changing jobs mid application process

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

changing jobs mid application process

Postby gellisc » Thu May 24, 2012 1:58 pm

Ok, so here is my dilema in a nutshell: I currently work in healthcare and want to get back to what my degree is in (International Studies and Econ.) and what I initially wanted to pursue right out of college (ca. 2004): international business law. I'm taking the LSAT in Oct. with hopes of enrolling fall '13. Between now and classes starting, I want to make as much money as I can WHILE not being miserable at work and without the perpetual daydream of me slapping the crap out of my boss. HOWEVER, a close friend of mine who just finished his 1st year at a school in DC has advised me NOT to switch careers/jobs during this interim time period. Perhaps the stress of a new job (in his mind) would detract me from my self studying, but bottom line he said to just ride it out. So, I'm asking all of you, that may have been in a similar situation or who may have credible insights into the pros/cons of this dilema, does switching careers (granted, the switch would be towards a field more closely related to my educational background and future career goals) reflect negatively on me as an applicant in such a way that it would make me a less competitive candidate.
Disclaimer: I'm a minority; undergrad gpa was not stellar; and I MUST be a beast on the LSAT; and I have no clue if the above information would make any difference in the advice.

Re: changing jobs mid application process

Postby dingbat » Fri May 25, 2012 9:24 pm

As you're set on going to LS next summer, you may as well stick it out
I would not start a new job while studying for the LSAT (after is fine though)

Re: changing jobs mid application process

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:18 pm

I switched from a job that required 70+ hours a week (often much more) to become a legal assistant (9-5 on most days) because I wanted time to study for the LSAT. I didn't find any problems with the transition. FWIW, I also slightly out-performed my law school admissions cycle, imo, so it couldn't have hurt that bad.

If you think you'll be distracted, then don't switch jobs. My transition made everything a lot less stressful for me and I'm sure it helped with my LSAT studying.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”