Deferral Contracts

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
boosk

Deferral Contracts

Postby boosk » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:00 pm

So my deferral request at NYU was accepted. However, I am still waiting to hear back from HYSC. I would put down the $600 deposit and wait out the other schools if I had to, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to. The wording in the contract is "I have declined all offers of admission and have withdrawn applications to other law schools... I understand that misrepresentation may be the basis for cancellation of my deferral status".

I came across this blog post from the Yale admissions dean yesterday:

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx

Basically it states that you are able to deposit at a school and wait out any other schools that have not given you a decision (hold/waitlist). But I'm not sure if this same logic applies to deferred/deferring applicants.

any ideas?

Thanks

freaknroll

Re: Deferral Contracts

Postby freaknroll » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:08 pm

I will never understand why people don't just call up the school and ask them...

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:13 pm

freaknroll wrote:I will never understand why people don't just call up the school and ask them...

i dont think OP wants to know if NYU will say ok; the surely will not. i think OP wants to know the chances of getting caught breaking the contract.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:34 pm

boosk wrote:So my deferral request at NYU was accepted. However, I am still waiting to hear back from HYSC. I would put down the $600 deposit and wait out the other schools if I had to, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to. The wording in the contract is "I have declined all offers of admission and have withdrawn applications to other law schools... I understand that misrepresentation may be the basis for cancellation of my deferral status".

Basically it states that you are able to deposit at a school and wait out any other schools that have not given you a decision (hold/waitlist). But I'm not sure if this same logic applies to deferred/deferring applicants.

any ideas?

Thanks

90% sure deferrals are different. You're promising not to go to another law school in either this or the next cycle.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:38 pm

boosk wrote:So my deferral request at NYU was accepted. However, I am still waiting to hear back from HYSC. I would put down the $600 deposit and wait out the other schools if I had to, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to. The wording in the contract is "I have declined all offers of admission and have withdrawn applications to other law schools... I understand that misrepresentation may be the basis for cancellation of my deferral status".

any ideas?

Thanks

My idea is that the contract you signed said you withdrew applications from other schools. You didn't do that as you are waiting out your wait lists. So you are in breach.

I'm not sure what the punishment is for this breach of contract - if you get accepted to another school that you would rather go to - is the only penalty a cancellation of your waitlist? I'm not sure what NYU will do to you, can they screw up your admission to another school if you do get in off a wait list? They will definitely find out.

I know there was a guy who ED'd to a school but stayed on waitlists at other schools. He got accepted to another school. Because he breached his commitment to go to his ED school, He lost both acceptances and got blacklisted. I think he ended up at a TTT school instead of T6, but not sure.

I haven't heard of this applying to deferrals, but it could.

Why did you decide to defer NYU? Are you doing something next year?

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:45 pm

sunynp wrote:
My idea is that the contract you signed said you withdrew applications from other schools. You didn't do that as you are waiting out your wait lists. So you are in breach.

I'm not sure what the punishment is for this breach of contract - if you get accepted to another school that you would rather go to - is the only penalty a cancellation of your waitlist? I'm not sure what NYU will do to you, can they screw up your admission to another school if you do get in off a wait list? They will definitely find out.

I know there was a guy who ED'd to a school but stayed on waitlists at other schools. He got accepted to another school. Because he breached his commitment to go to his ED school, He lost both acceptances and got blacklisted. I think he ended up at a TTT school instead of T6, but not sure.

I haven't heard of this applying to deferrals, but it could.

Why did you decide to defer NYU? Are you doing something next year?

Pretty sure he hasn't signed anything yet. He's asking if he was to withdraw from the other places if he does sign.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:37 pm

sunynp wrote:

i am skeptical. links/info on this?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:56 pm

englawyer wrote:
sunynp wrote:

I dunno it was posted on the forum a while ago. I am not sure what to search for though.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:02 pm

any ideas?

Thanks

Your situation is a little different than the situation the Yale dean is addressing; NYU is offering you special treatment in that they aren't only offering you admission, but offering to hold a spot for you next year. While there could be a spirited debate on the merits of the ultimatum, the bottom line is that I don't think LSAC's rule reaches your situation. My advice is either accept and withdraw all your other apps, or don't take the deferral and reapply next year.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:24 pm

englawyer wrote:
sunynp wrote:

Here is the guy I was thinking of: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/daninreallife/jd

He ended up at Pepperdine, even though he got admitted to Columbia. He had ED to Columbia and got accepted but didn't withdraw from other applications. He decided to wait our other top schools. You can search for more info on the forums, some people think he is a flame, but if you go back through the history, and read between the lines it seems real.

Yes, I ended up getting rejected at those schools because of my ED app. Two of them originally offered me admission and retracted their offers as soon as they found out. Who knows what the other schools will do. I am no longer a candidate for admission at Columbia so I figure it shouldn't matter for the remaining schools. They could use my numbers. But you never know. Lesson learned.

boosk

Postby boosk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:42 pm

sunynp wrote:Why did you decide to defer NYU? Are you doing something next year?

I committed to stay in a position for 1.5-2 years before I had heard back from any schools.

Elston Gunn wrote:Pretty sure he hasn't signed anything yet. He's asking if he has to withdraw from the other places if he does sign.

This is correct

Renzo wrote:Your situation is a little different than the situation the Yale dean is addressing; NYU is offering you special treatment in that they aren't only offering you admission, but offering to hold a spot for you next year. While there could be a spirited debate on the merits of the ultimatum, the bottom line is that I don't think LSAC's rule reaches your situation. My advice is either accept and withdraw all your other apps, or don't take the deferral and reapply next year.

Thanks, this is the only real answer in this thread (and what my suspicions were) - lol

boosk

Postby boosk » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:58 pm

I think this is the relevant LSAC policy:

After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every
accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from
a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted,
a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made
to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced
choice among various law schools, no excessive
nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain
a place in the class. Beginning on May 15 of each year, law
schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service
will be provided with information concerning all enrollment
commitments to any law school made by those applicants
who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school’s
entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its
policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission

However, the wording of the deferral contract only indicates that my "deferral status" could be canceled if I remain on a waitlist or on hold somewhere else...

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:19 pm

boosk wrote:I think this is the relevant LSAC policy:

After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every
accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from
a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted,
a deposit has been paid, or a committment has been made
to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced
choice among various law schools, no excessive
nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain
a place in the class. Beginning on May 15 of each year, law
schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service
will be provided with information concerning all enrollment
commitments to any law school made by those applicants
who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school’s
entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its
policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission

However, the wording of the deferral contract only indicates that my "deferral status" could be canceled if I remain on a waitlist or on hold somewhere else...

Yeah, as I read this, NYU would be breaking the rules if it threatened to withdraw your acceptance for this year, but they aren't; they're only threatening to take away the deferral they offered.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”