College Honors or Minor?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

College Honors or Math Minor?

College Honors, Departmental Honors in Econ or Poli Sci
58%
Math Minor, Departmental Honors in Econ or Poli Sci
42%

Total votes: 12

Kimikho

College Honors or Minor?

Postby Kimikho » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Last edited by Kimikho on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

purplegreen

Re: College Honors or Minor?

Postby purplegreen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Admissions officers won't care. I can't imagine it would ever make a difference in hiring, either. Just make sure to maximize your GPA.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Sonds like a toss up. I would go with the math minor.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Go with whichever boosts your GPA the most. College/Departmental honors is irrelevant.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:25 pm

Go with the math minor because it might actually help you get a non-law job. No one is going to care about college honors.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Last edited by Kimikho on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:52 pm

scoobers wrote:Currently, I am in my public university's honors program.

Right now, I'm currently on track to graduate with a BA in Poli Sci, and a BS in Econ, with departmental honors in one of these, and college honors overall. I would like to add a minor in math; with econ, I'm only six credits away, and I like math. But if I add a math minor, those six credits mean that I can't get college honors, only departmental. If that sounds stupid, it is, but basically to finish out my honors core I need 15 "honors" science credits...in addition to the 50 I will graduate with already. I can't do both; I'm already on the five-year plan and am taking summer courses.

The ONLY difference between the two is that if I finish the honors core, my diploma says "With College Honors in Economics" (or Political Science). If I don't and only to departmental, then it will say "With Departmental Honors in Economics." Note that both of these require departmental honors, but the college honors requires completing the honors core. I am not sure about the difference on transcripts; I've asked around but got vague answers. Currently, though, nothing beyond honors classes indicates on my transcript that I am on track to graduate with college honors.

I can't imagine that admissions officers would care about college vs. departmental honors, but then again, there's a lot of stuff admissions officers do that I can't imagine.

I ran a search and didn't find anything on this, but if I was just being blind then just post the link and I'll read it myself.

Thanks!

GPA plus LSAT bro. All else is irrelevant.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:31 am

Do what makes you happy. If you like telling people and yourself that you minored in math, then do that. If you like to tell people and yourself that you got college honors, do that. But like what previous posters have stated, all that matters at the end of the day is your GPA if you want to go into law school. Honestly, the only "honors" that truly matters is Latin honors (and that goes back to what your gpa is).

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:18 am

purplegreen wrote:Just make sure to maximize your GPA.

Doorkeeper wrote:Go with whichever boosts your GPA the most. College/Departmental honors is irrelevant.

AreJay711 wrote:No one is going to care about college honors.

Helicio wrote:GPA plus LSAT bro. All else is irrelevant.

boblawlob wrote:all that matters at the end of the day is your GPA if you want to go into law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”