Super Splitter Application Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hotsauce64

Super Splitter Application Advice

Postby hotsauce64 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 pm

2.81 GPA, 175 LSAT.

After some debate I have decided to apply to the University of Houston and hope for a full ride. I have been led to believe that a full ride is not only possible but probable with my numbers at a school in this range. Can anybody add any personal insight/advice on this?

Is an addendum even necessary? I don't have a good excuse for my GPA.

Is there any upside to applying to other schools that I more than likely would not attend? For example, I don't want to leave the state of Texas, but would applying to more highly ranked schools increase my chances of scholarship money from U of H, or benefit me in any other way?

Does the late timing of my application warrant any special considerations on my end that normally wouldn't matter? I am hesitant to send in my application before ensuring that some small factor will not have a substantial effect on my scholarship chances.

I have been scrambling around constantly since December LSAT scores were released and am excited to finally be on the home stretch.

Thanks in advance for any help, I really do appreciate it.

citykitty

Re: Super Splitter Application Advice

Postby citykitty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Get a full time job. Wait a year or so. Apply to NU. You'll get in there. It will give you more options.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:50 pm

hotsauce64 wrote:2.81 GPA, 175 LSAT.

After some debate I have decided to apply to the University of Houston and hope for a full ride. I have been led to believe that a full ride is not only possible but probable with my numbers at a school in this range. Can anybody add any personal insight/advice on this?

Is an addendum even necessary? I don't have a good excuse for my GPA.

Is there any upside to applying to other schools that I more than likely would not attend? For example, I don't want to leave the state of Texas, but would applying to more highly ranked schools increase my chances of scholarship money from U of H, or benefit me in any other way?

Does the late timing of my application warrant any special considerations on my end that normally wouldn't matter? I am hesitant to send in my application before ensuring that some small factor will not have a substantial effect on my scholarship chances.

I have been scrambling around constantly since December LSAT scores were released and am excited to finally be on the home stretch.

Thanks in advance for any help, I really do appreciate it.

HAI THERE NUMBERS TWIN (kinda)! I'm a 2.81/176 split going through the cycle right now :mrgreen:

If I were you, I'd definitely shoot an app to UT. IF your cycle doesn't turn out the way you want it to (full ride at Houston), then I would definitely postpone for a year and re-apply at the beginning of next cycle. Splitters need to get their apps in ASAP to get the most benefit they can.

If you have ties to Texas, I'd also consider shooting apps to some T14 schools -- I was accepted into GULC and NU. Of course, both of these schools are far from Texas, so you'd probably be better served taking a full ride at Houston.

I've applied to Texas this year, but haven't heard back yet (am expecting a WL/R) and I applied late October. You can check out my cycle so far here: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical !!!! :mrgreen:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:52 pm

citykitty wrote:Get a full time job. Wait a year or so. Apply to NU. You'll get in there. It will give you more options.

Normally I would agree, but since OP wants Texas for sure, it might be in their best interest to try for a full ride at a school with a strong rep in Texas, instead of the likely sticker-price at a school across the country. If OP is thinking of working outside of Texas, shooting for GULC, UVa, or NU is definitely TCR.

Regardless though, a year off to get some WE will be beneficial to your application, and you should seriously consider it. (:

phillipjg

Postby phillipjg » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Schools distribute their scholarship money differently. I don't think UH gives out fullrides. On LSN, I think the biggest scholarship I've seen at UH is 15k.

hotsauce64

Postby hotsauce64 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:56 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:HAI THERE NUMBERS TWIN (kinda)! I'm a 2.81/176 split going through the cycle right now :mrgreen:

If I were you, I'd definitely shoot an app to UT. IF your cycle doesn't turn out the way you want it to (full ride at Houston), then I would definitely postpone for a year and re-apply at the beginning of next cycle. Splitters need to get their apps in ASAP to get the most benefit they can.

If you have ties to Texas, I'd also consider shooting apps to some T14 schools -- I was accepted into GULC and NU. Of course, both of these schools are far from Texas, so you'd probably be better served taking a full ride at Houston.

