Put LSAC gpa or school gpa on application to law schools?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dkalinow

Put LSAC gpa or school gpa on application to law schools?

Postby dkalinow » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Under the education section of the applications to law schools, do put my undergrad gpa or my lsac gpa?

cinephile

Re: Put LSAC gpa or school gpa on application to law schools?

Postby cinephile » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Not sure it matters, but FWIW I put my school GPA (which was lower than LSAC GPA) on my apps.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:12 pm

The one that's on your official transcript. Doesn't make much sense to me to use a number that LSAC made up for you.

Before you ask: yes, I am a little sore that my LSDAS GPA is lower than my official GPA.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:15 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:The one that's on your official transcript. Doesn't make much sense to me to use a number that LSAC made up for you.

Agreed, and my LSAC GPA was a bit higher than my institutional GPA. The GPA your institution gives you is your actual GPA.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:19 pm

On my resume, I listed my LSAC GPA. On my apps, I listed my school GPA.

dkalinow

Postby dkalinow » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:20 pm

thank you

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:The one that's on your official transcript. Doesn't make much sense to me to use a number that LSAC made up for you.

Agreed, and my LSAC GPA was a bit higher than my institutional GPA. The GPA your institution gives you is your actual GPA.

Me too. On applications and resume.
I figured, it's listed next to my UG school and degree. I graduated from Whatever State U with a X.XX GPA, not with the GPA LSAC calculated.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Whatever you do, I'd recommend keeping it consistent across your application (i.e. resume, FlexApp's 'Education' section)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:26 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Whatever you do, I'd recommend keeping it consistent across your application (i.e. resume, FlexApp's 'Education' section)

Agreed. The only time you should ever give your LSAC-calculated GPA is when they explicitly ask you for it.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Whatever you do, I'd recommend keeping it consistent across your application (i.e. resume, FlexApp's 'Education' section)

Agreed. The only time you should ever give your LSAC-calculated GPA is when they explicitly ask you for it.

Probably the better route, but I doubt it'll make much of a difference either way.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Like many things on your application, it matters little.

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:53 pm

I put my school GPA on both my applications and resume. My LSDAS GPA was only a small fraction lower than my school GPA.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:16 am

Whichever is higher is fine to list on your resume/on the LSAC form (don't round to the nearest tenth though i.e. don't put 3.7 instead of 3.65). Source: three admissions deans of t10 schools.

That's what I did and I don't think it's hurt my cycle yet.

ETA: My LSAC GPA was a tiny bit higher than my school's GPA so I listed my LSAC GPA (specifying "LSAC GPA") on my resume as well as on the flexapp.

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:03 am

My school GPA is higher and I list that exactly how it's typed on my school transcript--no rounding here.

I do have one question though...and I've always been curious about this: Do most people have higher college GPA's or higher LSAC GPA's??

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:28 pm

clarified_butter wrote:My school GPA is higher and I list that exactly how it's typed on my school transcript--no rounding here.

I do have one question though...and I've always been curious about this: Do most people have higher college GPA's or higher LSAC GPA's??

It really depends on circumstances.

If your school gives A+s and calculates them as 4.0s and you've received A+s then your LSAC GPA is likely higher (since LSAC calculates A+s as 4.33).

If your school replaces past failed grades with new passing grades, then your school GPA will likely be higher (since LSAC calculates all grades including any "replaced" failing ones).

There are other subtle differences in how GPAs are calculated that could result in disparities between the two grades. For example, although my school doesn't give A+s, my LSAC GPA is higher because we have .5 unit mini-seminar courses (which are fairly easy to do well in--if you can get into them) that the school doesn't calculate into it's cumulative GPA but LSAC does.

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:02 pm

The difference between my two GPA's is: 0.02--not very much at all. I wonder why LSAC even bothers to recalculate GPA's.

Do you think that there are people out there that had their GPA's severely lowered by this recalculation process?

Hopefully2012 wrote:
clarified_butter wrote:My school GPA is higher and I list that exactly how it's typed on my school transcript--no rounding here.

It really depends on circumstances.

If your school gives A+s and calculates them as 4.0s and you've received A+s then your LSAC GPA is likely higher (since LSAC calculates A+s as 4.33).

If your school replaces past failed grades with new passing grades, then your school GPA will likely be higher (since LSAC calculates all grades including any "replaced" failing ones).

There are other subtle differences in how GPAs are calculated that could result in disparities between the two grades. For example, although my school doesn't give A+s, my LSAC GPA is higher because we have .5 unit mini-seminar courses (which are fairly easy to do well in--if you can get into them) that the school doesn't calculate into it's cumulative GPA but LSAC does.

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:22 pm

I don't think it will make much of a difference, my school actually broke up my GPA into sections for my first year and a half and then afterwards when I entered my degree program and didn't bother to give me a cumulative score on my official transcript. I actually ended up putting my GPA for my program (a lower number) on my applications, but the schools will have your full LSAC report so they'll be able to see how all the numbers shake out. In the end it won't make much of a difference since they'll likely use the LSAC GPA to make sure you're on an even scale with all the other applicants.

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:57 pm

I feel like an idiot. I actually left the GPA blank on the education because I wasn't sure which one they wanted, along with the fact that LSAC sends my transcript over. Looks like I'll be calling a couple schools now...

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:15 pm

I would definitely call them and see what they have to say. In the end, they will probably just look at the LSAC report and your college transcripts.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:03 am

clarified_butter wrote:Do you think that there are people out there that had their GPA's severely lowered by this recalculation process?

Yes, a friend of mine who was convinced that graduate schools must follow the same policies as her undergrad ended up with ~6 Ds/Fs on her transcript because she always just assumed that her re-takes would replace the first grade in law school apps as well.

I would imagine that her LSAC GPA is about .5 lower than her cumulative college GPA (maybe more).

penguinbrah

Postby penguinbrah » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:47 am

it's absolutely absurd that LSAC GPA counts grades from 6 years ago from different institutions that have been repeated especially when your current gpa is a 4.0 and your gpa from an institution 6 years ago was a 2.0. yes im pissed, i neglected school 6 years ago to work on a risky business failed out of numerous classes despite attempting to take them. am back in school now getting straight A's but the LSAC wants to average in my old grades? bs.

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 am

You are basically branded by the grades you received while an undergraduate student--whether they be good or bad ones.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”