Advice needed Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
View10

New

Advice needed

Post by View10 » Sun May 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Undergrad GPA: 3.65
LSAT: 142
Current Student Loan Debt: $40k (approx.)

I recently graduated, however, I scored very low on the LSAT. I lost my job literally the day before the test and found my self unable to concentrate during the exam; I kept running out of time on the various sections and I must have guessed on half of the questions. Additionally, for whatever reasons, the chairs we were made to sit in were those table/chair combinations where the chair and desk are one yet the size of those you might see in elementary school. I am not the smallest of persons and was literally in pain throughout the test because of the poor seating.

Despite my low LSAT score I was recently accepted in Appalachian School of Law. I know the school isn't looked at as a great school so more or less my concern is whether I should go ahead and begin law school or sit out a year, retake the LSAT, and attempt to get accepted into a better school? I have no doubt that I could do much much better on the LSAT if I had the chance to do so. During practice tests I constantly scored within the 155-160 range. Additionally, I would prefer to attend UT Law in Knoxville where I have lived before and know I would be happy at. However, because I am older than a traditional law student, I wonder about taking the additional time for a chance at another school.

In summary, Appalachian School of Law will cause me to go twice as much in debt if I attend for a total debt amount of nearly $170-$200k interest and all; however, I am already accepted and I can begin without wasting time. If I wait and retake the LSAT, I feel confident I would do better but it would still be a gamble of being accepted into another school. If I did attend another school though my total debt load would be around $100k total. I am not too concerned with Biglaw; I would like to eventually practice in Knoxville so even though ASL isn't a highly rated school, it probably would not hurt me other than the debt load.

I would like suggestions and advice. Please keep in mind my age and debt load along with LSAT scores and etc. Thank you each for your time before hand.

rabbitrun

Bronze

Re: Advice needed

Post by rabbitrun » Sun May 20, 2012 6:29 pm

I would work for a year and retake. You could pay off some of your loans and save some for law school. With a higher score, you can get $$ from a better law school. Especially since you have a very clear reason for scoring low, I think you should definitely retake. Without a doubt, you could get into a better school even on your low end (155). I think you should practice more and try to get a 165 and then get scholly money. I would also consider how likely you are to find a job that will pay off your student debt. Take a look at this:
--LinkRemoved--
It doesn't have Appalachian's score and I would not take that as a good sign.

View10

New

Post by View10 » Sun May 20, 2012 6:39 pm

rabbitrun wrote:I would also consider how likely you are to find a job that will pay off your student debt.
From the research I have done, it appears that ASL has an employment rate of 66%, which is common right now; however, the reported salaries average only $47k.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:01 pm

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM APPALACHIAN.

This is a school SO BAD that they don't even release the weak, misleading employment data that other crappy schools report. In 2009, which was before the economic meltdown had really hit law grads, they couldn't even claim to have 50% employment. --LinkRemoved--

This is a school so terrible that they INDIVIDUALLY LIST the people with halfway decent jobs who've graduated since 2003. The list has SEVEN names on it.
http://www.asl.edu/The-Program/Outcomes ... reers.html

This is a school so pathetic that one NALP firm reports doing OCI there.

This is a school so worthless that they're actually proud that they can claim that they've had grads go on to study at Tulane, Missouri and John Marshall. A T2 and two TTTs.

Appalachian wouldn't be worth attending even with a full scholarship and cost-of-living stipend. It is, simply, a worthless piece of shit school that will ruin you financially.

It's too late to register for June, but there's not enough time to study anyway. Take the October LSAT and reapply next year.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

During practice tests I constantly scored within the 155-160 range
You scored over 10 points below your PT range.... Obviously you should retake. Retake, score 160, and go to a TTT with a full scholly or UT-K.

Not retaking and going to App State would be a terrible financial decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun May 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Your current LSAT score is meaningless in light of the circumstances under which you took the test.

Do not go to Appalachain.

Enroll in a prep course for the LSAT.
Retake the LSAT.
Enjoy your new LSAT score in the 158-164 range while attending UT-Knoxville.

P.S. Do not pay to attend Appalachain.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun May 20, 2012 7:18 pm

View10 wrote:From the research I have done, it appears that ASL has an employment rate of 66%, which is common right now; .
No bro, they dont.

--LinkRemoved--

9 months after graduating, less than 40% find full time work.

On top of that,
LST wrote:Appalachian School of Law Withholds:
•How many of its graduates are in full-time jobs
•How many of its graduates are in full-time legal jobs
When its graduates obtained their job offers
•How its graduates obtained jobs
You dont want to go to a school that wont even tell you how many of that 40%, who are employed, actually have jobs requiring a JD. Its no where near the entire 40%
Last edited by Nova on Sun May 20, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

View10

New

Post by View10 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:42 pm

Nova wrote:
View10 wrote:From the research I have done, it appears that ASL has an employment rate of 66%, which is common right now; .
No bro, they dont.

--LinkRemoved--

9 months after graduating, less than 40% find full time work.
I was unaware of that information. Perhaps the statistics I came across are from a few years back.

Map Cat

New

Post by Map Cat » Mon May 21, 2012 9:34 am

rabbitrun wrote:I would work for a year and retake. You could pay off some of your loans and save some for law school. With a higher score, you can get $$ from a better law school. Especially since you have a very clear reason for scoring low, I think you should definitely retake. Without a doubt, you could get into a better school even on your low end (155). I think you should practice more and try to get a 165 and then get scholly money. I would also consider how likely you are to find a job that will pay off your student debt. Take a look at this:
--LinkRemoved--
It doesn't have Appalachian's score and I would not take that as a good sign.
TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DCDuck

Bronze

Post by DCDuck » Mon May 21, 2012 10:06 am

Wait and retake! You already know this, I bet. You know you underperformed. Also, do you have any idea how much $170,000-200,000 debt is? It is seriously a LOT of debt, and interest rates are not low. Play around with a debt repayment calculator. You need to minimize your debt, especially because you will be older when/if you graduate.

Get your score up and try to go to a place that gives you some money. Good luck!

FDRSnowball

New

Post by FDRSnowball » Mon May 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Nova wrote:
During practice tests I constantly scored within the 155-160 range
You scored over 10 points below your PT range.... Obviously you should retake. Retake, score 160, and go to a TTT with a full scholly or UT-K.

Not retaking and going to App State would be a terrible financial decision.
Just for the record Appalachian State is different from Appalachian School of Law. App State is in NC and is good at beating UMich in football. Appalachian law is in VA and is not good at getting its graduates jobs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”