Question about Resumes Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dkalinow

New

Question about Resumes

Post by dkalinow » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:01 am

Got some questions about the application resumes-

1. TLS suggests I include a section on 3 important classes pertinent to my major, is this necessary?

2. I've been working for one company, part time and full time throughout high school and college. Had a couple summer jobs in high school, should I include these?

3. Was an athlete for most of my undergrads? Include this?

4. Should I include anything from high school? (Seems like I should leave out HS and focus on undergrads.)

5. In since my apps will be in before I graduate, should I put "en route graduating w/ honors" or just put "graduating w/ honors"?

Hope this makes sense. And thanks for the help. Good luck to those in the same boat as me.

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Question about Resumes

Post by r6_philly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:06 am

1. TLS suggests I include a section on 3 important classes pertinent to my major, is this necessary?

No.

2. I've been working for one company, part time and full time throughout high school and college. Had a couple summer jobs in high school, should I include these?

No.

Absolutely. Include awards if applicable.

4. Should I include anything from high school? (Seems like I should leave out HS and focus on undergrads.)

No.

5. In since my apps will be in before I graduate, should I put "en route graduating w/ honors" or just put "graduating w/ honors"?

No. You don't have honors until you receive them.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:07 am

dkalinow wrote:Got some questions about the application resumes-

Hope this makes sense. And thanks for the help. Good luck to those in the same boat as me.
Never included relevant course work. Space will be at a premium on your resume and they will already have your transcript in front of them.

If you have held a job during college and you have the space to include than you should absolutely include it (especially if you worked during your undergraduate terms). Don't include work that you had exclusively in high school.

Yes include the fact that you were an athlete (I'm assuming you were a club or d-1/2/3 athlete; if you just did intermurals don't include it). Do not include anything from high school. \

edit: beat me to it.

dkalinow

New

Post by dkalinow » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:24 am

Thanks guys, this helps a great deal.

And yes I was a D1 athlete.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:44 am

dkalinow wrote:Thanks guys, this helps a great deal.

Definitely mention it. Some schools want you to list # hours for each activity on your resume. I think it may help you if you do that anyways for all of your apps(show a commitment to something else during your time in school).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:29 am

FryBreadPower wrote:
dkalinow wrote:Thanks guys, this helps a great deal.

Definitely mention it. Some schools want you to list # hours for each activity on your resume. I think it may help you if you do that anyways for all of your apps(show a commitment to something else during your time in school).
I had my athletic pursuits in a completely separate section (well it was years, and I feel like it was an extraordinary accomplishment) and it was well received by adcoms. I would put it on your resume in a way that sticks out. If publications and research experience can command own sections, so should D1 sport. Outline the commitment and accomplishments definitely.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:30 am

I'm curious as to why listing athletic accomplishments is looked highly upon. Most people who play sports competitively through high school can play D1. It's not that hard to play D1 in the NEC, Conference USA, or some other crappy D1 conference. I had D1 offers and I never put much effort into training outside of practice. I guess I think if people put a ton of time into sports, most could make a D1 team. Maybe playing football at a Big Ten school is something. I just don't find it that impressive. Why do schools? Because of the time committment?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:25 pm

89vision wrote:I'm curious as to why listing athletic accomplishments is looked highly upon. Most people who play sports competitively through high school can play D1. It's not that hard to play D1 in the NEC, Conference USA, or some other crappy D1 conference. I had D1 offers and I never put much effort into training outside of practice. I guess I think if people put a ton of time into sports, most could make a D1 team. Maybe playing football at a Big Ten school is something. I just don't find it that impressive. Why do schools? Because of the time committment?
Time commitment, plus maturity in ability to juggle responsibilities, team work, competitiveness, drive, determination, ability to overcome obstacles and defeat, etc.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:30 pm

How much of a leg up is a D1 over NAIA, DII, or DIII?

All divisions require the criteria you posted. Does it come down to selectivity in sports programs?

The time commitment is not drastically greater the better the division. You are just expected to be at every event at D1 vs. lower divisions. I don't see why a D1 sport is looked upon positively. It's not that great of an accomplishment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dkalinow

New

Post by dkalinow » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:39 pm

89vision wrote:How much of a leg up is a D1 over NAIA, DII, or DIII?

All divisions require the criteria you posted. Does it come down to selectivity in sports programs?

The time commitment is not drastically greater the better the division. You are just expected to be at every event at D1 vs. lower divisions. I don't see why a D1 sport is looked upon positively. It's not that great of an accomplishment.
You do not see too many television coverages on D2, D3, NAIA sports. It is mainly D1 programs which are in the spotlight. In order to compete at a D1, one needs to be recruited. It is more competitive than the lower divisions. However, one can excel just the same in D3 level, yet it is more difficult due to less competition and publicity.

Yes, it comes down to selectivity in sports programs.

Time commitment may not be drastically greater the better the division. But there is a reason why D1 programs, no matter what the sport, tend to be better then D3 programs. It does come down to finances and ability to recruit. Yet, D1 programs have been known to be more demanding physically and mentally.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:32 pm

[/quote]

You do not see too many television coverages on D2, D3, NAIA sports. It is mainly D1 programs which are in the spotlight. In order to compete at a D1, one needs to be recruited. It is more competitive than the lower divisions. However, one can excel just the same in D3 level, yet it is more difficult due to less competition and publicity.

Yes, it comes down to selectivity in sports programs.

Time commitment may not be drastically greater the better the division. But there is a reason why D1 programs, no matter what the sport, tend to be better then D3 programs. It does come down to finances and ability to recruit. Yet, D1 programs have been known to be more demanding physically and mentally.[/quote]

You absolutely DO NOT need to be recruited to play DI. That is a myth. There is something called "walking on." There are endless examples of non recruited athletes succeeding at various levels.

I am fully aware of the recruitment for sports. I was recruited by small DI schools, every DII school in my state, and every DIII school I applied to. I played ODP, played for people who are at the who whose of schools for my sport. It seriously is not difficult for a competitive athlete to make a DI program, so why do law schools care?

The criteria that was listed that I quoted did not state selectivity, and all divisions of sports met that criteria.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”