I've applied to Texas this year, but haven't heard back yet (am expecting a WL/R) and I applied late October. You can check out my cycle so far here: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/whimsical !!!! :mrgreen:

Congratulations on NU, that's amazing. Thanks for the advice.

hotsauce64

Postby hotsauce64 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:58 pm

phillipjg wrote:Schools distribute their scholarship money differently. I don't think UH gives out fullrides. On LSN, I think the biggest scholarship I've seen at UH is 15k.

On their website they have something called a "Prestige Scholarship" that gives a full-ride, but they don't sound easy to obtain and with it being so late in the cycle I wasn't sure what to expect. Not even sure where to begin looking for that kind of information.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 pm

hotsauce64 wrote:Congratulations on NU, that's amazing. Thanks for the advice.

Thank you!!! Needless to say, I am OVER THE MOON, NU was my #1 choice this cycle. :mrgreen:

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:16 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
citykitty wrote:Get a full time job. Wait a year or so. Apply to NU. You'll get in there. It will give you more options.

Normally I would agree, but since OP wants Texas for sure, it might be in their best interest to try for a full ride at a school with a strong rep in Texas, instead of the likely sticker-price at a school across the country. If OP is thinking of working outside of Texas, shooting for GULC, UVa, or NU is definitely TCR.

Regardless though, a year off to get some WE will be beneficial to your application, and you should seriously consider it. (:

I don't think the OP stands a chance at UTX, which would obviously be the best choice for the TX market. UH is a good school for TX, but I was under the impression that schollies are rather hard to come by there. With those numbers, I think waiting a year and trying for a school with a larger national reach, even if pricier, might be the better option. With TX ties, it should be fairly simple to get back to TX from a top school.

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:10 pm

If you're going to be a splitter you want to be one with a high LSAT/low GPA and not the other way around so you're already looked upon very favorably among splitters, of which there are many. Since USNWR ranks mainly by LSAT you just have to convince them that the low GPA won't transfer to law school. If you have an upward trend then point that out. What is your major? If it is really hard you could point that out. If it has nothing to do with law or the cognitive skills needed in law school then, in your personal statement you could talk about one class you took that inspired you. A logic class that you got a good grade in would work well.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:11 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:41 pm

hoos89 wrote:
citykitty wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I don't think the OP stands a chance at UTX, which would obviously be the best choice for the TX market. UH is a good school for TX, but I was under the impression that schollies are rather hard to come by there. With those numbers, I think waiting a year and trying for a school with a larger national reach, even if pricier, might be the better option. With TX ties, it should be fairly simple to get back to TX from a top school.

UT has a strong preference for texas residents.

Even so, UT has a high GPA floor so OP's admission chances are rather low. I've heard good things about UH, but I don't know any details.

I didn't see anyone address this yet, but definitely write a GPA addendum. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but you need to acknowledge it and own it. I would also apply to some splitter-friendly schools like GULC. Admission to a highly-ranked school can be very useful during scholarship negotiations.

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 am

Philosopher King wrote:If you're going to be a splitter you want to be one with a high LSAT/low GPA and not the other way around so you're already looked upon very favorably among splitters, of which there are many. Since USNWR ranks mainly by LSAT you just have to convince them that the low GPA won't transfer to law school. If you have an upward trend then point that out. What is your major? If it is really hard you could point that out. If it has nothing to do with law or the cognitive skills needed in law school then, in your personal statement you could talk about one class you took that inspired you. A logic class that you got a good grade in would work well.

Damn my 4.0 major GPA in philosophy should def get me in then. I'm relieved.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:28 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:38 am

hoos89 wrote:I've never understood GPA floors--or at least why they exist. Schools don't have to report averages, so to a school whose 25% GPA is 3.5 a 3.2 is just about the same--statistically speaking--as a 2.5. But then maybe I'm just saying that because I'm a splitter.

I feel ya, man. I don't know if part of it is that most schools do release their GPA range. I suppose that some schools who see GPA as a good indicator of success would then see extreme splitters as too risky. Considering, however, that LSAT scores are stronger (albeit only slighty) predictors of law school success than GPAs, I think that's a silly outlook, though maybe that correlation breaks down for extreme splitters. I would be interested in such data.

