Applying to a school (Northwestern) you don't want to attend Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gman1978

New

Applying to a school (Northwestern) you don't want to attend

Post by gman1978 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:37 pm

I'm a non-trad student applying to four schools in the southeast: Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, UVA. It is very likely that I will attend one of the first three for geographical reasons, but money may be an issue in the decision. My numbers make me overqualified (above 75th percentile) for Wake and UNC and right on the border for Duke and UVA. Someone suggested to me that Northwestern really likes non-trad applicants and that even if I have no intention of attending it is a good idea to send them an app and burn the $100 fee, in order to hopefully get a scholarship offer that I can use as leverage if it comes down to money with any of the above school. Does anyone have thoughts on this? I'm reluctant to waste my time and that of the admissions committee, and looking at Northwestern it appears that I would have to schedule an interview as well.
Last edited by gman1978 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Applying to a school (Northwestern) you don't want to attend

Post by bk1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:41 pm

You should definitely apply to peer schools so you can leverage scholarship money. A lot of people apply to schools they would never attend just with the intent of leveraging.

1. It's not a waste of your time since you could turn that $100 app fee into thousands of dollars if you do get to leverage it.

2. Who cares about the adcomms' time? It's their job to sift through applications.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:05 pm

It is remarkable how your opinion about a school changes when you see their scholarship offer.

gman1978

New

Post by gman1978 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Another issue is that I live in North Carolina, and it's past the deadline for off-campus interviews. So I'd either have to apply with no interview (would this kill the app) or travel to Chicago to interview, which means several hundred dollars and two days time.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:52 pm

gman1978 wrote:Another issue is that I live in North Carolina, and it's past the deadline for off-campus interviews. So I'd either have to apply with no interview (would this kill the app) or travel to Chicago to interview, which means several hundred dollars and two days time.
I'd just apply without interviewing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:56 pm

1. You can interview with alum in your area(although I don't know if the deadline has passed on that)

2. If your numbers are really that good then you should have received a fee waiver from NW, if not email them and they will give you on (so you are only wasting 16 bucks)

danielhay11

Bronze

Post by danielhay11 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Remember, overqualified at UNC and Wake =/= in at NW. All this really depends on your numbers. If you're at/near the medians, I'd say go for it and, at the very least, you may end up with some T14 scholly leverage for your in-state favorites. If you're closer to NW's 25ths, then you might be wasting an app.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:23 pm

I was assuming
gman1978 wrote:right on the border for Duke and UVA
means he is right at the border of their 75%. Splits would help us give better advice...

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:20 am

If his LSAT score is competitive for Duke/UVA, he'll qualify for a fee waiver for NU. If OP hasn't received one yet, it may be smart to email NU for a fee waiver to avoid "burning $100".

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:52 am

Tom Joad wrote:It is remarkable how your opinion about a school changes when you see their scholarship offer.
Credited... but equally remarkable how badly you flip out when you get a 2.95 and lose it all.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:31 am

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:It is remarkable how your opinion about a school changes when you see their scholarship offer.
Credited... but equally remarkable how badly you flip out when you get a 2.95 and lose it all.
Ummm... I believe a large number of T14s have scholarship requirements lower than that... 2.5 or no requirement at all at a few. If you qualify to stay enrolled, you're good.

I'd worry about losing the scholarship after you get it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”