Adversity Statement: What exactly does socio-economic imply? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nodiggity

New

Adversity Statement: What exactly does socio-economic imply?

Post by nodiggity » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:57 pm

I wrote my adversity statement about what I had to overcome with an abusive, addict father. However, does this properly fit into what they are looking for when they ask you to describe socio-economic difficulties a la UCLA?

FryBreadPower

Silver

Re: Adversity Statement: What exactly does socio-economic imply?

Post by FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:02 pm

I wouldn't take the requirements so literally. It may not be what you would usually consider "socio-economic" but it makes you diverse and obviously presented obstacles that you had to overcome to get to where you are. No one would require that Diversity Statement and say "oh, this is just reaching. This totally doesn't belong here - DENY."

But, seeing as this issues are often tied to socio-economic circumstances, you may want to connect your situation to hese circumstances if they exist.

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:03 pm

nodiggity wrote:I wrote my adversity statement about what I had to overcome with an abusive, addict father. However, does this properly fit into what they are looking for when they ask you to describe socio-economic difficulties a la UCLA?
This is not what I think of as a socio-economic problem. It is definitely overcoming adversity though. Doesn't UCLA have like a generic optional addenda? If not, just label your statement "Adversity Statement".

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:01 pm

nodiggity wrote:I wrote my adversity statement about what I had to overcome with an abusive, addict father. However, does this properly fit into what they are looking for when they ask you to describe socio-economic difficulties a la UCLA?
Social workers would be assigned to a case like yours. It is a social issue. When put against the context of other students at law school, you definitely overcame adversity. I say that you should write it.

planeride

New

Post by planeride » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:36 am

FryBreadPower wrote:I wouldn't take the requirements so literally. It may not be what you would usually consider "socio-economic" but it makes you diverse and obviously presented obstacles that you had to overcome to get to where you are. No one would require that Diversity Statement and say "oh, this is just reaching. This totally doesn't belong here - DENY."

But, seeing as this issues are often tied to socio-economic circumstances, you may want to connect your situation to these circumstances if they exist.
I agree with this. Also, not sure what the UCLA app does, but on most apps the essays are just slapped into a PDF file with no labeling. They might not even care/notice whether it comes in as an "adversity statement" or just a separate addendum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”