I'm just happy that there are a few schools among the elite that don't care to hang their hat on what is often an unfair reflection of one's UG performance when there are other strong predictors of success. I'm looking at you, Northwestern. :mrgreen:

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:47 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:49 am

hoos89 wrote:
Samara wrote:
hoos89 wrote:I've never understood GPA floors--or at least why they exist. Schools don't have to report averages, so to a school whose 25% GPA is 3.5 a 3.2 is just about the same--statistically speaking--as a 2.5. But then maybe I'm just saying that because I'm a splitter.

I feel ya, man. I don't know if part of it is that most schools do release their GPA range. I suppose that some schools who see GPA as a good indicator of success would then see extreme splitters as too risky. Considering, however, that LSAT scores are stronger (albeit only slighty) predictors of law school success than GPAs, I think that's a silly outlook, though maybe that correlation breaks down for extreme splitters. I would be interested in such data.

I'm just happy that there are a few schools among the elite that don't care to hang their hat on what is often an unfair reflection of one's UG performance when there are other strong predictors of success. I'm looking at you, Northwestern. :mrgreen:

unfortunately i don't have any significant w/e. oh well, WUSTL or GW would be just fine for me (and more than i expected with a 2.9). getting a bit nervous with 2/1 coming up when $$ starts going out. congrats on NU, though!

Thanks! WUSTL and GW were top considerations for me too. If I didn't have such strong reasons to stay in Chicago, I would definitely give them strong consideration.

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:50 am

Dr. Filth wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:If you're going to be a splitter you want to be one with a high LSAT/low GPA and not the other way around so you're already looked upon very favorably among splitters, of which there are many. Since USNWR ranks mainly by LSAT you just have to convince them that the low GPA won't transfer to law school. If you have an upward trend then point that out. What is your major? If it is really hard you could point that out. If it has nothing to do with law or the cognitive skills needed in law school then, in your personal statement you could talk about one class you took that inspired you. A logic class that you got a good grade in would work well.

Um no it won't. I said it's mostly LSAT. I have a 4.0 GPA with a major in philosophy too and I am not going to Yale, that's for sure.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:57 am

hotsauce64 wrote:
phillipjg wrote:Schools distribute their scholarship money differently. I don't think UH gives out fullrides. On LSN, I think the biggest scholarship I've seen at UH is 15k.

On their website they have something called a "Prestige Scholarship" that gives a full-ride, but they don't sound easy to obtain and with it being so late in the cycle I wasn't sure what to expect. Not even sure where to begin looking for that kind of information.

the problem is that for the most part, splitters don't get the huge scholarships, since the point of giving them is to increase both LSAT and GPA medians, and although your LSAT is far above Houston's median, it doesn't bring as strong a benefit as a 166/3.8 person. You should try to be willing to go to a school somewhere besides Texas, unless you get into UT

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:00 am

Philosopher King wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:

Um no it won't. I said it's mostly LSAT. I have a 4.0 GPA with a major in philosophy too and I am not going to Yale, that's for sure.

I just meant I have all A's philosophy classes so far, but I'm still rocking a solid sub 3 GPA. Hopefully my A in the logic class will help! I thank God every day when I wake up that there's a test that can bail out my lazy splitter ass.

OP I'd be willing to bet Northwestern, assuming WE, or UVa ED, if they say yes, would be way to go if you want a job in Texas.

Philosopher King

Postby Philosopher King » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:24 am

I'm not sure what you originally meant then Dr. Filth.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:40 am

Dr. Filth wrote:
Philosopher King wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:

I just meant I have all A's philosophy classes so far, but I'm still rocking a solid sub 3 GPA. Hopefully my A in the logic class will help! I thank God every day when I wake up that there's a test that can bail out my lazy splitter ass.

OP I'd be willing to bet Northwestern, assuming WE, or UVa ED, if they say yes, would be way to go if you want a job in Texas.

gpa is a touch low for UVA ED

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:OP I'd be willing to bet Northwestern, assuming WE, or UVa ED, if they say yes, would be way to go if you want a job in Texas.

gpa is a touch low for UVA ED

Not necessarily.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”