What do people lie about on LS applications?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
katesearches

What do people lie about on LS applications?

Postby katesearches » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:24 am

I recently read a blog article on why people should not lie on LS applications. This strikes me as obvious (for obvious reasons), but then I wondered, what people actually try to get away with in lying on LS applications?

I knew someone who was applying to med school - on her personal statement, she wrote how she was inspired by her uncle who was a doctor volunteering in a developing country (she made that up lol...), but other than that, it is beyond my imagination what people would #1 lie about and #2 think they could get away with? I would imagine it would have to be significant? since softs are just that - softs.

So what things have you overheard? Any stories?

ben4847

Re: What do people lie about on LS applications?

Postby ben4847 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:43 am

Some people say they want to be a lawyer to help people. lol

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:31 am

Your school is my top choice.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:35 am

katesearches wrote:I recently read a blog article on why people should not lie on LS applications. This strikes me as obvious (for obvious reasons), but then I wondered, what people actually try to get away with in lying on LS applications?

I knew someone who was applying to med school - on her personal statement, she wrote how she was inspired by her uncle who was a doctor volunteering in a developing country (she made that up lol...), but other than that, it is beyond my imagination what people would #1 lie about and #2 think they could get away with? I would imagine it would have to be significant? since softs are just that - softs.

So what things have you overheard? Any stories?

the ones I have heard about is people exaggerating about either their study abroad experiences or their volunteer work overseas.

You weren't an integrative part of saving an entire African village from drought and starvation.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:23 am

cinephile wrote:Your school is my top choice.

This or similar in the "why x" essay or portion of PS.

Postby 2014 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:20 pm

I imagine the majority of GPA addenda that claim anything other than "I was lazy and had my priorities messed up" are mostly lies.

tc22

Postby tc22 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Trying to claim URM status when you aren't is probably the biggest (and most harmful) thing I could think of. Or maybe not disclosing criminal/school disciplinary issues.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:52 pm

ben4847 wrote:Some people say they want to be a lawyer to help people. lol

^

freedomofchat

Postby freedomofchat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:09 pm

many people (regardless of career path) lie on their resume.. either creating fake jobs or stretching the truth about a job/internship they actually had... i would guess that many LS resumes contain lies of some sort

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:29 pm

People lie about how long they worked at a job. They will stretch it out a few months to give them stability.

May '10 to May '11 becomes Mar '10 to July '11

If the job was also awhile back its easier to lie. I worked at hollywood video right out of high school. Someone could say anything about their time there. How would they know? that place has been out of business for years. All of a sudden they were an asst manager instead of a csr etc etc

jas1503

Postby jas1503 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:21 pm

I can imagine someone seriously saying, "I will be one of the best students (top10%) in your law school"

vulpixie

Postby vulpixie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:25 pm

mewalke1 wrote:People lie about how long they worked at a job.

This. Also how long they were members of a club, and their position in that club, that sort of thing. I think outright making up a job/EC is much less common.

andreasmommy

Postby andreasmommy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:40 pm

I know people lie on their resume and CV because this girl I went to college with posted she was president of SAC club. I laughed so hard. I was president of that club, and I was also the founder.

People like that may get caught. And she will get caught if she applies to the same law schools as me because two of my letters of recs. talk about all the clubs I was president of.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”