How Detrimental is it to apply in February?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hamsamitchguy03

How Detrimental is it to apply in February?

Postby hamsamitchguy03 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Does applying at the deadline or a few weeks before affect your chances?

If so by how much?

rinkrat19

Re: How Detrimental is it to apply in February?

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:36 pm

It DRASTICALLY reduces your chances. Some schools have been admitting people since before Christmas. Classes are filling up. You're competing for a much smaller number of open spots. You're very likely to get waitlisted at schools that would have accepted you, and rejected at schools that would have waitlisted you.

cloudhidden

Postby cloudhidden » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:52 pm

I got a fee waiver for a big reach, T-14 school that just sent me an e-mail wondering why I haven't applied. I am not a URM, so are my chances next to zero? Are they trying to increase their selectivity ranking at this point?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:53 pm

cloudhidden wrote:I got a fee waiver for a big reach, T-14 school that just sent me an e-mail wondering why I haven't applied. I am not a URM, so are my chances next to zero? Are they trying to increase their selectivity ranking at this point?
Yeah, probably.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:31 pm

It's hard to say, but I don't see why you wouldn't give it a shot just because you're late in the game, especially with a fee waiver.

Lil Kev

Postby Lil Kev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:41 pm

You might as well wait until the next cycle. Makes no sense to apply this late. I mean, go for it and aim high, but if you get shut out from schools you should be able to get into, well... That'll speak for itself.

d.schoenfeld16

Postby d.schoenfeld16 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Lil Kev wrote:You might as well wait until the next cycle. Makes no sense to apply this late. I mean, go for it and aim high, but if you get shut out from schools you should be able to get into, well... That'll speak for itself.

I love how everyone on this site automatically just says, "wait for next cycle."

Lil Kev

Postby Lil Kev » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 pm

d.schoenfeld16 wrote:
Lil Kev wrote:You might as well wait until the next cycle. Makes no sense to apply this late. I mean, go for it and aim high, but if you get shut out from schools you should be able to get into, well... That'll speak for itself.

I love how everyone on this site automatically just says, "wait for next cycle."

Well, why the fuck would you wait until February and expect to get everything you want? Go get a job for a few months, make some cash, and enjoy life before law school begins to suck what little soul you have left out from the pores of your body.

piscola

Postby piscola » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Lil Kev wrote:
d.schoenfeld16 wrote:

Well, why the fuck would you wait until February and expect to get everything you want? Go get a job for a few months, make some cash, and enjoy life before law school begins to suck what little soul you have left out from the pores of your body.

Waiting another year is the conventional wisdom of this site, but it's overstated. What sort of job should someone get? Are they going to enjoy it? Is it going to contribute at all to their future?

Sometimes it can be great advice, especially if waiting will make the difference between T25 vs T10. But T14 vs T6? Maybe a chance at more merit scholarship? IMO, not usually worth it. Doing something you actually want to do a year earlier, getting experience, and likely getting paid well to do it makes a lot more sense than spinning your wheels for the marginal extra prestige.

*ducks head as tomatoes fly*

FinallyGoing

Postby FinallyGoing » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:48 pm

LSN has some useful information on this subject.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:34 pm

piscola wrote:Waiting another year is the conventional wisdom of this site, but it's overstated. What sort of job should someone get? Are they going to enjoy it? Is it going to contribute at all to their future?

Sometimes it can be great advice, especially if waiting will make the difference between T25 vs T10. But T14 vs T6? Maybe a chance at more merit scholarship? IMO, not usually worth it. Doing something you actually want to do a year earlier, getting experience, and likely getting paid well to do it makes a lot more sense than spinning your wheels for the marginal extra prestige.

I'm not sure I've seen a single thread on TLS where the advice was to wait a full year for a tiny increase in prestige. People are encouraged to wait all the time, but almost always for very good reasons.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 pm

It usually also includes the advice of "retake" :mrgreen:

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:48 pm

There's no harm in applying I suppose, but just don't sell yourself short. If you are surrounded by green dots on LSN for a particular school and you get rejected, it's probably a good sign that you should wait until next cycle.

Of even bigger concern is how much the scholarship funds at many schools have dried up. An application that is sent in September may earn 20K a year, whereas the same application being sent in late February may end up at sticker price. That's just not worth it if the only benefit is to start school a year earlier.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:53 pm

piscola wrote:
Lil Kev wrote:
d.schoenfeld16 wrote:

Waiting another year is the conventional wisdom of this site, but it's overstated. What sort of job should someone get? Are they going to enjoy it? Is it going to contribute at all to their future?

Nice necro.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Lil Kev wrote:
d.schoenfeld16 wrote:

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:19 pm

One's odds at February vs. Sept. can be very different. One's job prospect can vary dramatically only between a few schools. I don't think I would've gotten into my current law school had I applied February as opposed to Sept 15, and I'm really happy I'm here.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:It DRASTICALLY reduces your chances. Some schools have been admitting people since before Christmas. Classes are filling up. You're competing for a much smaller number of open spots. You're very likely to get waitlisted at schools that would have accepted you, and rejected at schools that would have waitlisted you.

I think it really depends on the school. E.g. Yale claims that applying at deadline doesn't disadvantage you.
Also, how come schools will take ppl from the waitlist and give big scholarship money after a June LSAT increase (e.g. Mich) if scholly funds are dried up? I think that applying late probably has the potential to hurt you if you are a borderline candidate, but beyond that I'm skeptical of these general claims. I'd be curious to see a graph of pre-Dec. LSAT scores/GPAs/scholarship money awarded for each school compared to the same stats for people that applied the final week before deadline...

ucbkenn

Postby ucbkenn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Drastic. Don't do it. You could get into a way better school if you wait and apply next cycle.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:01 pm

ucbkenn wrote:Drastic. Don't do it. You could get into a way better school if you wait and apply next cycle.

So you are saying that I shouldn't bother applying to Yale in the next week

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Geneva wrote:
ucbkenn wrote:Drastic. Don't do it. You could get into a way better school if you wait and apply next cycle.

So you are saying that I shouldn't bother applying to Yale in the next week

Sure, go ahead.

But 170/3.7 is borderline at top schools, so outside of Yale, an earlier application date def. would've been preferable.

boosk

Postby boosk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:00 am

Now that Yale has extended the deadline, is it still true that a late FEB app there will be viewed the same as those submitted in OCT? They've already admitted some ppl...

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:21 am

Also, would Yale mind if I have a rec letter sent straight to them? I'm worried that the letter my prof is sending out today won't make it by deadline via lsac service...

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:49 pm

boosk wrote:Now that Yale has extended the deadline, is it still true that a late FEB app there will be viewed the same as those submitted in OCT? They've already admitted some ppl...

So with their review system, if you go to professor review, you need a total of I think 11 or 12 out of 12 (each prof rates you on a scale of 1-4). If you get a 10 I think they push you to the end of the cycle and decide then. Most waitlisted people were probably 10s. So in that sense, it doesn't matter when you apply since a 12 in February is the same as a 12 in October and if you got a 10 in October they'd push deciding on you till later anyway.

Geneva

Postby Geneva » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:55 pm

So far, applying in Jan/Feb doesn't seem to have had an impact on my cycle. We'll see what happens with my app to Harvard (not holding my breath), but in at several T14 schools with my super late apps. Just saying.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Geneva wrote:So far, applying in Jan/Feb doesn't seem to have had an impact on my cycle. We'll see what happens with my app to Harvard (not holding my breath), but in at several T14 schools with my super late apps. Just saying.

No worries, you wouldn't have gotten in to Harvard anyway.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”