Can I cancel my deferral and reapply in the fall?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Can I cancel my deferral and reapply in the fall?

Postby sums » Wed May 02, 2012 1:28 am

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes.
About 1.5-2 months ago I deferred at a t14 which was my top choice at the time and I was thrilled. Some circumstances have changed since then though, mainly my husband changing career paths and deciding to no longer continue pursuing medical school. He'll be attending another graduate school instead. The problem is that he'll be attending in a different city than I committed to, a city which happens to contain another t14. I would prefer to be near him obviously and would ED the t14 in the city with him next cycle if I could withdraw my deferral offer now and still reapply to other schools in the fall. The deferral was binding, however I never signed any contracts or paid any deposits. I never even explicitly said that I accepted (I only responded to my approved deferral by asking when I would need to pay the deposit). I know it might not be the best choice to end my deferral to take a shot at reapplying, but to be honest this isn't about going to a "better" school or having "better" options; I just want to be with my SO. I've heard that after withdrawing a deferral you can't attend ANY law school for that year, and I've also heard after withdrawing that basically you just won't be re-accepted to the law school you "stood up".
So long story short, can I cancel my deferral now and reapply ED to another school in the fall without any (severe) negative consequences?

Re: Can I cancel my deferral and reapply in the fall?

Postby Wart » Wed May 02, 2012 1:43 am

1. Are you sure the deferral was binding? If not, I'd apply to the other schools and then just withdraw once you get into the school you want. Pretty common practice.
2. Schools are generally pretty cool when your reason is family related. I'd be surprised if they didn't let you off, no questions asked. Ask them.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed May 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Wart wrote:Ask them.

No matter what ends up happening, the situation will turn out better and go more smoothly if you just talk with the school than if you don't. Be polite, explain your situation, and see what the school has to say.

Postby MrSparkle » Fri May 04, 2012 7:27 am

Honestly I think it'll be OK if you talk to them, someone else will be willing to give them a quarter-million dollars.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”