OK I'm listening Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Do I tell my school I'll be taking June?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 15

sportaddict144

New

OK I'm listening

Post by sportaddict144 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 am

Talked to a bunch of people and everyone is on board with me taking June and sitting out a cycle. The question now... Should I tell W&L that I'm taking June or will they not like that? I was thinking about telling them that I am taking it to increase my scholarship prospects. I'm worried that if I don't improve my score they will rescind my offer or my scholarship. Is that possible? Thanks again for all the advice!

sportaddict144

New

Re: OK I'm listening

Post by sportaddict144 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:26 pm

If yes, should I tell them I'm trying to increase my scholarship prospects or that I'm considering sitting the cycle out? If I'm honest with them, can they rescind my offer?

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:32 pm

I think it would be a bad idea. At the bottom of each LSAT you sign (and I don't have the exact language on me) a statement saying that you are only taking the LSAT for sake of applying to law school. If you communicate or put in writing that you're explicitly taking it for the purpose of increasing scholarship, W&L will probably not negotiate with you regardless of how well you do. However, if, after you take the LSAT, you get a much higher score, you can try, because then you can technically claim that you were originally planning on re-applying. Not sure though. I def wouldn't tell them it's explicitly for schoalrship purposes.

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:36 pm

tennisking88 wrote:I think it would be a bad idea. At the bottom of each LSAT you sign (and I don't have the exact language on me) a statement saying that you are only taking the LSAT for sake of applying to law school. If you communicate or put in writing that you're explicitly taking it for the purpose of increasing scholarship, W&L will probably not negotiate with you regardless of how well you do. However, if, after you take the LSAT, you get a much higher score, you can try, because then you can technically claim that you were originally planning on re-applying. Not sure though. I def wouldn't tell them it's explicitly for schoalrship purposes.
No idea on this, but I'd say part of gaining admission to law school is securing adequate funding. Not sure why retaking before or after applying is any different since it is part of the same process. Are there any known cases where law schools have called people on this?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:40 pm

The only purpose of the provision is to prevent people from taking the LSAT and memorizing the content to take back to prep companies. So they'd never enforce it against you unless you do that.

I think it's fine to tell them. Maybe they'll up your scholarship. And even if they don't, they won't rescind your offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:48 pm

cinephile wrote: I think it's fine to tell them. Maybe they'll up your scholarship. And even if they don't, they won't rescind your offer.
Yes.

OP, you could just ask them how they feel about it. I almost did that with a school last cycle and the admissions office was chill with it.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:51 pm

tennisking88 wrote:I think it would be a bad idea. At the bottom of each LSAT you sign (and I don't have the exact language on me) a statement saying that you are only taking the LSAT for sake of applying to law school. If you communicate or put in writing that you're explicitly taking it for the purpose of increasing scholarship, W&L will probably not negotiate with you regardless of how well you do. However, if, after you take the LSAT, you get a much higher score, you can try, because then you can technically claim that you were originally planning on re-applying. Not sure though. I def wouldn't tell them it's explicitly for schoalrship purposes.
this is wrong.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Ignore this entire post. There's no problem with retaking for improved scholly offers.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Why bother telling W&L if you're already in? If you go up, you can ask for more money. If they say no, then you can say that you will reapply next cycle because it's that important to you (it sounds like you were already on board with sitting out, right?). Depending on your increase, you should have a good idea as to whether W&L is a good decision.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:42 pm

EMZE wrote:Why bother telling W&L if you're already in?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”