school you're leaving might try to bully you, but they won't take it to the LSAC for misconduct because they know they aren't following the approved ED format.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:38 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:
what? source?
Sorry, I was a little off. ED agreements that are made after the initial point of application violate the LSAC's Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practice. So if one ED app falls through, and you then switch an existing app to ED, the LSAC will not hold you to the agreement.

Other schools might think you're sleazy if they find out about it, and the school you're leaving might try to bully you, but they won't take it to the LSAC for misconduct because they know they aren't following the approved ED format.
Ah ok, thanks for clarifying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”